What would you have done?

This is a discussion on What would you have done? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I"ll start off by saying that I am a manager/lead Tech at a automotive repair shop. So today I was working on a first time ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you have done?

V8 [OP]

What would you have done?

I"ll start off by saying that I am a manager/lead Tech at a automotive repair shop.
    So today I was working on a first time customers car. The type of repair, required the removal of a lower cover of the dash panel. To access the panel you must move the seat back as far as possible and lay on the floorboard.
    You probably guessed it by now I'm sure, but I'll tell you anyway, there was a holstered weapon under the seat. At first I thought, what idiot leaves a gun in his car knowing that someone (that he dose not know) will be working on it. Remember this car and customer has never been at our shop before. I have no idea who he is and he has know idea how many people and what type of people will be in his car.
    So I started thinking, what should I do? Should I lock it in the trunk? Should I leave it there and not say anything. Or, should I talk to the customer when he picks up his car and tell him to remove his weapon from the car the next time he brings it in? I mean he is welcome to carry at the shop but leaving a gun in a car seems to be very irresponsible and foolish, and to be honest I don't want to be responsible for it.
    So what would you have done?

2. Remove Ads

I'd lock it in the trunk and tell the owner that you'd done so, then ask him to secure his weapon before leaving his vehicle for repair.
    When in doubt, just ask yourself, "What would Theodore Roosevelt do?"

Every society is 3 missed meals away from anarchy.

So what would you have done?
    In your position, I would have done this........remove the pistol and lock it up. Never say a word to the customer...if he's that careless to leave it in vehicle while being serviced, he doesn't actually deserve to come back to it in my opinion. Just see the reaction once you give the car back to him, and wait for the phone call. Maybe he really doesn't care and he'll just get another one thinking he lost it. I really don't understand the mindset of those who can readily leave their life in someone else's hands. Or put others at risk for their incompetence. If you don't want to take responsibility for the firearm, just take it out of the vehicle, and throw it on the shop floor...that way, it's public property, and the first one who picks it up has ownership.

Lead Moderator
    I would lock it in the trunk so it isn't easily accessible. Tossing it on the shop floor is just a foolish idea. Public property just because it was out in view? I don't think so.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    In your position, I would have done this........remove the pistol and lock it up. Never say a word to the customer...if he's that careless to leave it in vehicle while being serviced, he doesn't actually deserve to come back to it in my opinion. Just see the reaction once you give the car back to him, and wait for the phone call. Maybe he really doesn't care and he'll just get another one thinking he lost it. I really don't understand the mindset of those who can readily leave their life in someone else's hands. Or put others at risk for their incompetence. If you don't want to take responsibility for the firearm, just take it out of the vehicle, and throw it on the shop floor...that way, it's public property, and the first one who picks it up has ownership.
    I just hope your are joking!
    <
    <
    As is see it you can leave it alone, call law enforcement, or put it in the trunk. I think I would have put it unloaded in the trunk and told him where to find the weapon he forgot to secure.

i think i would have put it someplace else in the car, like with the spare tire, then when he calls asking about it, tell him that you would prefer he secures his gun before turning the car over for a service, and he can find it in the spare compartment. or something along those lines. maybe not with the spare, but in another location he wouldn't normally have thought to look.

maybe thats a tad mischievous, but i think he would get the idea.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

I've never worked in a repair shop but I don't think I would have payed much attention to it. It was in a holster which makes it harmless/safe unless someone removes it from the holster. My only fear would have been that someone in the shop, employee or otherwise, may have stolen the weapon while it was on the premises. Handguns are attractive to thieves. I'm sure a missing handgun wouldn't be good for customer relations. If it had been an AK47 or an AR15 in the vehicle that would bother me. But a handgun. In a holster.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Tuff call...I would of ceased all work and called the owner or the police (depending on the owner's response and demeanor...or some proof of ownership/CCW)

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I'd lock it in the trunk and tell the owner that you'd done so, then ask him to secure his weapon before leaving his vehicle for repair.
    +1

Would add that my prints would not be on the gun. Would tell him above nicely. Might consider only allowing the person who owns the car to pick up the car.

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    ...I don't think I would have payed much attention to it. It was in a holster which makes it harmless/safe unless someone removes it from the holster.
    Might depend where you live. In my world, at a shop, MI, would have been an issue worth a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Tuff call...I would of ceased all work and called the owner or the police...
    Could depend on where you live (even legal requirements). I agree, depends on reaction. However it would take a lot of doubt for me to get LE involved. In MI, handgun in car is not that odd (if you have CCW). I'm not LE, and can't demand CCW / proof. I think I could actually get in trouble for taking control of a handgun (prevent owner from regaining access) unless I have LE on way or I am in fear for my life.

If LE was involved, very likely guy looses gun, maybe CCW. You can't leave a handgun out of your control.

So, final thought, say something, as people make mistakes, even big ones. Sometimes, no harm, no foul.

Administrator
    I view it no different than a GPS or any other high dollar tool left in the car. Leave it alone, its not yours.

It was certainly irresponsible of the owner, I would say something about it for sure. I would only lock it up if it were a safety concern.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If it was possible someone else could see and take the gun, locking it in the trunk is a great idea. If the area was secure and I had the car in sight and in control 100% of the time, I might just leave the gun where it was, but only if I had positive control without exception.

I'd discuss the issue with the customer privately when he returned. If you get to know him better, maybe at some point you could discuss the benefits of on-body carry (assuming he has a permit).

Perhaps he forgot it was there and needs a reminder. Perhaps he thought no one would find it, and needs a thought adjustment.

Locking it in the trunk while in your shop is fine as long as you tell him you moved it. If he drives off not knowing you moved it, and then has an encounter where he feels he needs to draw, he's going to be unpleasantly surprised when he reaches below the seat and it isn't there.

If, as a customer, some business owner or technician approached me privately and politely about a sensitive issue, I would appreciate it. I have been given such treatment in the past at an auto shop, and I appreciated it. No, I didn't leave my gun under the seat, but it was still a sensitive issue. Just this week, I spent $1,100 at that same shop because I trust them and appreciate their work and confidentiality.

If I went to some business and they flipped out about my gun, I'd never go back.

I probably would have called the owner...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I just hope your are joking!
    <
    <
    As is see it you can leave it alone, call law enforcement, or put it in the trunk. I think I would have put it unloaded in the trunk and told him where to find the weapon he forgot to secure.
    No, actually I'm not. Some folks need to learn, and obviously some of them need to learn the hard way. An unattended weapon is a risk to the public. Most are thinking it's a slight bit irresponsible. Now you can obviously see the differences in our thinking. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

YEP.

I worked at a Motorsports shop Parts dept in 2001 and had someone come in with their Hayabusa street cycle. One of the tech's was out sick so they asked me to do an oil change. Customer left, I went to wheel the bike in the garage but it had a kill switch on it, so I opened the storage compartment and there was a 1911 in it. I asked my boss what I should do, and he said call the police. So I called the cops, explained the situation and a LEO showed up shortly. He called in the serial number, called the owner and held on to it til the owner arrived.
    The owner was very understanding and apologetic. He got home and realized it wasn't in his jacket, and minutes later the officer called.

A month later another customer came by for some work and the same thing happened. There was a .38 in the storage compartment, but this time with the serials ground off. I called the same officer and he took the gun and waited for the customer to get back. The customer walked into the parking lot, saw the police car and ran. Turns out he was wanted for about 15 armed robberies in the area and the bike was his getaway.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links