Concealed carry restrictions....Getting rid of them....

This is a discussion on Concealed carry restrictions....Getting rid of them.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by IndianaDean I'd get rid of needing permits, and I'd overturn all of the illegal firearms bans over the years, i.e. the machine ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry restrictions....Getting rid of them....

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaDean
    I'd get rid of needing permits, and I'd overturn all of the illegal firearms bans over the years, i.e. the machine gun ban in the 30s, the 1968 legislation, etc.

I'd also force all states and cities to abide by the Bill of Rights.
    That would be nice. But I think our best bet would be to get rid of the pistol free zones first, then work on getting rid of the need for permits. As it is, I doubt if this is something we'll see in my life time.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    lower cost of getting the permit would be nice, since it is suppose to be a right. Also the gun free zones could be tossed out, especially for teachers. Rifle/shotgun carry in vehicle passenger compartment would be nice too. I don't think MI is all that bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    lower cost of getting the permit would be nice, since it is suppose to be a right. Also the gun free zones could be tossed out, especially for teachers. Rifle/shotgun carry in vehicle passenger compartment would be nice too. I don't think MI is all that bad though.
    There are states with worse laws than Michigan...like Ohio.

VIP Member
    Other than the aforementioned Vermont style carry, what one thing would you change about your state carry permit?
    Well, I'd like to be able to legally carry into restaurants that serve alcohol. It's a personal responsibility thing, and I don't drink. I'd like to be able to legally carry everywhere.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    the restrictions on using batons and more potent pepper spray could be lifted as well. Luckily we can carrry in restaurants that serve.

Euc,
    Yes I understand 100%. I was, operative phrase was, teaching in school for teens with behavior/learning issues. I hold 2 PhDs, and was told that I wasn't a qualifed teacher. Talk about being slapped. I'm now adjunct faculity on two universities which makes the income rough to predict, but I'm not a political football anymore.

I also have done some teaching in the prison system. Everything ranging form maximun security to minimum. I honestly felt safer in the prison with murders and the like than in the public school system.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Be able to legally carry everywhere, in any state, without restrictions because of federal or state requirments. Hand in hand with this should be unification of laws throughout the country. It is mind numbing trying to keep up with the differences sometimes.

Betty's objection to the alcohol restriction is a good one. Here in Minnesota we have no such restriction but as an instructor I teach you don't drink and drive, and you don't drink and carry a gun. A drink is not worth having your permit revoked.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Well, I'd like to be able to legally carry into restaurants that serve alcohol. It's a personal responsibility thing, and I don't drink. I'd like to be able to legally carry everywhere.
    I'm with you, Betty. It seems like every restaurant we go to serves alcohol so I have to remove my gun and leave it in the car, which I really hate to do. If I am not drinking, it should make no difference that they serve....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I'm with you, Betty. It seems like every restaurant we go to serves alcohol so I have to remove my gun and leave it in the car, which I really hate to do. If I am not drinking, it should make no difference that they serve....

Exactly my view on it. I rarely drink anything stronger than iced tea at dinner so why should it matter if the restaurant serves alcohol? Besides, my gun's far less likely to be stolen when it's on my belt than it is out in my car where I can't keep an eye on it.

For the life of me I don't get the reasoning behind restricted carry in State Parks. Heck, we've got everything from bobcats to black bears in our State Parks - not to mention two legged vermin. Seems that's where we'd be MOST likely to need our weapons!
    Jack

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The big issue I have in VA is I cannot CCW in a place that serves alcohol for sonsumtion. (That is just about every restaraunt) But I can OPEN carry. If you're letting me carry a gun what do you care how I do it?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874
    The big issue I have in VA is I cannot CCW in a place that serves alcohol for sonsumtion. (That is just about every restaraunt) But I can OPEN carry. If you're letting me carry a gun what do you care how I do it?
    In Florida, we CAN carry into a restaraunt that serves alcohol, as long as we're not sitting at the bar.

IOW, I can walk into my local Outback with my trusty P-32 in my pocket, sit in a booth, eat dinner and enjoy a beer with my meal. But God forbid I get up and go sit at the bar! I guess there's some sort of "transformation" that will take place and turn me into a crazed killer if I plant my butt on a bar stool instead of a booth?

VIP Member
    For the life of me I don't get the reasoning behind restricted carry in State Parks. Heck, we've got everything from bobcats to black bears in our State Parks - not to mention two legged vermin. Seems that's where we'd be MOST likely to need our weapons!
    That's another one. A couple years ago there were news reports about assaults & rapes in one of the parks here in Nashville. A man would wait in the trees or come across lone female joggers. No-so-funny thing - the news didn't specify which park, but the reporter was standing next to a natural landmark that I immediately recognized was at Radnor Lake... a park I like going to.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Ya know, that's one I hadn't thought of. I don't go to the state parks, only because we have so much public land and National forest where I am, so it's easy to avoid and still have fun.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Here in Texas, it's legal to carry in a restaurant as long as you don't drink (alcohol) and the restaurant doesn't receive more than 50% of it's income from alcohol which are bars mainly. Many will disagree, but I think it's a good idea about taking no guns into a place where people mainly go to drink.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Lead Moderator
    National park diallowing carry is a crock. All the desolate ,remote land in National Parks , few LEO's and lack of people and cell phone coverage makes me stay out of em in general.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links