Should I carry a mini-cannon? - Page 2

Should I carry a mini-cannon?

This is a discussion on Should I carry a mini-cannon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My reason for starting this discussion was the advice I have been reading for new shooters, seems an apparent disconnect between what is really needed ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I carry a mini-cannon?

My reason for starting this discussion was the advice I have been reading for new shooters, seems an apparent disconnect between what is really needed for the civilian self-defense weapon and what is required for military or law enforcement.

Sure a larger caliber, longer range weapon is needed in certain situations. (Why not carry a Mosin-Nagant 7.62x54 sniper rifle?)

I can guarantee that a drugged, deranged or determined attacker can "shake off" ANY handgun caliber hole in him short of "turning off the electrical switch".

Personally, I am more likely to carry my 20 oz. snub-nose all the time versus lugging a 3 pound 1911 until I get home or to my office and tossing it into a drawer.

My vote goes to carrying the biggest, most powerful weapon you are competent with that your situation allows.

It is all about energy transfer. If you can't hit the target, you aren't delivering energy. If you are only putting fifty ft/lbs on target it is better than nothing, but not as good as three hundred and fifty.

As far as distance goes...... I am a big advocate of shooting pistols at longer ranges. Find out what is your maximum effective range. Work on the close up stuff a lot, but also work on your distance shooting. If you know you can not hit a man sized target beyond fifty feet, you need to adjust your tactics accordingly. If you attempt to engage a target that is beyond your abilities you are not only taking on the extra liability for those extra rounds down range, but you might be wishing you had those rounds later in the conflict. I have never heard of anyone complaining they had too much ammo after a fire fight.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    As far as distance goes...... I am a big advocate of shooting pistols at longer ranges. Find out what is your maximum effective range. Work on the close up stuff a lot, but also work on your distance shooting. If you know you can not hit a man sized target beyond fifty feet, you need to adjust your tactics accordingly. If you attempt to engage a target that is beyond your abilities you are not only taking on the extra liability for those extra rounds down range, but you might be wishing you had those rounds later in the conflict. I have never heard of anyone complaining they had too much ammo after a fire fight.
    I can't add anymore the above posts haven't already touched base on when it comes to what firearm to carry, only you can decide that.
    Just ALWAYS CARRY!
    Alot of posts have touched on distance, and after reading the quote above I remember 20/30 years ago gun tests & articles always had 25 yard + specs on handguns and now you hardly ever see anyone test or write about shooting past 50 ft. at the most. When I was young we did alot of training and shooting 25 yards and out. It helped us learn our weapons and when we did move in closer most if not all of our shooting tore those target centers up. Don't feel that longer range training isn't needed, it will only help when your under stress and needing to place your shots and you'll probably also find that small handgun that fits in your pocket so easily will really humble you also!

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I knew a guy, a BIG guy, nicknamed T-bone, who was working at the airport. One evening, in the bar he goes to, he got into a argument; the other guy pulls a .25 and puts 3 rounds in T-bone's belly; that just got him furious; when the cops and paramedics arrived, the .25 shooter was unconscious on the floor and T-bone was having another drink; he was taken to the hospital, treated, and released a few hours later. The .25 guy stayed at the hospital for a week.
    My $.02.
    I ahd a friend that we called Big Mac. One neight a fight borke out in a pool room and one fellow took two pool cues and hit Big Mac in the top of the head with the large end of the cues. Blood flew everywhere and Big Mc took off after the guy. We finally got him stopped and carried him to the ER. The put a few stitches in his head but other than a headache he was fine. I don't suggest anyone try this on their friends heads to see if it works for them.

I know another case where a friend was shot with a .32 revolver in the teeth. He spit out the bullet and two teeth, then took off after the shooter but was unable to catch him.

Moving up carry piece.

I've only been doing this for awhile. Started with a .380 and my EDC is now an M&P 9c. With everyone talking about carrying .45s without much problem, I'm thinking about getting a M&P 45 and using that for daily carry. I hope it works.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    No....you don't need a mini cannon....I carry a 9mm Glock or a .38 snubbie most of the time...if I can hit COM at up to 10 yards consistently with either.....Im ok with that.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

I appreciate hotguns response as it kind of echos my own thoughts, which in most cases I tend to feel alone on around here. Frankly, if I could figure out a way to make an Elephant gun into a pistol and manage to keep it on target for more than one shot(without seeing circling tweety birds after each shot) and while on the move...it WOULD be my daily carry gun.

I don't want to have to depend on the "perfect" com shot or spinal shot or whatever. If my life is on the line, I want whatever I'm using to do as much damage as possible and/or knock them on their hindquarters no matter what part of the torso it hits 'em. If it hits an appendage...I hope it takes it clean off!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyboyLDB View Post
    Yep, I agree most will occur in the 10' or less range. Any greater distance one might be able to avoid the confrontation - i.e., get away. This shorter distance is what concerns me with the larger calibers and hot loads - over penetration. It really does happen more than one thinks. Do some research - mainly happens to LEOs because they are working in close proximity to each other. With the anticipated fight occurring at less than 10' is why I feel a 9mm or .380 is more than enough. If you use +P ammo, you could risk over penetration too. I think we are bordering on starting another caliber war.

I asked my buddy's dad about this as i was deciding on my EDC (he is a medic) he has yet to see a SD situation result in a through and through. If you are that worried about it get hollow points not FMJ

Big as you can handle accurately is fine, but you still have to carry it to the gunfight.

When I can, I'll be carrying my new CZ75B (replacing my Security-Six--rental guns showed me I can shoot MUCH better with the CZ 9mm than snubbie Ruger .357) with +P on my waist plus my new 642 (again I shot the rental better than the Ruger, even just using .38 spec. in the Ruger) with +P in my pocket, but sometimes only the 642 can come along.

So I'll practice, practice, practice because, as my old Latin professor used to say "Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit."
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

I persomally prefer to carry to much gun then not enough/ If it was convenient to carry a 30-30 carbine that is what I would carry.
    Reality is that I feel comfortable carrying a 5 inch 1911 in 45acp so that is waht I carry.
    When I was in highschool while at home I carried a 30-30 everywhere I went and it was somewhat inconvenient, but that is what I had so that is what I carried. In case you are wondering we lived in the mountains and it was carried more for wild animals then anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    A .25, .32 or .380 caliber fired at point blank range into someone's gut or under their chin, should to be plenty of deterrent for the 90% +/- odds of how your gunfight may occur.
    You should carry whatever makes you happy. However a few thoughts ---- most of us carry because we might need our weapon although I am sure the odds are 90% + that we will never need our weapon.

I am also sure that if only 90% of airliners safely made it to their destination we would travel by other means. What you are saying is that in 10% of the cases your ".25, .32 or .380 caliber" is inadequate.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Lots of bullets means lots of chances to make use of expert marksmanship skills" --- Gecko45

"Some people ask: shoot to maim, or shoot to kill? I say, empty the chamber and let the good Lord decide." - Deputy Garcia (Reno 911)

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The M-29 is a bit much for me to EDC, so I suppose I'll just have to stick with my underpowered .45acp.

Quote Originally Posted by rkhal View Post
    You should carry whatever makes you happy. However a few thoughts ---- most of us carry because we might need our weapon although I am sure the odds are 90% + that we will never need our weapon.

I am also sure that if only 90% of airliners safely made it to their destination we would travel by other means. What you are saying is that in 10% of the cases your ".25, .32 or .380 caliber" is inadequate.

The 90% was referring back to the statistics I quoted/misquoted earlier. The remaining 10% may require you carry a 40mm gattling gun. I am certain that there are scenarios that the blessed .45 caliber with 45 rounds is inadequate.

Everyone wants to convince someone they have the "best" manufacturer, model, caliber gun because that's what they have, and if it's not the best, then they must admit they made a mistake.

Is a .25 caliber handgun capable of killing a 300 pound attacker? Can someone survive having fifteen .45 rounds shot at them? Will you always carry with you a 3 pound double stack 5" 1911 or will the 20 ounce .380 be in your pocket from morning to night?

P.S. I had a 152mm rifled gun with me 24/7 for 9 months. It didn't conceal well either.

Carry the biggest pistol that you can conceal and shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post
    Carry the biggest pistol that you can conceal and shoot well.
    THAT is the smart solution to the question.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links