Temperment

Temperment

This is a discussion on Temperment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I guess I,m not the only one that has a wife that has a temper but I,ve been married for 30 years to this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temperment

Temperment

OK, I guess I,m not the only one that has a wife that has a temper but I,ve been married for 30 years to this woman and I don,t think she should get a carry permit. She is not really pushing this too much and I am glad. What do you think?

Who decided YOU should carry a gun?
    I believe the 2A most refer to applies to both you AND her.

OMO

My wife and I have been married...37 years, tomorrow...and she certainly is different from me. She is not real good with or dependent upon certain 'tools' as I am, but I really pushed her to get her CCW permit, then a weapon for carry, and finally to carry it. It happens in 'steps'...give her some space, but encourage it.

Stay armed...two is better than one...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The responsibility of carrying may actually make her realise how she reacts more,and teach her about deescalating conflicts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

jfl
    I strongly agree with the 2 above replies.
    Having the power to kill, when you understand the responsibility, changes your behavior dramatically.
    The second amendment protects your wife too !!!
    As a firearm instructor, it has been a concern; I only do one on one training and always wondered what I'd do if I happened to have an unstable student. It has not happened ... yet.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

My ex-gf's granddad was an avid 2A defender, but he wouldn't get a carry permit, nor would he carry because he said, " I can't control my temper enough to allow someone to spit on my face..and not do something about it".

I think thats fair enough. He has the presence of mind enough to know that it wouldn't be wise for him to carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by shingman2345 View Post
    OK, I guess I,m not the only one that has a wife that has a temper but I,ve been married for 30 years to this woman and I don,t think she should get a carry permit. She is not really pushing this too much and I am glad. What do you think?
    I have a major temper too. The issuance of my CCW permit has forced me to change how I live. I was taught that avoidance is the first option and I am channeling my energy to maintaining that philosophy. I don't take it as being passive, just smarter. With a CCW comes big responsibility. I have to say that my CCW instructor did his job.

If I can change how I think, your wife can too. You've been married for 30 years, so I will say that we're close in age. Don't sell her short. Give her a shot if she wants to do it.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

It is her right as well as yours to carry and protect herself if she so decides. Heaven help how you would feel if something should happen to her and she wasn't able to protect herself because of you discouraging her on self-protection.
    If you truely feel she has an anger problem you can't help her rechannel, get her into a professional training class (take it with her- never can learn too much!) and you will probably see a marked change in her demeaner and outlook when she comfortable with her skills and is taught the responsiblities of carrying a weapon by a professional who can read people very well and build on that.

Push her not to and she'll likely do it for spite - leave it lay. The decision is a very personal one for each individual - either way. Let her decide with absolutely no input from you. If she hasn't done anything yet, she may already realize she shouldn't, yet doesn't want to admit it.

I've watched the shooting portion of many carry classes and the skill (read lack of) possessed by most people scares the crud out of me. I knew a city marshall a while back and his attitude was if you can't keep all your shots in 1.5" at 7yds you have no business carrying a gun. Many with permits can barely keep their shots in a 12" circle at that distance during slow fire - some are even worse.

VIP Member
    Well, truth is, I'm way too confrontational and quick tempered for my own good... that is, unless I'm carrying. The weight of responsibility has a way of helping me keep my big mouth shut. Go figure.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Thumper, we're in the same boat. If I have to go somewhere unarmed I find myself fighting my old tendencies to be more aggressive, opinionated, and loud. When I'm armed it never crosses my mind to act a fool.

Honestly, if your wife wants a carry permit, it isn't your place to tell her no any more than she should be able to say you can't have a permit for one reason or another.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The problem with women is they want to carry it in their purse. Two places for a firearm: on the body or in a safe. Otherwise, statistically, bad stuff will happen.

Temperament. (correct spelling). Just FYI.

I think this essay covers your concerns. It's a great read for any gun owner:

Ethics from the Barrel of a Gun
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Well, truth is, I'm way too confrontational and quick tempered for my own good... that is, unless I'm carrying. The weight of responsibility has a way of helping me keep my big mouth shut. Go figure.
    Dittos across the board there Thumper
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats" ~ H. L. Mencken

Thankyou!

Thankyou all for your opinions very much. Lot of good thoughts on this subject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links