Workplace Incident: Lesson, and Reminder (my Boss found my XD)

This is a discussion on Workplace Incident: Lesson, and Reminder (my Boss found my XD) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, it had to happen eventually… try as I might to be “on point” mentally, I became distracted and complacent today, and basically screwed up ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Workplace Incident: Lesson, and Reminder (my Boss found my XD)

Well, it had to happen eventually… try as I might to be “on point” mentally, I became distracted and complacent today, and basically screwed up in a potentially disastrous way.

Started a new job at a marketing firm in Greensboro about 3 weeks ago, and my boss (Founder and CEO) is a great professional and a nice guy to boot. Part of his reason for hiring me was my background as a former Army Officer, as in his mind this compensated for my lack of industry experience. Anyway, there are about 18 employees here, and today coming back from lunch I have a lot on my mind, busy day after holiday weekend, excuse, excuse....

At work, my ‘uniform’ is a shirt & tie minus suit coat, so I carry the XD40 in a gutted $12 Walmart day planner with an Uncle Mike’s IWB holster clipped inside, plus spare mag of Federal HydraShock. Looks professional, easy unzip for crossdraw, hidden in plain sight.

Well, I come inside from the car and go right to the restroom to check my tie, sitting the CCW day planner on the toilet tissue dispenser….and promptly walk out leaving the weapon there.

Fifteen minutes later, my boss strolls into my office with a huge grin on his face, “you leave something?” I look at him weird, and he sets the day planner on my desk, chuckling. Red-faced, I asked if he had opened it, and he says “yes”. I stood up and immediately apologized for my oversight, while producing my Florida CCL for his verification.
    All he is worried about is if I have some stalker or disturbed enemy he is unaware of, and I tell him that no, everything is fine and that I am simply exercising my 2A right to carry. He is satisfied with that, and I told him that I never wanted to use it, never have, but someday might. I told him I appreciated his understanding, as some workplaces are very hostile to 2nd Amendment rights, and he says no problem. His actual quote was “Well, if someday I end up going postal, I will make sure it’s not in YOUR office.” We had a good laugh, despite me being thoroughly embarrassed by the whole @#$%^&* ordeal and my careless stupidity.
    Im just glad one of the sheeple here did not find it and freak on me.

Moral: don’t let your guard down. Check and recheck. Don’t get lazy or so distracted that you LOSE CONTROL OR PHYSICAL POSSESSION OF YOUR WEAPON. Basic training.

Hope this helps somebody today… it sure helped me, and it ended well. If you say 'what a *******, that would never happen to me' and go on to the next forum thread, watch out. It just might.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

Wow, that's embarrassing. Glad everything turned out alright.

Add this to the list of reasons, make that the primary reason, that off-person carry is a bad idea and is generally discouraged.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You are truly lucky to be working for such an understanding man. Where I work I would have been out the door immediately.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I got "caught" at work a couple of weeks ago. Luckily I work at a small family petroleum exploration business and it's usually just my secretary and me. All exterior doors are kept secured at all times due to a situation with an embezzling ex-employee who's life I've recently taken apart (don't rip off my family). I carry the XDM .40, but also keep a .357 wheel-gun in my desk. The secretary thought it would be a good idea to look for a menu in my desk and apparently was a little freaked out when she reached in for a menu and found a revolver. I don't believe I really did anything wrong...the moral of the story is stay out of the boss's friggin desk! Which is exactly what I told her when she tried to guilt me about it!

Note to self:

If using a day planner, fanny pack, or other carry device not attached to my person/clothing, secure item via wrist strap or place item in crotch of pants while using the restroom.

Yes, consider it a lesson learned...the easy way.

I would suggest trying a tuckable holster, a small pocket J-frame, or smartcarry. Since your boss is cool with it I wouldn't be all that worried. Some places with only 18 employees probably don't have rules against weapons, but always best to check.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Wow, I would be absolutely embarrassed as well. I'm glad YOU got the weapon back, and that someone else didn't find it and decide to keep it. I'm also glad your boss was understanding.

Thanks for sharing as a reminder for us all to never become lazy and complacent. There are NO excuses when it comes to a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Add this to the list of reasons, make that the primary reason, that off-person carry is a bad idea and is generally discouraged.
    +1!!

A good IWB holster will let you keep it on you at all times. For your wardrobe, a tuckable such as the Tucker Answer might be just the ticket.

What a good thing to have such a great boss!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Administrator
    This is easy to do with off body carry... but we all know that. I'm glad you learned a valued lesson with no harm. Your boss sounds like a good man.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is one of several reasons why I personally do not and will not entertain off body carry methods.
    There are all manner of on body concealed carry and deep cover carry holsters out there including several that have been reviewed and discussed in detail here at DC.com.

You dodged a bullet.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Glad you came out of this one ok, but as others have mentioned, there are a few ways to fix it. If off body carry is the only way you can pull it off, stop using the toilet tank or anything else as the place to sit your gear down. Start stuffing it into the "hammock".
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Since boss is cool with you carrying you need to get a tuckable holster,had the wrong person found it you may be facing criminal charges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Workplace incident

Thank goodness your weapon came back to you and not another employee. I think a bad scene was averted here. I guess its safe to say that you are not employed by Disney.

I work for a alarm company and my job is totally anti gun.. The only way I could carry would be one of the invisline under the pant type. I don't even bother at work(in the building).. I'm in a very secure building. I how ever I do carry on my way to and from work. I don't know what would happen if I got caught but I got the "your not going to bring it to work" question when my boss found out that I got my CPL and was buying a pistol. Anyways.. I'm not worried if they see me in the parking lot with it. But i'm wont bring it in here.. I'm on call frequiently so it sucks to have to disarm if I get called in late but oh well..
    ~XD-45 Compact~
    You might be weak but God is Strong!

Man you have a great boss. I would be looking for a new job, right about now.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links