Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line.

This is a discussion on Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very good & highly qualified comments in this thread. I have also seen a slow "infusion" of more serious type crime creep into my area. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line.

Administrator
    Very good & highly qualified comments in this thread.
    I have also seen a slow "infusion" of more serious type crime creep into my area.
    It's mostly all young teen & young adult drug related & theft also related to $$$ needed to get high. And domestic violence also probably related to increased drug use.
    Things happen very slow here as we have no bars or beer or liquor sales permitted here. The kids will find their dope anyplace though no matter how "safe" an area is.

2. Remove Ads

All the people that are persecuting me say I'm paranoid.
    The Marshmallowist

Even paraniod people can be robbed or have enemies.

VIP Member
    Sometimes I think we do not help our own image when we proudly wave the banner of paranoia.....although I IS ONE TOO.
    Non-Combat shooters and regular civilians simply do not understand the concept of Condition Yellow or refuse to accept life as a dangerous enterprise. Some learn the hard way and some just refuse to learn and choose to pass blame on government, guns, etc. instead of pointing the finger at themselves for not taking the necessary precautions. They do not want their lifestyles affected by any change and it is easier for their mindset to scoff and say "You are just being paranoid" than accept facts and change accordingly.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Gotta be quick on this one as I should be leaving for work about now. LOL!

Here goes.

Some might consider me a "survivalist" because I keep plenty of canned food on hand, have a generator, water filtration system and keep 30+ gallons of drinkable water on hand at all times. I have two rifles, two handguns, and a shotty. I also have an alternate method of heating the house if we lose power for an extended period of time (weeks) and am working on getting a wood stove for longer use. (not to mention I like a good wood fire now and then) I will soon have a fuel storage tank I can keep 250-500 gallons of fuel and another one that I could take down to the river and fill with water for the house (toilets, showers etc) I also have a well stocked first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher on hand to.

I don't consider any of this paranoid, just well prepared. We had an ice storm around here a couple of years ago that left a lot of people without power for 2 weeks or more. Fortunately we were not in that group, but it got me to thinking about what would have happened if we had been. I put it on the back burner and eventually forgot about it until Katrina hit N.O. This time I decided to set up our home so we could run for a month with no utilities, or groceries etc.

To some that may be paranoid, and maybe it is, but I doubt they will be complaining if the poop ever does hit the fan and I keep them from starving/dehydrating/freezing to death.

I would suggest that the line between paranoiad and prepared has a lot to do with what you think it is/is not possible you might face at some point in the future.
    Am I slightly paranoid, maybe so, but is that any worse than being oblivious? I would say no. At worst, I will end up donating a bunch of food to the salvation army, and wasting some time and money, no harm done. Infact I probably spend more on home insurance. LOL!

New Member Array rookieshooter43's Avatar
    The people that aren't "paranoid" will come running to the ones that are if (God forbid) something bad were to ever happen.

It's too broad a statement to cover everyone that carries a weapon. Are some people who carry paranoid, definitely! Is everyone who doesn't agree with carrying a weapon at all times (or even occasionally) a liberal Brady Bill supporter, no they aren't. Tens of millions of Americans own guns but don't believe everyone walking the streets should carry one in their coat pocket. On the other hand, there are the Burt Gummers out there who keep a loaded gun in every room of their house, in their car, carry every waking hour (even keep a loaded gun while they take a shower) and would never think of opening their front door without a gun already in hand. Ask anyone in either group if they are paranoid and they'd almost certainly say no. Ask anyone from the opposite group if they think the other guys are paranoid and they will almost certainly say yes. It's all a matter of perception! The great thing about America is that like the hamburgers at Burger King, we can each have it our own way.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

WOW what a question...i like it.

perception is it, but for the sheeple argument...

am i paranoid if i have a cell phone, flashlight, and a gun on me most of the time?
    well, in a "situation" in the dark i can call for help, light you up, and shoot you if it is deemed appropriate.
    sheeple will hide in/next to/under there bed, hope the phone system werks, and wait for help. and hope the BG doesn't get to them before the cops.

the power goes out once a year. is having a working flashlight paranoid? i think not.
    is having a cell phone (most prevalent item in the US carried by most people) paranoid? ya think you have to be in touch at ALL times? i think its arrogant thinking that you are SO important that you hafta be reached RIGHT NOW. but thats there perogative and i won't say anything bad about them for it.
    for me its simply a level of preparedness.
    my wife does not understand why i carry so often but my having a weapon does not effect her. she's not the one carrying a "heavy" gun and i keep it covered for her "minds sake" when i'm around the house. politeness i guess. keeps the peace.

just my cents worth.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Paranoia?

From Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary-Tenth Edition:

paranoia

1: a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations
    2. a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational susspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

With what gets reported in the media these days, what you see happening that doesn't get reported, and knowing that if trouble strikes most people won't involve themselves to help you, I don't see carrying a gun as paranoid behavior. Somebody's signature says it all:

If you want peace, prepare for war. A sheeple is not what I care to be...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

VIP Member
    At work this morning, while I was opening a box:
    Co-worker 1: "Need to borrow a knife?"
    Co-worker 2: "She has one, but hers is bigger."

Co-worker 3: "I need a screwdriver."
    Co-worker 4: "I'm sure Betty has one."
    Me: *pulls out Leatherman tool from purse*

And there's been other times. I don't expect everybody to be prepared for everything, but I don't appreciate being called paranoid when I'm prepared for things they're not.

I also don't like able-bodied adults who show complete unwillingness to help themselves and insist that everyone around them babysit.

Let's say there's a small group of able-bodied adults stranded together in a total SHTF scenario. Maybe several don't know how to use a firearm and cannot contribute to the defense of the group, and maybe they don't have to because the others in the group can, but everyone can do something to contribute to the group survival, like medical aid, food and water gathering, etc. The group can still be effective with solid teamwork and utilizing the skills that they have and can learn.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    Sometimes I think we do not help our own image when we proudly wave the banner of paranoia.....although I IS ONE TOO.
    Non-Combat shooters and regular civilians simply do not understand the concept of Condition Yellow or refuse to accept life as a dangerous enterprise. Some learn the hard way and some just refuse to learn and choose to pass blame on government, guns, etc. instead of pointing the finger at themselves for not taking the necessary precautions. They do not want their lifestyles affected by any change and it is easier for their mindset to scoff and say "You are just being paranoid" than accept facts and change accordingly.
    Well said and to which I add a resounding: AMEN!

You going to the TSSA Trail Glades IDPA match tomorrow? Hope to see you there.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Keeney
    Folks

I used to be a newspaper crime reporter. Let me assure you, even in a small county like mine, you aren't paranoid enough.

I recommend that anyone who wants to be oblivious should never attend court on the first day of grand jury. Seeing all the various serious scumbags they lead in to court in handcuffs on various very serious charges, who are then let out on bail, would make any sensible man go right from court to the gun store and buy a case of shotgun shells, ten boxes of 45 acp ammo and a baseball bat.

Oh folks, don't buy a police scanner either, if you don't want to know about all the goblins out there ready to beat you in the head for the money to buy a crack rock or a single oxycontin pill.

Even in the small town I worked LE, lots more happening than the papers or citizen know. Way I figure it, sonner or later everyone will be in some kind of altercation in hteir life. May not be a gun fight but, more of assault, burglary ect.

Assistant Administrator
    Betty - well said from me too. 100% spot on.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree with ROCKY totally. Paranoid ? Yep. I used not to be, but things have changed dramatically in recent years. The average person has very little idea of what really is happening on a daily basis out there, and the liberal press is not inclined to report it unless it involves someone protecting themselves. Several years ago I started listening to a police scanner, and it can really scare you to death. We have one on 24-7 and I also have a mobile in my truck. If something is happening, I feel better prepared if the action moves my way. In a large metro area like DFW, condition yellow is the minimum condition.

VIP Member
    I recommend that anyone who wants to be oblivious should never attend court on the first day of grand jury. Seeing all the various serious scumbags they lead in to court in handcuffs on various very serious charges, who are then let out on bail, would make any sensible man go right from court to the gun store and buy a case of shotgun shells, ten boxes of 45 acp ammo and a baseball bat.
    I went to Night Court once, when a police officer brought me there to start my Order of Protection paperwork against a psycho ex.

Scary stuff. There were a lot of victims there at that late hour of night. One lady had been beaten black and blue by a boyfriend. Another was fresh out of the hospital after being stabbed. He was bandaged up and had crutches. The BGs were handcuffed and in a side room that I could see in through glass. I didn't even want to sit down on the bench; I was afraid I'd pick up weirdo nits.

I'm glad I'm armed and alert.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links