1st experience with state trooper while carrying

This is a discussion on 1st experience with state trooper while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had my chl for over a year now and finally had my first run in with a texas state trooper. The wife and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1st experience with state trooper while carrying

I have had my chl for over a year now and finally had my first run in with a texas state trooper. The wife and I were on our way to california to visit family for vacation. We were in the middle of nowhere in west texas and it was 2am. The speed limit is 65 at night and I had the cruise set at about 70~72. I saw the cruiser going the opposite direction and when we passed him I saw him cut across the divider and turn around, he caught up quickly and pulled in behind me and then hit the lights. When he came to the passenger window I already had my license and chl in hand and my wife had the insurance form. I informed him that I was carrying and he looked over our paperwork. He looked more concerned about our 90lb german shepherd in the back seat than me carrying and asked me to step out of the vehicle away from the dog to give me a warning. He had me stand back by his cruiser while he filled out the warning, and then handed it to me and said have a nice night and drive safe. He was very courteous and professional, and only asked the location of my gun while we were walking back to his cruiser. I told him it was on my right hip and that was it. So I got a warning and kept it at 65 until dawn. For getting pulled over it was a good experience.
    dzrtbronco

I talk to LEOs 3-4 times a week and most say to mention that you have a CCP before mentioning that you have a gun. Sounds like you were calm and collected which usually helps things out. If he pulled you over for 5-9 mph over he must have been bored.

Great stop...now THAT is how is supposed to be...

Did you slow down?

Stay armed...don't exceed the limit...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    He stopped you for 72 in a 65 at 2 am?

Wow, Texas really stinks.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

My guess is that something else caught his eye other than the speed or thought it was a drunk driver and used the speed to pull the vehicle over. No harm No foul.

If you are going 72mph in a 65 zone......then you are violating the law. 2 am, 2 pm or anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post
    If you are going 72mph in a 65 zone......then you are violating the law. 2 am, 2 pm or anytime.
    They won't usually bother for anything under ten over around here or anywhere else I know of. Besides...having a loose animal in the vehicle is also a violation of the law most places. I'm also guessing that most vehicles on the road at 0200 would be considered suspicious by LE. Your scenario turned out well considering.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    He stopped you for 72 in a 65 at 2 am?

Wow, Texas really stinks.

AFS

Look at it this way. It was a warning.......and it shows the trooper's superior's that he is actively doing something....been there and done that.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

It's two in the morning...about the times bars close and he is travelling in excess of the speed limit. The trooper is doing his job. I would have puled him over too. The OP doesn't seem to be bothered by the stop. I think he handled it well.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    They won't usually bother for anything under ten over around here or anywhere else I know of. Besides...having a loose animal in the vehicle is also a violation of the law most places. I'm also guessing that most vehicles on the road at 0200 would be considered suspicious by LE. Your scenario turned out well considering.
    I've never seen a law requiring a dog to be caged while in a vehicle anywhere I've ever lived or driven.I think the LEO was doing his job but was more interested in Illegal aliens or Drug Interdiction and you gave him PC to stop by exceeding maximum posted speed limit
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Gumbo View Post

Yeah, but let's be realistic here. I bet you'd be ticketing HALF the drivers on the road if you stopped everyone for going 72 in a 65 zone.

Perhaps the LEO was totally bored and just looking for something to do to keep him awake, or maybe lots of drunk drivers on that road.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I didn't have a problem getting pulled over for doing 7 over the limit, I wouldn't have cared if it was 3 over. I know that if I exceed the limit there is a chance I could be pulled over no matter how small. This was in the middle of nowhere with very little traffic in the area and I just think he was hitting anyone and everyone who gave him a reason, thats his job as he probly had nothing else to do out there. There is no way he saw the dog until he walked up to the car, and actually we had the dobermann also so I think he asked me out of the car because he was afraid one of the dogs was going to go through the window, or he just wanted to keep an eye on me while he walked back to his car to run my license and fill out the warning. I posted this as a positive experience story, the trooper was courteous and professional, and I gave him no reason not to be. And also he was holding my chl before I informed him that I was carrying, if my origional post was confusing.
    dzrtbronco

I could be wrong here, but I believe in Texas the speek limits are reduced at night. It could have been 65 during the day, but 55 at night.

Quote Originally Posted by keydet90 View Post
    I could be wrong here, but I believe in Texas the speek limits are reduced at night. It could have been 65 during the day, but 55 at night.
    Yes, the speeds are reduced at night to 65 from 75 in the daytime.

I too am surprised at being pulled over for such a minor speed violation, but agree that he may have had underlying PC or boredom reasons for doing so, aside from the speed limit itself. Here in GA, most cops including troopers won't bother you for 10mph over unless you're in a school or construction zone or otherwise driving at-risk.

At any rate he was nice enough to give you a warning and no grief over the fact you were carrying.

My experience has been similar here in GA. As I mentioned in one of the Welcome threads today that asked the question about LEO notification, I've only been pulled over once for speeding while carrying, but have been through several DUI/insurance roadblocks (as well as one manhunt roadblock). In each case I've always handed over the CCW along with the driver's license and insurance. They always thank me and hand it back, usually without even a glance as they take awhile to inspect my DL and insurance. I've never actually announced that I'm carrying, choosing to wait until asked, and so far they have never asked.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links