Should I carry a mini-cannon? - Page 4

Should I carry a mini-cannon?

This is a discussion on Should I carry a mini-cannon? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This should not even be a debate, carry what you want. As for me all things being equal .45 is the only way to go! ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Should I carry a mini-cannon?

This should not even be a debate, carry what you want. As for me all things being equal .45 is the only way to go! I can make the 50yd shot if I have to as well as the up close and personal! If you want to carry a derringer just know you have taken yourself out of the game at over 3yds! But that is your choice just not mine!
    I carry a gun because cops are too heavy!
    Take my advice, Don't take my advice!

SDM
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpoet451 View Post
    The coroner's inquest found it justifiable homicide, but #1's family tried to sue for wrongful death anyway. During the preliminary phase (after 5 months and $12,000 to my hunting buddy the lawyer) the judge dismissed the case, with prejudice, based on the “facts in evidence”. #1, they fired the first shot (the evidence on the 911 taped established that fact forensically); and #2, Arkansas’s “castle doctrine” does NOT require you to retreat when you are in your own home, but instead, allows, if the person was not the original aggressor, for the use of deadly force.
    Great news oldpoet. I just had a rookie-type question. In a civil case, if you (the defendant) win the argument, shouldn't the other party pay your legal fees? I attempted (quite weakly) to look on wiki and didn't find an answer. I just hope there was some recourse for you on that $12K. Makes my blood boil that courts allow those types of lawsuits to happen.

Sorry for getting off task.

Regarding caliber and carry.

I think there's lots of great advice in this thread so I won't add anymore, just highlight what "I" think are key:

1. Carry the caliber that YOU find most comfortable. Not all guns shoot alike, I went through 4 brands before landing on the XD's. I didn't like the way some guns slipped in my hands after shooting for more than 30 minutes. Always had to readjust my grip. Didn't want that to happen out in the field. Also, some guns handle the same caliber differently. My old Taurus 9mm had a decent kick, but my XD9sc feels, IMO, more manageable. Just something to think about.
    2. Training/education is a huge part of the equation. Anyone who has played Halo or any 1st person shooter will tell you...stand still, you're going down*. A friend and I are in the process of designing some metal targets so we can practice speed drills as well as shooting on the go. Granted, we'll be using .22's, but it's training nonetheless. Plus his neighbors don't like it when we shoot the 45's. ;)
    3. Something is better than nothing. Watch any of the reality-based cop shows (Cops, The First 48, Forensics Files) and you will see that most of the deaths on those shows involve .22 or .25 caliber handguns. If you are only able to shoot competently with a .22, then so be it. You have to start somewhere. I found my XD45c to be quite a handful when shooting one-handed, but I go to the range every chance I can get to practice.

If you value above statements as worthy of 2 cents, then so be it. :)

* I, in no way, condone the use of video games for real life simulations. Unless you're heading into a Covenant stronghold armed only with a Magnum and Needler, then it just doesn't make sense.** But if you try Halo 3 on Legendary setting, it WILL give you a better concept of the notion MOVE MOVE MOVE SHOOT MOVE MOVE MOVE MOVE DUCK SHOOT MOVE MOVE MOVE GRENADE MOVE MOVE MELEE! :)

** Sense? Try finding hidden skulls throughout the game which turn on or off certain features. 2 of which I JUST found out yesterday. The Grunt Birthday skull enables it so when a Grunt gets beaned with a headshot, confetti bursts from his head and kids in the background all yell YAAAAAAYYYYY! And the More Cowbell skull makes the explosions (grenades, rockets, etc) much more violent.***

*** Sorry. :( Got off task again.

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    Great news oldpoet. I just had a rookie-type question. In a civil case, if you (the defendant) win the argument, shouldn't the other party pay your legal fees? I attempted (quite weakly) to look on wiki and didn't find an answer. I just hope there was some recourse for you on that $12K. Makes my blood boil that courts allow those types of lawsuits to happen.
    IF you win a civil case, you are allowed to request legal fees as part of the judgment. What you get will be up to judge and/or jury. I didn't WIN a case; my lawyer pal gained a dismissal. Because of that, to recoup I would have had to counter-sue. I didn't, because a) I would have had to spend MORE money in the attempt, b) it wouldn't have been a slam dunk--you never know what will happen in our lovely legal system and c) I just wanted to move on.

As for your blood boiling, please don't forget that the constitution not only defends everyone's right to keep and bear arms, it also defends everyone's right to their day in court, which includes the relatives of BGs.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

I love these big bullet threads, lol. OK, next time you go to the range to shoot those fast moving paper targets that shoot imaginary bullets back, observe! Look at the targets, distance, hits and where and most important watch the aiming process. Most will be 21' or less, not drawn from holster, 3 seconds or more to trigger break and single shots! Now observe calibers, you will again see most mini cannons all over the place, most not even in kill zone. Sure there are some that can put them in a pie plate at 21' from a concealed draw. I can triple tap a 1911 in 45 ACP from under shirt, tails untucked on a NRA #2 center rectangle in under 2 seconds (1.84 is my best). I practice with and carry a Sig 239 SAS in 9mm because it is more concealable and comfortable, ammo is cheaper, hence more practice (100-200 weekly). My 124 Golden Sabers will make the BG's realise the made a mistake just as quick as anybodies 230ACP's. Practise, training and mental attitude not caliber are key! Too many people buy big calibers because of threads like this, even though they can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. My wife used to manage a Gun Store and taught, the saddest thing was how many husbands/boyfriends started the little lady out with a 44 or 45 or even a 38/357 snubby. They had such a fear of recoil it took hours the correct, then she would work them up in caliber and find the right fit, model and caliber. Some would wind up with a 45, she carries the Springfield compact 45 and most shooters in Tucson know her and would not challenge her except for fun.

SDM
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpoet451 View Post
    IF you win a civil case, you are allowed to request legal fees as part of the judgment. What you get will be up to judge and/or jury. I didn't WIN a case; my lawyer pal gained a dismissal. Because of that, to recoup I would have had to counter-sue. I didn't, because a) I would have had to spend MORE money in the attempt, b) it wouldn't have been a slam dunk--you never know what will happen in our lovely legal system and c) I just wanted to move on.

As for your blood boiling, please don't forget that the constitution not only defends everyone's right to keep and bear arms, it also defends everyone's right to their day in court, which includes the relatives of BGs.
    Makes sense to me. I agree, I would have wanted to move on as well.

And make no mistake, I'm aware of the BG's kith/kin having a constitutional right to sue. I don't want to remove that right. I'm looking at it from the ethical "WAT?" standpoint. Take Mr. Horn's victim's K/K for example. The breadwinner of the family was killed. But the bread he "won" was obtained illegally. So the K/K sued for a large sum of money. I'm sure there were other reasons; loss of a loved one, death of a father/husband, etc. Now, I'm sure Mrs. Victim knew about her hubby's illegal activities. Crime is a dangerous business, so I'm SURE she (as well as he) had to know the risks.

If you're one of those Ice Truckers and your truck plummets through the ice, does your wife sue the trucking company? Sue the ice? Sue Peterbilt?

When a police officer is killed in the line of duty, does HIS family sue the suspect? Sue the suspect's family? I'm pretty certain the last sound bite I heard from such a family was "he was doing his job, he was doing what he loved." I may be wrong, if so, please correct me.

I understand they have a right to sue, but that doesn't make it right, IMO. (no offense to yourself, just me projecting more hot air into the cyber cosmos.)

Remember always: No matter what gun you use,NEVER and I do mean NEVER discuss caliber-ammo or anything for that matter until you have a lawyer who is familiar with SD law.

Bosco

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    I understand they have a right to sue, but that doesn't make it right, IMO. (no offense to yourself, just me projecting more hot air into the cyber cosmos.)
    No offense taken.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    ...A .25, .32 or .380 caliber fired at point blank range into someone's gut or under their chin, should to be plenty of deterrent...38 caliber will do the trick.
    You left out .22. I assume because the dependability of the rim fire that would be at issue.

I think you make great points. One of the reasons I went with a .38 +P over a .357 S&W J-frame. Out of that short of a barrel, and considering most SD situations, the .38 is the right gun for the job.

I would never go less than .38 revolver or 9mm semi-auto. You get a lot more punch IMO then the other calibers you listed (for weapons about that same to CC).

I know (of) 2 people (non-LE) who have used (well more accurately shot) a firearm in SD.

One situation required several rounds as there were 2 BG. The closest BG was grappled with as his unarmed BG buddy was shot. BG with a gun lost control of firearm during struggle and laid prone as LE arrived.

Not sure I would have had the speed, doubt the strength, and certainly lack the training.

My point, .38 + P is all I'll need, as I doubt something with more rounds and power will make much difference in the vast majority (if not all) of SD situations I will be in and could survive out side my home. Now as far as in the home, I think more firepower is warranted (shotgun, standard size semi-auto, extra mags, etc).

If you're one of those Ice Truckers and your truck plummets through the ice, does your wife sue the trucking company? Sue the ice? Sue Peterbilt?
    I am sure that there are some that will and no shortage of John Edwards type lawyers ready to take the case. I was in a traffic accident several years back and three days later I received letters from at least 5 different law firms wanting to take my case.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Remember always: No matter what gun you use,NEVER and I do mean NEVER discuss caliber-ammo or anything for that matter until you have a lawyer who is familiar with SD law.

Bosco
    Good point. Try to remain calm. Politely given them your weapon when they ask and politely tell them you wish to consult with an attorney before giving any statements. In my case the LEOs were very nice, allowed me the time to compose myself and get my lawyer without hassling me. This is not, unfortunately, always the case. Really depends on the jurisdiction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links