Slight incident tonight

Slight incident tonight

This is a discussion on Slight incident tonight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was out delivering pizzas this evening looking for an address. It was about 1900, so it was still light, but the sun was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Slight incident tonight

So I was out delivering pizzas this evening looking for an address. It was about 1900, so it was still light, but the sun was down. I drove past a few houses and then realized I went too far. The "thugs" on the porch of one house nearby my destination were eyeballing me. I didn't know at the time but these thugs weren't where I needed to go. I turn around to go back to find the address and one of these thugs flagged me down. Thinking its my customer I reluctantly pull up. The one guy walks down from the porch, motions for me to pull over and then he walks up to the passenger side window. I crack it about 3 inches (doors locked) to hear him speak.

He was a black male about 25, baggy gym shorts, white tank top, flat billed hat... and before I could get out "What the address on the order"? he blurted out "do you have change for a $20"? At this point I realize this is not the address, the one I need is a few houses down. I told him I don't carry enough change that I couldn't break it. He persisted about me breaking it "Com'n man I know you've got the change, you're a pizza man". I have two guns with me in the car, my Glock 36 on my person and my Taurus PT111 Pro stuffed in the space between the seat and console. At this point I reached my hand down to my right side where I keep the Taurus. I think he notices and backs up a bit, not seeing it, but obviously realizing I have something out of his view. Again I say, "Sorry man, no change", as I begin to pull off noticing the actual house I had to deliver to.

The whole time I was watching his movements. He seemed a little off, not frigidity, just my gut telling me something. In retrospect I realized he had no pockets (meaning no $20)... could he have been waiting for me to be stupid and take out all my cash and then rob me? Or did he really need change? Whatever it was when I reached for my Taurus he knew something was up and broke off.

Did I go too far? I remember another member one time saying something about how "BG's have spidey senses too, and they can tell you aren't going to be an easy target". Do you think this has some truth to it?

Yes there is truth to it! Bad guys look for the easiest victim, one that won't put up a fight. And No, you didn't go too far. You stayed in your vehicle, with the doors locked. You did not need to present your weapon, merely HINT at it's presence. There was no "brandishing" involved, no one was injured nor shots fired. I say good job, but next time would you pull in if they waved you over??
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Of course he needed change.... he was about to make a purchase! (what or where? And why couldn't he get change from the dealer/seller? ).

You did fine. Just don't draw prematurely, or you'll be the bad guy. But I'd suggest getting to know the addresses better (a map with what numbers are in what blocks could be helpful).

A common trick to rob Pizza deliveries is to use a non existent address. When you're looking for it, they'll flag you down, just like tonight. At that point, driving off may be your best bet. Also, a flashlight powerful enough to read a house address from your car is a great help.

Stay safe!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    Of course he needed change.... he was about to make a purchase! (what or where? And why couldn't he get change from the dealer/seller? ).

You did fine. Just don't draw prematurely,
    Didn't plan to unless he did first

But I'd suggest getting to know the addresses better (a map with what numbers are in what blocks could be helpful).
    I have a GPS, so it helps out a lot. It gets me in the general area, not exactly where I need to be. It can get me within 2 or 3 houses though. We have a map at the store, and this particular address I called back before I left because it seemed odd "666" Nelson st.

A common trick to rob Pizza deliveries is to use a non existent address. When you're looking for it, they'll flag you down, just like tonight. At that point, driving off may be your best bet. Also, a flashlight powerful enough to read a house address from your car is a great help.

Stay safe!
    Thanks for the info, I've been in the market for a good flashlight. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I wish people would turn their darn porch lights on more until then

It sounds like that was a more dangerous situation than you yet appreciate.

I spent years in pizza delivery.

It is more dangerous than firefightingor police work.

It is comparable to lumberjacking and working on an oil rig.

Pm me if you want straight skinny.

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Thanks for the info, I've been in the market for a good flashlight. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I wish people would turn their darn porch lights on more until then
    May I suggest a 3 D cell Maglight for this task. I know the small lights are great to carry all the time but I and my father have both carried Larger D cell Maglights for this task with the Fire Department for 7 years and they work GREAT
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    The whole time I was watching his movements. He seemed a little off, not frigidity, just my gut telling me something. In retrospect I realized he had no pockets (meaning no $20)... could he have been waiting for me to be stupid and take out all my cash and then rob me? Or did he really need change? Whatever it was when I reached for my Taurus he knew something was up and broke off.

Did I go too far? I remember another member one time saying something about how "BG's have spidey senses too, and they can tell you aren't going to be an easy target". Do you think this has some truth to it?
    Hey, if he really needed change... No harm, no foul that you didn't accommodate him! But we both know that's not what he was looking for!

No, you did not go too far! I think you handled yourself well.

Yes, Spidey Sense is most definitely REAL! Listen to it... Use it... stay alive because of it.

And yes, BG's have spidey sense too! They are predators and can most definitely sense when they are talking to a

It gets ugly when both you and the BG chooses to ignore your perspective spidey senses!

Good Job! Glad you were able to drive away regardless.

Glad you posted here for confirmation because when you avoid a situation and nothing happens, you don't get any direct feedback of whether you were just imagining things or if you were in fact correct in your assumptions.

I'd say you are sufficiently armed, so stay that way and don't ignore your gut feelings.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    I say good job, but next time would you pull in if they waved you over??
    I'll pay better attention in the future after tonight, but I also need to be careful not to ignore it all the time too. I don't want my manager to be getting complaints from my customers all the time either.

I guess I need to find some kind of balance.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    May I suggest a 3 D cell Maglight for this task. I know the small lights are great to carry all the time but I and my father have both carried Larger D cell Maglights for this task with the Fire Department for 7 years and they work GREAT
    They'll also do a job as an improvised weapon. Just ask Malice Green (oh wait, you can't!).... okay so Google the name. Too tired to go into an off topic explanation .
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Could have been a news story but wasn't... I'd say ya done good!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Staying alert will keep you safe...you handled that well.
    Why would this guy go from a porch to your car to ask for change? He had 'bad' intentions.

Stay armed...be careful...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

sounds like you did the right thing. well done.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Good Job! You should be very careful, many pizza drivers have been ambushed doing the same thing, especially in a "nicer" neighborhood where the thugs think they can catch you unaware. There is no safe place.

Times sure have changed. Wells Fargo used to have a guy riding shotgun with a cut down 12 gauge. Maybe that's what we will need in the future to deliver pizza .

Good job! You came away without a scratch and without having to defend yourself. I'm surprised he didn't use the old, "have you got a light" ploy.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links