How much is Enough??

This is a discussion on How much is Enough?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kimber Pro-Carry II that I am considering selling to get one of these. The Kimber does not jam anymore and now works ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is Enough??

How much is Enough??

I have a Kimber Pro-Carry II that I am considering selling to get one of these. The Kimber does not jam anymore and now works great (8+1 45 ACP). But I need a home defense gun/travel gun that has more firepower and one I can count on everytime. Its hard to part with it since I finally got the gun to where I want it. I guess I'll just leave it as a tinker gun that I can use as a backup and buy the XD-M 40 .

My pressing issue now is that I need to get a Ruger LCP. There's a gun show in town this weekend and I'm going to be there first thing saturday and see if I can snag one. I need a quality IWB holster for my Kahr CW9 and maybe I can find one there as well. I have a CHL but no pocket gun.

There's been a rash of shootings lately in our area. A couple of days ago I was in a dark parking lot, I was leaving Barns and Noble after some free reading. I was about 20 feet from my car and had disabled the car alarm when a guy in a cap and a loose fitting pullover started asking me for money. If he had a gun he would have had me dead bang and that was a sinking feeling. I could have been shot for the 5 bucks in my wallet and my wife's new toyota camry. And yes I was unarmed. My wife is gonna HOWL when I come home with the LCP but screw it man this is an emergency .

I realized the the ankle holster I bought for the CW9 is not a real option (I was wearing shorts at the time) at least not as a primary gun. I need something I can draw instantly. The last thing I need is to get caught in a shootout without a gun.

If that ain't bad enough, I live in the Rio Grande Valley and there is word that the Mexican Zeta hit squads have gotten the green light and have started operating in our area, thats the US side of the border. These guys are Ex-Mexican special forces that have been trained in the US but have now formed their very own drug cartel . Their MO is to show up in full military gear, 8 to 12 guys in two black suburbans and kidnap and/or kill everything in sight .

2. Remove Ads

What does Texas have to say about carrying grenades? 8-12 professional thugs huh? Pistol?

Just how does a band of criminals or a gang get the "green light"? Who gives the "green light"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Administrator
    I think spending money on training would be a better choice rather than another gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    What does Texas have to say about carrying grenades? 8-12 professional thugs huh? Pistol?
    Wonder if Comp-Tac or Little Bear can make a concealment holster for that?

The Kimber's a good gun but if you've lost trust/faith with it......move on. Keep your head on a swivle and check your six. Book stores can be just as bad as Wally-World parking lots that late at night.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Well a good IWB is the Mtac, by Comptac. LCP's are around, just do some looking and don't be surprised if the the gun show folks think they have GOLD and want huge prices, just like some shops around here. I found one on line for a great price. Sent a PM to you.

I'm trying to understand why the 8+1 in .45 is not enough? If you encounter 8-12 thugs in full military gear I don't think it's going to matter if you have 9 rounds or a 100.

As far as the pocket gun, the LCP is alright, but I don't understand why you don't get a holster and carry your Kimber.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elgriton View Post
    The last thing I need is to get caught in a shootout without a gun.
    It ain't a shoot out if you are without a gun.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    It ain't a shoot out if you are without a gun.

+1. At that point, it's a shot at......!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I agree with Sixto, keep the gun you got and get training. Please don't take offense but you don't sound like the type of guy that the drug cartels are after. If you see suburbans rolling up, leave the area, they are not after you. And if they were, it doesn't matter what you have, you won't take out 12 guys. The gun you got is more then adequite for a CCW. Good luck!

Also, those LCP's make a great back up gun and are better then nothing but it isn't as good as your Kimber inside your waist band.
    Last edited by Ragin Cajun; August 28th, 2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Added text

The Green Light...

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

Just how does a band of criminals or a gang get the "green light"? Who gives the "green light"? Inquiring minds want to know.
    The Mexican Zeta problem was included to highlight the crime in my area. As far as I know I'm not on a hit list and if I see something like that going down I'm NOT getting involved.

I live in Texas but I work in Mexico every day. Its a long story but here goes... The last line of defense was the Mexican army. The Mexican Army has failed in curtailing border violence in Mexico, its not that they haven't tried, they have, but they have lost the support of local (mexican) law enforcement and the general population. In some cases the Zetas just use better tactics than the local and federal law enforcement and after a fire fight a lot of cops end up dead versus none or maybe a couple of the bad guys. They have much better intel than the the cops and daylight operations in the city of Reynosa, where I work, have included firefights in the downtown streets using automatic weapons, grenades, and rocket launchers. The cops invariably lose. A few days ago a local police chief was gunned down less than 24 hours on the job. the previous guy had met a similar demise days earlier. After this incident a couple of more cops on the same force were tortured then beheaded. The next day 20 of the remaining cops quit and went into hiding. The Mexican army had to come in and take over the city.

I have the sinking feeling that the tide has turned and the cartels feel that they now have cart blanche in Mexico and in some areas of the northern border. There is one more critical component to this phenomenon that I need to mention. The new way of thinking in these parts is that it is better to live large in a narco gang and die violently before age 30 than to live in grinding poverty to a ripe old age. If your exploits are big enough and if your lucky you will be immortalized in a Mexican "corrido" or a song/ballet that is played endlessly on the radio and local bars and dance halls glorifing your short but extravagent life....

To answer the original question, the GREEN light is given at the upper levels of the cartel and it is based on the risks versus rewards. As long as they feel they can get away with it and there is money to be made and new markets and smuggling routes to be exploited its only going to get worse.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like some SEAL teams need to go invisible and start taking these people out. The way I see it, it is no different than a clandestine invasion. If these Zeta's are the ones that we trained up in the various SPECWAR communitys, the cops wont even be a significant bump on their journey.

Its time to fight fire with fire.

If I were heading the operation, I wouldnt stop until the last one was accounted for.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have a full size Kimber I carry full time24/7 I wear shorts all summer. I drill in the house with empty gun drawing, from concealment, with tight retention, to full presentation, safety off, safety on, with and without pulling trigger, so when the time comes I won’t spend time thinking, it will just sort of just happen. Whatever it takes shooting or just presentation.

Your best weapon against the BG is awareness first, then your ability to out shoot him if need be. I live in Detroit and go to some of the worst of areas in the city, at times well after dark.

Part of their program is to terrorize you ASAP. It starts when they pull up the white t shirt grab the gun and present it. It’s all to show dominance over you, the victim. Some never clear their belts, and you would be shocked at how many don’t have any rounds in the gun (not something to count on) or only one or two rounds, not to mention knowing how it works.

Don’t be afraid to look into their eyes (it’s the reason at the stop n rob cashier looks into your eyes and says hello) not suggesting to stair them down. Give them a nod or mumble something and keep moving no cigarettes, lights, spare change, directions, nothing!

Never leave home without it!

Back to the OP for the Kahr CW9 I would suggest what I use. It's the High Noon Split Decision Tuckable IWB holster. It conceals well and is a good quality holster. The problem I would have in your situation is the magazine capacity of the CW9. It's a great CC gun but you may need more capacity and firepower. IMHO
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think spending money on training would be a better choice rather than another gun.

What he said.

+1 on spending the $$ on training. The Kimber is a great gun, & 45cal. is high on the "handgun firepower" scale.
    If you want a back-up gun then more power to ya, as only you know what will keep you comfortable,...and a back-up guin is carried by many of us at times. And it sounds like from where you travel it could be a wise decision to pack whatever you can.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links