A Rude Pro 2nd Amendment Supporter Harassed My Daughter - Page 2

A Rude Pro 2nd Amendment Supporter Harassed My Daughter

This is a discussion on A Rude Pro 2nd Amendment Supporter Harassed My Daughter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "" Waste as much time as possible and make sure the purchase gets totaled up, and then change my mind and tell them why."" IMHO ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    "" Waste as much time as possible and make sure the purchase gets totaled up, and then change my mind and tell them why.""

IMHO going in with the premeditated plan you describe is just one minor step below theft of service and is not only rude but does not do anything but punish the person or persons on the lowest end of the corporate chain.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Just don't shop there.. Give the manager a "NO GUNS=NO MONEY" card and stop being a PIA.

Bosco
    Here's the problem with doing just that simple little thing-the store manager has no idea HOW MUCH they've lost.
    Said best here:
    Hopefully, your daughter will relate the incident to management and they'll realize that their policy lost at least one $800 sale.
    Now the management KNOWS how much they're losing,and can actually relate lost sales to no guns,and the use of the No Guns=No Money card actually gets the point across with the $$$ of the lost sale right in front of them to drive it home.
    JL
    Ruger KP944 40 S&W
    Ruger P89 9mm

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I respectfully do not agree that we are a "fairly large segment of the population". Actually, I believe we are the minority...one of the reasons why it is an uphill education battle. Regardless...I think the buyers had an axe to grind and should of taken their views to the managers...at the beginning. She was just following store policy. I agree with the OP...

Rick
    I agree.
    Some hurt our cause more than helping by being rude and inconsiderate with those who have no authority.
    I do suspect that some here would applaud if it were not one of ours.

Regards,
    Jerry

Administrator
    I can see both sides, but harassment it isnt, maybe rude.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    J.....These folks deliberately stole an hour from your daughter to make a political point. They indeed should have spoken to the manager--before playing this game! ......

This is highly unlikely IMO. I can't imagine them intentionally wasting a full hour of time of a store clerk. What purpose could that possibly serve? Now, if they knew it was the store owner (the person responsible for the no-gun sign), then PERHAPS it's a possibility.

The more likely scenario IMO is that the guy had buyer's remorse about paying $800 for 2 pairs of glasses, and used the no-gun sign as an excuse to get out of the sale.

Kinda the same thing happened to me when I visited my eye doctor last year. I was chatting with girl about new glasses and maybe took up 15 minutes of her time, then she hit me with price of $450, and I just about fainted. I stammered a few words and then just left. I went to the local BJ's and bought two pair of glasses for $200 ($100 per pair).

So, with regards to OP comments about rude 2A supporters - I don't think they were rude at all. And the daughter should not stereotype us as such. Being in commission-based sales means you win some and you lose some, that's all there is to it. The more you lose, means the more you win. So, the more negativity you can handle, the more successful you will be. That's why so many people cannot handle that type of job...................

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I agree that these people should have taken their business elsewhere when they saw the sign. To go in and waste peoples time or go through the whole process of a sale only to tell them at the last minute that you change your mind is just simply childish, stupid and lowers peoples view of you all around.

If you don't have anything better to do than getting your kicks from wasting business peoples time, then you should either get a life or take up some hobbies. Does anyone agree that it is ok to go into a grocery store and fill up a buggie with groceries just to leave it in the middle of an isle and walk out, never intending to make a purchase, but simply to give the people working something else to do. That is something that junior high kids would think was fun.

I have had people bring in tax or bookwork to my office and after I get done they don't like the results or they have heard from a friend that someplace else got them extra money or whatever, and then they want their stuff back to take someplace else. I gladly give them their stuff and tell them good luck, after they have wasted my time. If and when they ever come back, and some have, I just charge them about double what I would normally. I figure the grass wasn't greener on the other side of the fence the first time. But these people didn't bring their stuff in initially with the intention of wasting my time. At least I hope they didn't.

In my book, it boils down to respect. If you don't have enough respect for yourself or someone else, than to purposely waste someone's time, well then your not much better than some of the other folks that don't mind stealing material things.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Two scenarios"

1. After seeing the NO GUN sign, I would ask for the manager. " Sir my wife and I are in need of new eyeglasses but since this store/chain has a NO GUN policy I have no other option but to shop somewhere else. " Manager knows that 2 pair maybe 4 with sunglasses is a decent sale and would have a nice plus to his stores daily sales. So he reports it to management. "like a district manager, who will or will not do anything about it."

2. I get to the point where the total price knocks my socks off. "Wow that's a little more than I was prepared to spend right now. I'll think about it and may be back later. Thanks for your help."

Maybe I am too sensitive since I was in that type of situation for 40 years but I
    have decided to leave my middle finger home when I put my gun in my holster.

Bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    This is highly unlikely IMO. I can't imagine them intentionally wasting a full hour of time of a store clerk. What purpose could that possibly serve? Now, if they knew it was the store owner (the person responsible for the no-gun sign), then PERHAPS it's a possibility.

The more likely scenario IMO is that the guy had buyer's remorse about paying $800 for 2 pairs of glasses, and used the no-gun sign as an excuse to get out of the sale.

Kinda the same thing happened to me when I visited my eye doctor last year. I was chatting with girl about new glasses and maybe took up 15 minutes of her time, then she hit me with price of $450, and I just about fainted. I stammered a few words and then just left. I went to the local BJ's and bought two pair of glasses for $200 ($100 per pair).

So, with regards to OP comments about rude 2A supporters - I don't think they were rude at all. And the daughter should not stereotype us as such. Being in commission-based sales means you win some and you lose some, that's all there is to it. The more you lose, means the more you win. So, the more negativity you can handle, the more successful you will be. That's why so many people cannot handle that type of job...................

-

I tend to agree. It just doesn't sound to me as if the couple in question went into the store with the express intention of wasting anyone's time just to make a point.

One other observation....... As a long time retail executive, I'll offer that successful commissioned sales people will always be in extremely high demand. Can you imagine the impression she would make if she were to walk in to her boss and tell him that she was leaving and taking her talents elsewhere because the company's discriminatory policy was impacting her ability to earn a living? Now that might get someone's attention. Ultimately, she'd be benefiting herself too. Sales is tough. It's tougher when you intentionally reduce your potential customer base.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I don't see the logic used here in some of the comments....
    A person chooses a sales job that's commission only.
    This salesperson spends time doing job for potential sale.
    This salesperson loses sale.
    Now,in 99% of the cases where this happened,the salesperson would have just moved onto the next person and thought nothing of it,and wouldn't be mad about anything. How is losing the sale because the person that was shopping decided that they really didn't want to do business with this particular establishment any different than somebody that just decided it was more costly than they had planned? It's still a lost sale,and at the end of the day,is no different.
    JL
    Ruger KP944 40 S&W
    Ruger P89 9mm

Sounds like they were "attempting" to make large purchase to show the store and your daughter how much they are losing with the anti 2nd ammend sign. Had there been no sign, these people most likely would not have even entered the store. Why would I enter a store, take the time to look through many sets of glasses, knowing I am against their anti gun policy - and then "decide" it is not for me. They were attempting to make a point and wasting your daughter's time.

The bottom line is the sign was at the entrance. That kind of blows a great big hole in the argument for a slap on the back for the good ole defender of 2a.

The breaking point between the two sides in this arguement is at the brink of civility and respect vs just plain brash behavior. And the arguements defending Mr. & Mrs. X are worthy of grammer school politics at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    In certain circumstances, I have been known to do the same thing before. Waste as much time as possible and make sure the purchase gets totaled up, and then change my mind and tell them why.

I figure the money that they see they lost because of their stance makes a much bigger impact than the money they never see they lost because I didn't enter the store in the first place.

And sometimes it works...sometimes the signs come down.
    I really can't say I disagree with this as a tactic. Not always, but in the right circumstances, as Kerbouchard says.

It would be even more effective if a number of people did it. It does drive home the point that it's real business they are losing. The bottom line is the best way to make an impact with a business. If you're the business owner, and you're on the receiving end, you wouldn't like it.

That, of course, is the whole idea. The business also wouldn't much care for you walking back and forth with a sign urging customers to boycott the store, either. That's also a legitimate expression of dissatisfaction.

It doesn't sound to me like the couple was necessarily rude to the OP's daughter. We also don't know if that was their intention from the outset. They may have just stewed about it for a while, then decided they could not, in good conscience, do business there. I've certainly done that, when I've decided I just don't like the people trying to sell me something.

In Texas, I don't even consider a business anti-gun unless they have a legal sign. They just have no bearing on anything. I figure that if the people were anti-concealed carry, they'd go to the trouble to put up the right sign. It's easy to do. And besides, as we say, concealed is concealed.

If they do have the legal exclusionary sign, showing a true intent, I will never do business with them, and would not be averse to employing any legitimate and effective tactic to help them see the error of their ways. After all, it's not to their, or my detriment if they come around.

To the OP: If the management sees they're losing business by their anti-gun stance, and changes their policy, it might even save your daughter's life one of these days.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I see two possibilities here. Either the X's vision is so impaired they didn't see the sign until they got to the register, or they are suffering from severe rectal cranial inversion. All they have done is punish someone that has no control over the policy they object to.

Reality check time folks. The loss of that $800 sale is insignificant to the people they are trying to make their point to. If this company has only ten stores, and each store makes only three sales like this a day, and they are open six days per week....... They lost less than one one hundredth of one percent of their sales. That means for each hundred dollars of sales they have, they just lost almost a penny.

I am sure the stock holders will be up in arms over this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I am sure the stock holders will be up in arms over this.
    Ah, glasshoppa, from single snowflake starts the avalanche . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

What do you all think of the actions of Mr. & Mrs X?
    ---Their call
    Did they do a good job of defending 2nd Amendment rights?
    ---Not really. They just used the 1st
    Would you do the same as they did?
    ---NO! Send a letter / shop somewhere else

IMO, both parties did not do well. Your daughter should be more aware of the issues (esp with sign on door). Then again, she is just trying to make it in the world. Sounds like she keep her cool & did her best.

The gun rights people were (in theory) right, but acted a bit in the wrong (they are trying to punish a business but they are just punishing a hard working mother). Your daughter was slightly in the wrong (not being informed), but acted right.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I can see both sides, but harassment it isnt, maybe rude.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    ...Some hurt our cause more than helping by being rude and inconsiderate with those who have no authority...I do suspect that some here would applaud if it were not one of ours.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Yep, trouble makers. There's a fine line between making points and making enemies, and it sounds like these folks haven't learned the difference.
    +0.5 They made their point. Sometimes the point is not to make friends. But I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Which tells me that your daughter and the others, IMO, have not thought about this beyond the direct impact on their income.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I think that if this story were not about the daughter of a forum member, most of us would have applauded the customer who ultimately decided to walk away from an establishment that does not support his right to carry.
    +1

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links