Robbery

This is a discussion on Robbery within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the state of Ohio where I live, our CCW laws say that we cannot use our gun if we are robbed, and that lethal ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robbery

Question Robbery

In the state of Ohio where I live, our CCW laws say that we cannot use our gun if we are robbed, and that lethal force cannot be used to protect property.

So here is the Question-Someone robs you at knife or gun point-"Do you give them what they want and wait for them to make a move, or do you act as soon as there weapon is seen ? "

Scott

2. Remove Ads

You move to Texas! Is that really what the law says? Vote those knuckleheads out of office.

I personally will act as soon as I know the BG's intentions, I'll spend the cash to defend myself if need be. Like it has been said, many times, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Red face robbery

If the perp has a weapon he is fair game (KA-BOOM)
    now thats all I am gona say about that!!

Quote Originally Posted by eternalmagic View Post
    In the state of Ohio where I live, our CCW laws say that we cannot use our gun if we are robbed, and that lethal force cannot be used to protect property.

So here is the Question-Someone robs you at knife or gun point-"Do you give them what they want and wait for them to make a move, or do you act as soon as there weapon is seen ? "

Scott
    I doubt this part is actually in the law...I'd like to see THAT...
    How is one to determine if you're about to protect property or your own life?
    Pull a knife on me or I suspect you are about to pull a gun and the 'dance' is gonna' start without the music.

But then I live in the GunShine State...I at least have the opportunity to protect myself if I fear for my life...any place I have a legal right to be...

Stay armed...know your specific laws...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    "You feared for your life", which you should if your bring robbed. If you fire to preserve your life, it has nothing to do with property.

When you see the weapon directed at you, you are in mortal fear of your life, regardless of whether the perp wanted your wallet, or directions to the theatre. Also, I understand the Ohio legislature has adopted the Castle Doctrine, which should protect you post shooting the perp.

VIP Member
    Robbed? Why would you wait for the chit chat? I see a guy with a gun or knife moving toward me it's on. No need to find out anything more than he's armed.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

If a weapon is pointed at me, I'am in fear of my life.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    If I think the BG is going for a weapon, even if one is not found later (a furtive gesture), it's A.M.F. (and I'm not talking about the bowling people).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

If somebody tried to rob me without showing a weapon I would just laugh and walk away. If they show a gun or knife, then they are fair game to meet their maker.

If somebody tried to rob me with a bat or some other blunt object, then more than likely they will be starring down the wrong end of the barrel as I am backing away.

Unless you got a crystal ball how do you know he won't stab or shoot you after complying,somebody pulls a weapon I'm in fear for my life if it later turns out to be a squirt gun or airsoft then he screwed up and brought a toy to a gun fight.By the way I live in a state "TEXAS"that believes you have the right to defend yourself and your property with some rules with deadly force
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by eternalmagic View Post
    Repeat after me: burglary is theft of property, with property as the target. Robbery, by comparison, is a direct threat to life, with the ancillary benefit of property.

That's why it is most certainly within the legal right of people in most states to defend against ROBBERY with force up to and including lethal force. Ohio, as well.

I think you need to re-read the Ohio statutes. If your life is directly threatened and you justifiably fear the loss of it, are you telling me that Ohio deems you the criminal for lifting a finger to defend it? I think not.

From the Ohio Attorney General's guide on concealed carry, Ohio's Concealed Carry Law:
    In Ohio, deadly force can be used only to prevent serious bodily harm or death. It can never be used to protect property only.
    Who's to say what they want is merely "stuff," eh? You willing to bet your life on that?

Not I.

Depends on the exact situation, number of attackers, whether drawing my firearm can be done without immediately being seen, the attention span of the attacker(s), and so on.

But, one thing is clear. In a robbery, it's not about the money. It's about my life and the lives of my loved ones. I am prepared to do anything necessary to keep that from being taken. I'm prepared to fight unfairly, to wait for the moment, to draw immediately, or whatever else is necessary. Damn right. Justifiably so. Even in Ohio.

Check the recent "Castle" law signed by Ohio's governor. (NRA ILA web site's summary.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDun View Post
    If somebody tried to rob me with a bat or some other blunt object, then more than likely they will be starring down the wrong end of the barrel as I am backing away.
    Why educate?

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Robbed? Why would you wait for the chit chat? I see a guy with a gun or knife moving toward me it's on. No need to find out anything more than he's armed.
    Let me know how that works out for ya... You may have just shot an citizen who was merely open carrying.

No where does the law of self defense cover shooting "anyone who is armed."

You must be placed in Jeopardy before you shoot or you may have free room and board for the next 30 years. A person carrying a gun, thus having the Ability and Opportunity doesn't cut it without the Jeopardy component.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

All threats with a weapons puts me in fear for my safety and life. I will do what it takes to do what it takes to stop all such threats.
    All comments to the police will be I was in fear of my life I thought he was going to kill me. I need to call my lawyer. May I call my lawyer? As soon as he arrives I will be happy to answer all your questions.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links