Question about Oregon

Question about Oregon

This is a discussion on Question about Oregon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I'm not sure if this the place to post this one...... so I will try anyway. I will be travelling in Oregon soon. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Oregon

Question Question about Oregon

Hello All,

I'm not sure if this the place to post this one...... so I will try anyway.

I will be travelling in Oregon soon. I have a CO permit as well as a UT non-resident permit. From what I can determine Oregon does not recognize either of these states.

So my question is can I keep a loaded handgun in the car.... perhaps in the glove compartment.

Thanks much for your help

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

1943 - 2009
    From the OSP web site:

Q: I am planning a vacation in Oregon and would like to find out the validity of my concealed pistol permit, as well as any regulations for carrying my pistol.
    A: Oregon does not recognize other states’ concealed weapons permit/license. Carrying a concealed weapon in Oregon is considered a Class A Misdemeanor as unlawful possession of a firearm. According to ORS 166.250 "(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260; 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:

Carries any firearm concealed upon the person
    Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

We suggest that firearm(s) be placed in a storage container in the trunk of the vehicle or a locked storage area in a motor home. If pulled over, a person needs to make sure to notify the police that a weapon is stored in a locked compartment of the vehicle.
    Oregon State Police - Identification Services Section Concealed Handgun License (CHL)

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Thanks Captain...... I appreciate your help. I had no idea Oregon was so strict......

I may have to drive some extra miles so I can avoid OR..

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I will give you the short answer...

No.

Sorry about that. It sucks for us on the reverse as well, since our anti-gun governor and AG will not seek for us to have reciprocity agreements with other states.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I will give you the short answer...

No.

Sorry about that. It sucks for us on the reverse as well, since our anti-gun governor and AG will not seek for us to have reciprocity agreements with other states.
    I'm driving Colorado to Seattle.... and the most direct route is to go thru NE Oregon... I look at the map and it will require a LOT of extra miles to bypass OR...

If I decide to drive thru OR how should I store my handguns.....? Can I simply put them in the trunk of my car.... or do they have to be "locked" in a container w/o ammo etc.

This really sucks... Sorry you gunnies have to put up this

Thanks for your help.........

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    From what I've read, local sheriff's have the right to waive the residency requirements for permits, but they seem to only offer it to people who are in adjacent states and travel regularly in OR... which stinks since I live in TX and only visit my sister in Eugene, OR a couple times a year.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by FastDraw View Post
    I'm driving Colorado to Seattle.... and the most direct route is to go thru NE Oregon... I look at the map and it will require a LOT of extra miles to bypass OR...

If I decide to drive thru OR how should I store my handguns.....? Can I simply put them in the trunk of my car.... or do they have to be "locked" in a container w/o ammo etc.

This really sucks... Sorry you gunnies have to put up this

Thanks for your help.........
    Unloaded and not readily accessable. The people's republik of Portland are the ones who may try to get really stinky if not transporting by the exact letter of the Federal transportation law. Most other areas are not too bad.

You can technically carry any loaded firearm in your vehicle as long as it is in plain sight, except the two towns that have local ordanances against displaying a loaded firearm in public. However, you are playing a dicey game of chance and if you happen to have an interaction with an LEO you will more than likely not run into one with sense of humor.

Check this site out:
    FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide
    In The Beaver State.

Their information is accurate and they are very active politically on the behalf of gun owner's rights here in Oregon.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Unloaded and not readily accessable. The people's republik of Portland are the ones who may try to get really stinky if not transporting by the exact letter of the Federal transportation law. Most other areas are not too bad.

You can technically carry any loaded firearm in your vehicle as long as it is in plain sight, except the two towns that have local ordanances against displaying a loaded firearm in public. However, you are playing a dicey game of chance and if you happen to have an interaction with an LEO you will more than likely not run into one with sense of humor.

Check this site out:
    FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide
    In The Beaver State.

Their information is accurate and they are very active politically on the behalf of gun owner's rights here in Oregon.
    Thanks again for your help. Looks like I will have to stop before entering the NE corner of your state and store the two Glocks I carry on road trips in the trunk. This will be the first time I've had to do that in several years. We travel Colorado the FL a couple times a year and my CO and non-resident UT permits make me good to go the entire trip.

Take care......

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    From what I've read, local sheriff's have the right to waive the residency requirements for permits, but they seem to only offer it to people who are in adjacent states and travel regularly in OR... which stinks since I live in TX and only visit my sister in Eugene, OR a couple times a year.
    County sheriffs in Oregon may issue OR non-resident permits to residents of contiguous states (CA, WA, ID & NV), but only if the applicant can show sufficient reason for wanting the permit.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

There is a rest area right before entering Oregon. I stop, remove ammo, lock in hard case and put ammo in different container. After I leave oregon I pull over, load gun and continue on. It is a hastle but not as much as if you get cought with it on your person. I just try and not have to stop in Oregon.

I carry a non lethal weapon when traveling just for this very reason. Then again all non lethal weapons are not legal in every state. California for example allows pepper spray, just not Kimber's Guardian Angel OC spray. We need to have a national concealed carry permit that is as good as your drivers license from state to state. The hodgepodge of local of gun laws we have to deal with are a joke and are designed to create as much confusion as possible IMHO.
    Join the NRA.

Don't take this as advise, just a coment.

When I get into Oregon, I usually stop, load up my riffles and have them ready. We travel in southeastern and central Oregon ALOT and have always had a weapon of some sort close by. I think that LEO's in these rural areas would almost be more suprised if they didn't see something!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    Don't take this as advise, just a coment.

When I get into Oregon, I usually stop, load up my riffles and have them ready. We travel in southeastern and central Oregon ALOT and have always had a weapon of some sort close by. I think that LEO's in these rural areas would almost be more suprised if they didn't see something!

Chris
    Thanks ChrisM......... Are "loaded" rifles in the car legal???...

I'm trying to calculate the miles I have to drive going thru the NE corner of Oregon...... I absolutely hate to drive anywhere I'm not carrying......

Guess I'm still surprised that Oregon is a fully committed gun state.....

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

To the best of my knowledge, there are no laws in Oregon against carrying a loaded rifle in your vehicle. The most common example of this in many parts of the state is a rifle hanging on the rear window rack of a truck. There are a lot of hunters and ranchers in this state.

I have yet to see an AR hanging from a rack, but it is technically not illegal. However, if you are questioned about it and asked if you are intending to hunt with it do not answer yes. It is illegal in Oregon to hunt with a center fire rifle that takes a detatchable magazine and is loaded with a magazine that holds more than 5 rounds.

In my opinion, and it is strictly a free opinion, you should be perfectly fine if you had a rifle in a "go-bag" case with loaded magazines in seperate pockets on the case. You can also have loaded magazines for your pistol in the vehicle as well as long as they are seperate from your pistol.

Oregon is an open carry state. The only places you are likely to be harassed are Beaverton, Portland and possibly(though accounts differ) Eugene. Wear it openly, and you should be fine. I moved to Oregon four years ago, give or take a few months, and i researched this carefully, including a call to the state police and three S.Os.

Of course, you say you are "passing through', and my answer presumes just that. Some smaller towns may well have policies against open carry, but you should be fine along the major highways, with the exception of the cities I mentioned.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links