Day to day stress - fuze length? - Page 2

Day to day stress - fuze length?

This is a discussion on Day to day stress - fuze length? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chris, I think we all have been there. But, remember we can think and don't have to react. Actually, I've noticed that when I have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day to day stress - fuze length?

Chris,
    I think we all have been there. But, remember we can think and don't have to react. Actually, I've noticed that when I have my sidearm, I'm much more polite and considerate (not that I'm rude or borish).

Perhaps I feel a bit more selfconfident, I don't know. I do know this, when you have the power of life and death you have a greater sense of responsiblity.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Quote Originally Posted by dpesec
    Chris,
    I think we all have been there. But, remember we can think and don't have to react. Actually, I've noticed that when I have my sidearm, I'm much more polite and considerate (not that I'm rude or borish).

Perhaps I feel a bit more selfconfident, I don't know. I do know this, when you have the power of life and death you have a greater sense of responsiblity.
    AND obligation.

I have a very long fuse......I think LOl
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'm not so worried about stress leading to my shooting someone that shouldn't be shot, but it may lead to poor situational awareness on my part. I may not be in condition yellow, or orange because I am pre-occupied by my stress. It may keep me from being able to avoid an attack. Sometimes it is hard to focus on this aspect if you are worried about work, deadlines, your marriage, etc..
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Chris,

A quick check of someone's stress level might be to check your driving...if it affects your driving (being more aggressive, etc.), it'll probably affect other attitudes/awareness as well. I usually find out how stressful a day I'm having on my drive home from work. I then try to adjust accordingly...I like the signature "Slow down, you'll have a more harmonious outcome" (I forget who has it).

Fred
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

The only time that I get angry easiely is when I've been drinking (but that is getting better) so I don't have/carry a gun when I've been doing that.

I went through a bout of fatique a couple of months ago for about 1 week. I didn't carry but all I did was either goto and from work and home, didn't stop anyplace inbetween. Was probably from a bout of depression.

The only thing is, who has the say that a person that has a short fuse, or that has depression, or personality disorder should or should not be able to protect themselves? The individual should but should a gun board or the government who won't be around 24/7 to provide protection?

I've found that the freedoms that we have override/trump everyone's sense of security.

Wayne

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    In my job (I'm a nuclear test engineer) my stress level dealing with government deadlines, beurocrosy (sp -1) and the added anality that comes with nuclear power can get very high. But I have learned that what I am stressed about does not affect me outside the gates of the shipyard. I can be a little short in the hour or so after work, but I do not believe that would cause me to draw when I should not.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Administrator

Angry NO NO ~ Don't Lose It!

I hardly ever get burning hot mad.
    Rarely do I ever even get seriously POed.
    I have carried when I've been angry & upset. The thought has never even crossed my mind to use my firearm in an aggressive manner.

People need to learn how to CHILL themselves.

ABSOLUTELY...There ARE people who should NOT carry. There are people that totally LOSE IT & they cannot control their actions.
    They should not carry a firearm or any other weapon if they go "out of control" & do not realize what they are doing when they spazz.

If you get super POed to the point where you truly don't know what you're gonna do next...then either punch a wall HARD!...or chuck the gun down a sewer.
    Do yourself a favor & save yourself some prison time.

I go for a long hard run with my dog if I ever feel like I'm getting in a bad mood.
    It's IMPOSSIBLE for me to stay in a bad mood if I spend some time playing with my Cocker Spaniel.
    She is such a loving dog that it just melts me & I start smiling again.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I was talking at shooting club this evening with a guy who is very stressed - work, marriage, finances - all the nasty things. He was commenting on - and wondering - whether his high stress state might affect his carry judgement.
    If this guy is aware that he is stressed, then I'd say that a) he has his act together, and b) he's probably just fine.

One nice thing about being licensed to carry: it is a self-imposed self-discipline, like having a black belt. You know that you must not misuse either, so you exercise self-control that you may not otherwise believe you have. It's good practice for life in general.

There is a saying in martial arts: "Karate is not just for the dojo." IOW, when training, you must be ready to fight, yet treat others with courtesy and respect. That should not change when you leave the training facility. Always be ready, always conduct yourself appropriately. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone subscribed to a similar philosophy?

SSKC

Assistant Administrator
    treat others with courtesy and respect. That should not change when you leave the training facility. Always be ready, always conduct yourself appropriately. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone subscribed to a similar philosophy?
    Very true SSKC - and I think it parallels what should be the case with carry. It is ''empowerment'' - meaning having the ability, the tools and skills to use IF required - should generate a greater degree of good conduct.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links