What would you have done? - Page 2

What would you have done?

This is a discussion on What would you have done? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd lock it up and talk to the customer....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you have done?

VIP Member
    I'd lock it up and talk to the customer.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lock it in the trunk...tell the owner when he picks up the car...might even strike up a CCW conversation.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would call the customer and have him remove the weapon...I wouldn't touch it because you don't know the history of the weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I view it no different than a GPS or any other high dollar tool left in the car. Leave it alone, its not yours.

It was certainly irresponsible of the owner, I would say something about it for sure. I would only lock it up if it were a safety concern.
    +1...Maybe the guy just forgot it was there. I see no reason to try to "teach him a lesson." I also don't know why you would call the police, unless you had other reasons to believe that the guy was a dirtbag (e.g. a kilo of coke under the seat next to the gun).

I find it interesting that some would be so quick to make problems for this guy over what may have been an honest mistake. Is it a good idea to leave a firearm unattended? No, but IMO, it's not as big a deal as some of you are making it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Ding a Ling you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I probably would have called the owner...
    I drive customers' cars to bid trade ins. If I see the customer, I ask them if they have anything they want to get out of the car before I drive it. It's amazing how many people with a gun in the car understand what I'm asking. A lot of times I will just have them ride with me. Amazing how many folks will leave a gun, purse, briefcase..etc. in a car and give you the keys. I have had a gun slide out from under the seat many times. I always have the customer come secure it, I don't need accused if it is missing. I want them aware I saw it, and they need to deal with it. I don't want a call to come in about a missing gun, and have to look a my boss and say "what gun?".

Ramrod, that's stealing, no way around it. How would it look for his business if he had to explain that he took a firearm out of a customers vehicle and said nothing. BAD advice. We don't know the situation, maybe his wife borrowed the car and couldn't take it into the post office so she stashed it. Maybe he's an idot, that doesn't mean you should steal his firearm. It's not like he left it in a daycare. It's his vehicle(an extension of your home in Texas).
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    put it in the glove box or leave it there. I would definetly tell the owner what I did and why.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

SDM
    I don't think it's a bad thing to call a LEO, just DO NOT touch the piece. Just explain the situation, that it's probably a legal carry situation, but you are covering your arse and the collective arse of your shop.

If it IS a legal carry and he just forgot, then he will be contrite and apologetic. If he's annoyed, then having a LEO present will help take the burden of dealing with him from you...in a legal sense.

I don't think it's the same as a GPS in the sense that a handgun requires a higher level of responsibility. Is leaving it under the seat of a car when said car is not in your possession responsible? No. Doesn't mean it's up to US to teach him that lesson. Let LEO's handle it. By locking it up and telling the customer about it is just enabling that kind of behavior.

If it IS a legal carry and the customer gets a grudge with you, so be it. You really want an unreasonable person as a customer, passing on word-of-mouth info to others? Nah.

If, for whatever reason, I happened to bring my car to a shop for service, I happened to leave a holstered firearm under the seat (highly unlikely, but w/e), and someone who worked at the shop did something like remove the gun from the vehicle, call the police, or demand to see my ID or carry permit, there would be problems.

That vehicle, and everything in it, is the property of the owner. Keep your hands off the gun (and everything else inside the vehicle).
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I would lock it in the trunk or make sure the vehicle is locked (trucks, etc). I see no reason to call the police unless the guy looks or is acting suspicious. Like Sixto mentioned, its like any other high dollar item in a car, leave it alone unless there is risk someone else could get in there. Cars can sit in the parking lot most of the day in some cases waiting for the owner to pick it up

Ramrod, I sure hope you never make an honest mistake and someone decides to teach YOU a lesson. Was this guy careless? Yes. Does he deserve to have his property deliberatley stolen as a result? I think not. And that's exactly what it is if you take it and keep it. Stealing. He probably would be very grateful if someone like V8 took note and let him know his mistake.

A little kindness from everyone would go along way these days. So if you saw someone leave their car keys in their car with the doors unlocked while they grab a coffee at the gas station, would you drive off just to teach them a lesson?

You guys are too anal

Its just a gun for pete's sake not a kilo of cocain.

As an ex-auto technician/shop manager I would check to see if it was loaded, if it was an autoloader check to see if one is in the pipe. If so I would unload it and lock it in the trunk and kindly let the owner know about it and inform him that there are consequences to leaving a loaded gun where kids or certain undesireables can get them. The gun is HIS personel property and it should be his responsiblity. What if the shop knucklehead (most shops have at least one ) found it and started fooling with and shot somebody. Not good for the owner of the gun and the shop owner.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I would nt Call Leo. Give the guy the same treatment you would want. He may have had a lapse and you may cause him some Problems. What if you get a Cop who is ignorant of the gun laws. Could be a headache.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

I would have left the gun alone and ask the customer to please secure next time. People are human and mistakes are made. Just my take at it.

Should have took it to the range and then posted a write up on this forum.

(then put it back lol)
    "Life is like a box of chocolate... You never know who you are going to shoot."

my flickr photo page

Senior Moderator
    I know the owners of the three biggest tire shops here in town. I go to church with one of them, I hunt with another and another is a Reserve Deputy.

We have talked about this very thing, and they have told me that there is not a day that goes by the someone doesn't leave a gun in the vehicle to get serviced.

Anyone want to know how they handle it?

They don't.
    They don't call the cops, they don't lock it up and put it somewhere else, they don't play games with it, they just leave it alone. They consider it private property that is no different from any other private property.People also leave purses, prescription drugs, all kinds of stuff in there.They and their employees know not to mess with someone else's stuff, especially a gun.

Some of these responses surprise me somewhat. I think that we can all agree that it is probably not the best thing to do, but it is a fact of life. People will leave their guns in a vehicle for various reasons. In many states, it is legal to have a gun in the vehicle without a permit. If you don't have a concealed carry permit, then you may not have any choice but to leave it in a vehicle.

Calling an LEO for something that really isn't a problem is NOT the right rock. They have better things to do than to waste time on a non existent problem.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links