How much prep for carry?

This is a discussion on How much prep for carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Approximately how much prep, and what kind, did you do before starting to carry? Trips to the range, rounds fired, carry around the house time ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much prep for carry?

How much prep for carry?

Approximately how much prep, and what kind, did you do before starting to carry? Trips to the range, rounds fired, carry around the house time etc.? Did you do some empty holster carrying first to help build a new mindset and awareness level?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Cy

2. Remove Ads

No special prep with the gun. Thats because I have been shooting since grade school. If you need to I would get very comfortable with your chosen firearm. Fire it enough to get comfortable as well as to make sure its reliable. Many autos need to be broke in.

As for how I was gonna carry I did plenty of reading. I was lucky to have some friends with 1911's and I borrowed different holsters from them to see which ones were comfortable and sturdy.
    For me the holster was the big decision. It will make all the difference when you carry. BTW I picked the Milt Sparks II.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Well, for me, I am of the "older" crowd in age, so it is not new to me to handle a gun of any kind.

I grew up with shotguns in the house, I am former military and I have owned guns myself since I have been out of the military.

However, my advice is to be very familiar with the gun you choose to carry. You should be able to find it, unholster it and operate it in the dark, blindfolded.

Unload it (make certain its empty!) and carry it around your house and property. Get used to it being there and how to access it. Dry fire it a lot. Draw and aim.

Get to a range often. There is no substitute for using it live fire. You should be very accurate with it (self defense accurate, not pistol match accurate) and comfortable using it.

Get some self defense training if you can afford it.

Most of all, if you are going to carry it, you should be very certain you will USE IT if needed.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I've been getting comfortable with the pistol. About 1200-1400 rounds through it at the range so far over about 10 trips. I'll make several more trips to various ranges by the time I have the CCDW in hand. And also I have cleaned the weapon numerous times as well so I'm learning that functionality as well. I've been working on good finger placement/control while around the house which seems to be coming along nicely (off trigger along slide).

I know a good holster can take some time to find but overall it seems like awareness is a biggie and not as easy to build as one might think. Maybe it's just me. I'm trying to work on being aware while not looking paranoid or aggressive!

EDIT: Speaking of accurate, here in KY they use a B-21 target which is quite large. I asked where on the target the 11/20 hits had to be and several instructors have said "anywhere in the black"! I was shocked to learn that so little accuracy is required at 21 feet. At least that is one part of the test I think I can pass (maybe even blindfolded).

Cy

VIP Member
    I do a lot of shooting of my chosen weapon before I start carrying it. I also like to do some empty weapon draw and fire from my IWB holster before I repeat the same with live ammo. Just my preference I guess.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    I was raised around guns, so I was quite comfortable with CCW. The only thing I had to work on is having a CCW weapon that did not have a manual safety on it. My first CCW gun was a XD, and the idea of carrying it with-out a safety was very new to me and made me a little nervous. Now I will not carry a CCW weapon with a safety.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyklopz View Post
    Approximately how much prep, and what kind, did you do before starting to carry? Trips to the range, rounds fired, carry around the house time etc.? Did you do some empty holster carring first to help build a new mindset and awareness level?
    To begin with, I will assume that you have done a lot of reading, and of course have a good grasp of the safety rules - always an absolute must. Have more than a casual familiarity your handgun -- everything from loading to disassemby and reassembly. More familiarization including dry firing, and repeated loading, chambering, unloading, and then of course, range firing to the extent that your time and budget will permit.

Walking around with an empty holster is akin to non-swimmer developing a swimming mindset by wearing his bathing suit without getting into the water. The bathing suit does not develop the "mindset." It is the conquering of the "real water" that develops the mindset.

At least initially, open carry is a snap when compared to concealed carry which is an art in and of itself. Confidence in carrying concealed comes from frequently carrying the real thing, and overcoming the feeling that everyone knows that you are carrying. Without proper concealed carry clothing and a proper holster, it is difficult to develop this confidence. The more you carry, the less sef-conscious you become, and eventually you are totally at home with the concealed carry environment.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've been carrying *something* around the farm since I was about 12. The day I got my permission slip, the farm got really big.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyklopz View Post
    Approximately how much prep, and what kind, did you do before starting to carry?
    U.S. Navy Seabees. Out Conus, I carried a hammer on one side and a .45 on the other. I've been around guns my whole life.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I'm about 30 days from getting my CWP, here in SC it's about 90 days start to finish. I got my UBG Striker this week so I have been wearing it around the house with my Bersa 9 UC. The UBG is a nice holster and wears well, I fell asleep on the couch the other night wearing it.

Dave

For me, I started from scratch only having fired a pistol a handful of times. So, I spent 2yrs and ~10Krds+ per year while I gained experienced, training and thought about the issues. At the end of that period, I was sufficiently confident I wouldn't hurt the proverbial "three yr old child" in the background, if forced to use lethal force to defend my life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gun safety is the key to preperation, you need to know it and live by it. There is no room for error. The weapon become part of you, always know where it is and what it's doing, and it will be there for you if the need ever arises.
    ** NRA Life Member***

Colt Defender .45
    Kel-Tec .380

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.

Grew up with shotties, got my first pistol in 1981.(.357) Been around them pretty much my whole life. When I decided to get a CHL, I looked for a gun to carry while I waited to take the class. After buying my carry gun, I started wearing it around the house to try out different carry positions and holsters. Also did lots of reading on the subject. Been packing in texas for about 10 months now

It doesn't matter if you were born with the gun in your hand, you should practice as much as possible! I shoot at least once a week! 500 rounds a trip minimum. I try different scenarios, and shoot from a variety of postions. Including moving at angles while trying to maintain sight picture. I see constant improvement in my accuracy, which is what is all about!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

I won't carry any sidearm until I've got some trigger time with it. Once I know the gun and how I handle it I'm carrying it.

My prep began, for me, in grade school. I've been around guns and shooting for many, many moons. Sixteen years (so far) active duty just added to what I already knew and have experienced.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links