Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line.

This is a discussion on Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think this will strike some interesting opinions, and hopefully not start any fights. I read on a forum that someone referred to CCW holders ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar

Post Prepared........Paranoid, Don't cross the line.

I think this will strike some interesting opinions, and hopefully not start any fights.

I read on a forum that someone referred to CCW holders as paranoid. The person to whom the reference was made did seem overly paranoid. Kinda crazy even. I don't stock lots of guns in my house, or keep loaded guns stashed all over my house. I have small kids, and that'd be kinda stupid. Most of the time, I do have a handgun on me, even at home.

Well, what do you think? Are we paranoid, or are we just prepared. And where is the line between the two?

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    I'm prepared but acknowledge the fact that there are a small percentage of people out there that are paranoid and also have CCW permits. I expect that it is this very small percentage that invariably show up in the CCW statistics getting ther permit revoked....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    jar - IMO the line between the two is down to perception. Our perception usually would be that we are not paranoid. To the rank outsider, non gunny and non CCW I expect often we do seem paranoid!!

There is tho IMO even in our ranks a middle ground - whereby the majority of us are level headed, prepared folks - who practice and train, within reason. At an extreme end tho may be survivalists who have a small army on hand - and certainly might be seen by us even as decidedly paranoid

Other end of our scale - folks who are so casual about carry that they may as well not bother - thinking as they do that they can somehow predict when or when not to expect trouble.

So let us say - ''paranoia is in the eye of the beholder''. It is very relative.

I have mentioned this before - an old buddy back in UK tells me that because I carry - ''You are asking for trouble''! He also thinks I am paranoid as the odds of attack are small. Well that is true but I excercize my option to still remain prepared, against even that low chance prospect. So I do not feel paranoid
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'm paranoid. I'll even admit it, because being paranoid is good no matter what liberal politicos tell us.

But some people are more paranoid than I am, and others are less.

It should be everyone's right to decide how paranoid they want to be.

Lead Moderator
    I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?

Assistant Administrator
    What is that saying? ''I am only paranoid because I know they are out to get me''?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Anything can be carried too far and being overly excessive is not good.
    I am watchful, careful, aware, & usually always adequately prepared for the majority of possible eventualities.
    I honestly don't think the "Boogie~Man" is out to get me though.

I am sure the evil bad guy is out to get somebody (but not specifically me personally, I'm not important enough to have an assassin after me). I just want to be sure that I am not a victim. So, I try to be prepared.
    May be that I am paranoid - I don't think overly so.
    Personally, my biggest fear isn't of some imagined evil monster -- my biggest fear is that I'll wake up one morning and will have turned into a sheep. I do not want to be a sheep. But, the sheep think I am paranoid because I'm not like them. I carry guns and have big dogs and do not like people close to me that I don't know. My wife and I try to be alert and aware. Works for us.

Very basic definition

Paranoid: people with guns and no marksmanship/tactical training
    Prepared: those with both

I am paranoid eough to be prepared!

OD*
    the line between the two is down to perception
    Well said Chris.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I'm not paranoid or afraid (those being the two most common misconceptions of CCW holders by those who just don't get it); I'm aware. I'm aware that I am not invincible and that bad things can happen to good people at any time and in any place. Due to this awareness I choose to be armed as often as possible so as to give myself a fighting chance. Personally I prefer to be aware and considered paranoid by some than to be oblivious and considered easy meat by criminals.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Lead Moderator
    I don't think it's paranoid to want the ability to fight back if required, and win.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

After working law enforcement in a big city department, then moving to several smaller departments, I have seen the crime typical of large inner city environments spreading to all types of communities.

Am I paranoid ?

I don't think so.

Am I prepared ?

I like to think so.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
    Folks

I used to be a newspaper crime reporter. Let me assure you, even in a small county like mine, you aren't paranoid enough.

I recommend that anyone who wants to be oblivious should never attend court on the first day of grand jury. Seeing all the various serious scumbags they lead in to court in handcuffs on various very serious charges, who are then let out on bail, would make any sensible man go right from court to the gun store and buy a case of shotgun shells, ten boxes of 45 acp ammo and a baseball bat.

Oh folks, don't buy a police scanner either, if you don't want to know about all the goblins out there ready to beat you in the head for the money to buy a crack rock or a single oxycontin pill.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links