Utah Application, answering "yes" to a criminal question

This is a discussion on Utah Application, answering "yes" to a criminal question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I am looking for any advice on the best way to document this. The Utah app asks : " ☐ Yes ☐ No ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Utah Application, answering "yes" to a criminal question

Utah Application, answering "yes" to a criminal question

Hey guys,
    I am looking for any advice on the best way to document this.

The Utah app asks : " ☐ Yes ☐ No Have you ever been convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude? (i.e., theft, criminal mischief, sex crimes, etc.) If you answer “Yes” to any question, attach documentation explaining your answer. "

I was convicted of criminal mischief years ago. Paid a fine, did some time in county, no probation, no alcohol, no violence, many years back. I haven't been disqualified under NICS or NFA and have CCWs issued by 3 states since then. I am confident that answering "yes" is not grounds for disqualification, but I want to be sure I give them what they need.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what Utah BCI expects for 'documentation explaining' ? Do I just write a letter? do I need an official discharge ? Anyone been there ?

2. Remove Ads

I don't know about Utah, but SC has a question if you have ever been convicted or paid a fine. That includes speeding tickets. From what I understand, SC wants to see how forthcoming the applicant is. I've read of applicants with pardons and because they omitted their conviction/fine on the application they were denied and had to appeal.

I say tell them, if UT is like SC they are going to find out anyway. SC requires a note describing the charge and what the final conclusion was.
    Last edited by Swamp Fox; September 1st, 2008 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Clarification

VIP Member
    UT are good about that stuff. My Friend had a DUI.( He was asleep in truck with it running in a back parking lot. Weather in the 20's F. Cop arrested him). He done a course and got out of it with nothing on his record. He was not going to put it on the form. I said they may find out and then they may not give you the permit. He added a note with the app and they did not even call him. He got the permit. Good Luck.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Answer honestly, and see how it comes out. It is a big mistake to tell a lie on the application.

Best,
    Jerry

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I would certainly include it. If you leave out anything, it'll appear you're trying to hide something.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I have no issues answering yes- they just want a documented explanation, and I'm not really sure what they really expect

If they do a proper check they will find out. If you answer no and they find out there is a good chance you will be screwed. Loke Swamp Fox said in SC you better put down that you have had speeding tickets because they do check and of you didn't declare them you will be turned down at least that time. If you declare everything and there is nothing major they will pass it through.

I would just write a letter explaining it and if they want more they will ask for it. Primarily they are interested in honesty and major stuff.

You'll want to document it extensively--give them the case number, etc, so they can rigorously review the record. I've seen some clear that I didn't expect to, and others denied that I thought were a shoe- in.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

What you may need to do is answer yes and provide a notarised copy of the court documents showing arrest conviction and disposition of the case
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lying on a ccw app is just asking for trouble.... I wouldn't do it...:smil

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Tell the truth. And briefly attach all facts as you recall them.

If yours is like ours, somewhere else in the Application it says "failure to provide factual information is grounds for denial".

Why don't you call the Utah BCI on the phone and ask them what they require instead of getting a bunch of conflicting internet BS opinions? JMHO. YMMV.

Ken

p.s.; I think they will be happy to tell you what you need to do and, if you get the name of the person you talk to you can add a note saying that what you provided is what you were told to do. Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    You're just applying for an out of state permit. You already have an in state permit, I assume. Worst case scenario, you get denied and are out the $65-ish for the app.

If you're concerned about the $, make the call mentioned above.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

If you want to contact

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyKen View Post
    Why don't you call the Utah BCI on the phone and ask them what they require instead of getting a bunch of conflicting internet BS opinions? JMHO. YMMV.

Ken

p.s.; I think they will be happy to tell you what you need to do and, if you get the name of the person you talk to you can add a note saying that what you provided is what you were told to do. Good luck.

Very good idea to call them but I didn't really see actual conflicting opinions, just varying degrees. It was pretty much universal to never lie on an application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links