Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line.

This is a discussion on Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jarhead79 I think this guy had at least 20 guns loaded in his house. If any of you exhibit this type of ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    I think this guy had at least 20 guns loaded in his house.

If any of you exhibit this type of behavior, I apologize, but to me, this guy is VERY paranoid.
    Damn, in my office here I have two Uzis, a Luger, a couple SAAs, a RRA AR-15 with a night vision scope, three FALs (L1A1 x2 and a STG-58) and a pair of Sig 226s. Right now.

I like them there. They're decorative and functional and remind me of why I work the overtime I do and have a second job to boot: to be able to afford the things I do and have occasional time off to enjoy using them with the old lady and trusted friends.

The rule of our household is that all pistols are loaded. If all guns are to be considered loaded at all times, why not?

Rifles have loaded mag but no loaded chamber.

But the extent this guy went to was even hard to believe.
    His life isn't yours. Perhaps he's at higher risk or has more difficulties thrown at him over the course of his life and is proactive in keeping them from happening again.

The line of reasoning you're using unfortunately is the same as the anti-gunners - "Why does anyone *need* all that stuff?"

The answer, of course, is because their needs are different than yours - and nothing wrong with that.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    I never could figure out what *need* had to do with anything anyway.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfurtkamp
    The line of reasoning you're using unfortunately is the same as the anti-gunners - "Why does anyone *need* all that stuff?"
    I am gonna parraphrase from John Ross's Unintended Consequences.
    "There is a lot of people who operate on envy."

And I think that would be another ingredient on why we are defined and looked down as paranoid. People see us as prepared for major contingencies and laugh. Then something happens and they are depending on somebody else's help while we are fending on our own and that has to rub them the wrong way. To coin a phrase: "Misery loves company" and by golly, we should be suffering like them! Because we prepared, we are suddenly without heart, cold blooded because they think that, with our preparedness, we are telling them "I told you so" instead of helping them survive the situation they put themselves into.

And I guess, in a way, we are telling them "I told you so." But then again, they had the same warnings we did and the same opportunities to be ready and they chose not to. Some will be smart, learn from the experience and ask for information in order to avoid the same problems next time. Most won't. That is the sad part.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

OD*
    Aesop's The Ant and the Grasshopper

We're the ants.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    All I can say is WOW!!! I thought I'd get a few responses, but not 5 pages worth. I know that most of us aren't crazy, frightened people that fit into the paranoid category. I brought up this topic after reading what one person wrote on a different forum.

I don't remember exactly, but this guy mentioned something like surveillance cameras, at least two guns on person, shotgun behind door, gun on every nightstand, on every table, in every room, and the list went on and on. I think this guy had at least 20 guns loaded in his house.

If any of you exhibit this type of behavior, I apologize, but to me, this guy is VERY paranoid.

Without mykids, I'd surely have a loaded revolver in the nightstand. I always keep a gun on my side. But the extent this guy went to was even hard to believe.
    Call me a crazy left wing liberal and pro gun control, but yes, I think he's gone a bit (probably a lot) overboard. It sounds like a man hunting a mouse with an elephant gun! At what point do you reach overkill?

Actually, I own close to 60 guns myself, belong to the NRA, the local gun club and have a CC permit. I have double plate glass storm windows in every winow of every room, an alarm (with battery backup) and security lights around the yard. There's a gun in every vehicle at all times as well as my (and my wifes) carry weapon and we keep a loaded gun in our bedroom. BTW, I have 6-year-old triple boys, so I know the problems of keeping the kids safe with guns in the house.

I'll bet that aside from the people in this group, most people would think I'm paranoid, so if I think someone has taken things too far... well, use your own judgement.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Lead Moderator
    Some would consider me paranoid too. I plan in case I need to bug out, or survive on my own for and extended period. It may never happen, but being prepared eases my mind.

The Boy Scouts have the best Motto, "Be Prepared"

Quote Originally Posted by jeephipwr
    The Boy Scouts have the best Motto, "Be Prepared"
    Yes, Sir! That's exactly where I learned it!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Rare thing - I am all but lost for words! But that sure as heck tells us something - indeed it does.
    When that old boy admitted shooting the guy on tv, he probably did so because he WANTED to go back to the slammer.

It reminds me of the time back when I was in the news business. I was at the courthouse with most of the TV news nearby to cover the arrest of a big drunk dude who beat up his wife, and while getting away, dragged a deputy sheriff down the road for a half mile before a trooper managed to stop him.

The largest trooper in the detachment was leading this big idiot from the magistrates office to jail when I, and a TV reporter saw him. We jumped up and ran down the hall, and caught him at the elevator.

I asked him outloud, "Billy, why did you drag the deputy down the road?" Now, I didn't expect him to answer, but I just thought I'd take a shot.

While on camera with two newsmen there, the guy answered, "I'm sorry, but he was keeping me from getting away."

I put the quote in the paper, and the interview was on the nightly news report.

Prosecutors used our police statements, and the film report to get a conviction, and sent the old boy to the WV State Penitentiary at Mount Olive for a ten year vacation.

Somes, as a news man, you get lucky with off the cuff statements like that, and it usually comes at the expensive of some idiot criminal.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links