concealed carry at work?

This is a discussion on concealed carry at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i work as a paramedic for an ambulance service, by boss is pro gun and has a CCP but i am trying to bring up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: concealed carry at work?

concealed carry at work?

i work as a paramedic for an ambulance service, by boss is pro gun and has a CCP but i am trying to bring up the issue of can i conceal at work since we go into VERY bad parts of town. i understand both sides of the issue. my side is because of the parts of town, and the safety of me and my coworkers (who would not know i carry). on the other hand if a pt who is afraid of guns notices (which shouldnt happen but just incase) it could case more problems. the question i have is im trying to find a tactful and polite way of asking to be able to conceal on duty. anyone have any experience with this.

and i apoligize for the spelling and gramatical errors, im in a hurricane shelter working with medical needs evacuees right now.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Do you have a permit to carry concealed? Well, if you do, in your capacity, I don't believe it would be allowed on the job anyway. I know it's not what you want to hear, but think about it. Do you work for the city, county, or a private corporation? A lot of things will complicate you carrying on the job....it's the nature of the beast. P.S., I wouldn't test the waters if I were you....unless you've already been looking for another job.

i work for a private service, the boss is very cool. i told him im trying to schedule my CCP class when i have some free time from work. he thinks it is a great idea and thats when he told me he has his permit and carries regularly.

im thinking that he will say no, but it cant hurt to ask right?

im taking my CC class this month with the extra money from the hurricane work.
    Ted Nugent

I too have brought up this question to my Cheif. He says he is cool with it but the service will not allow it. We are a county serivce and go to many of the worst areas of town, we are always there before the police and sometimes if feels as if the police "clear" us to enter to short out things for them before they get there. We had one night when a pshy pt tried to jump out the back doors, pulled a knife on us and was chasing me and my partner. We called for PD three times before they answered our cry for help. That next day I bought a vest and wear it all the time now. Most of us are pro gun and most of us have our CHL. The boss man says okay but the ones in the office behind the desk say no. I fulling understand. Even our police ask us why we don't carry. Makes no sense to me. Sad to think, but it will take one of our medics getting really hurt our killed to get the rules changed around here.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    i work as a paramedic for an ambulance service, by boss is pro gun and has a CCP but i am trying to bring up the issue of can i conceal at work since we go into VERY bad parts of town.
    With proper concealment gear, I do not see any problem in maintaining proper concealment while doing your work. However, I see another more likely problem. For example, in Texas as well as many other states many, if not most, hospitals do not permit concealed carry in the hospital. If that is your situation, then that leaves you with the choice of having to leave your firearm in the ambulance when delivering the patient into the hospital building. I suppose arrangements could be made for locking the pistol up in the ambulance before going into the hospital. But what do you do with the patient while you are locking your firearm up in the ambulance?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would guess that you guys are out of luck on the carry on the job issue. I worked the "traveling trauma truck" a few years in the 70's, so I know where you go. My partner and I were called to a "man down" at a local bar one night....yep, he was down - drt- his wife had gone into full term labor in the back corner of the dive, his dad was havinig a heart attack at one of the tables (a real family place, you know), and the "gentleman" that shot him was sitting at the bar with a beer, his trusty .38 on the bar in front of him saying "I shot him fer dead"...... Not a fun position to be in when you're 5 minutes ahead of the LEOs. Also been in the back of the truck clinging to a fire extinguisher for protection from multiple drunken knife fight "victims".

Now, think about the places your job actually takes you. Just because of the necessity of your job taking you into those places does not make your carry permit more valid than the next permit holder. Would you intentionally carry into theos "off limits" places while off duty? I would doubt the law would be viewed differently because of your own circumstances.

Personally, I think every crash crew, trauma crew , rescue and firefighter should be given a "special permit" to carry on duty, anywhere their job takes them. But I think that should also extend to every law abiding citizen anyway.

jmo

surv

Quote Originally Posted by mp45fan View Post
    I too have brought up this question to my Cheif. He says he is cool with it but the service will not allow it. We are a county serivce and go to many of the worst areas of town, we are always there before the police and sometimes if feels as if the police "clear" us to enter to short out things for them before they get there. We had one night when a pshy pt tried to jump out the back doors, pulled a knife on us and was chasing me and my partner. We called for PD three times before they answered our cry for help. That next day I bought a vest and wear it all the time now. Most of us are pro gun and most of us have our CHL. The boss man says okay but the ones in the office behind the desk say no. I fulling understand. Even our police ask us why we don't carry. Makes no sense to me. Sad to think, but it will take one of our medics getting really hurt our killed to get the rules changed around here.
    Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but then again...I'm usually in the minority here. Do up a pro vs con list. When you get around to Life/Staying alive which category do you put it in? Is it a pro or a con? When you figure that out, you'll have your answer. There are those here that will always say always follow the rules, but what do you do when the rules tell you to roll over and die?

You really have a number of choices.
    • Carry anyway and don't get caught.
    • Carry anyway and maybe get caught and probably fired, and possibly end up in jail, but maybe keep yourself alive a few more nights.
    • Don't carry and maybe survive or maybe not.
    • Find a new job that has no problem with your concept of self preservation

Also something to think about...If I remember right, the average bulletproof vests don't usually protect against stab wounds, but supposedly do well against slashes. The nature of the design of a knife means it can and does end up getting through kevlar while stabbing etc...(especially on the lighter more concealable versions) unless you've got one of the ones with the inserts just for stab resistance.

edit: a quickie google search turns this gem up:
    http://www.bulletproofme.com/Stab-Re...e-Levels.shtml
    Last edited by packinnova; September 2nd, 2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: google.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    How about carrying in an EMS waist pack?

Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I guess the real question is: does it say anywhere in an employment manual or company policy that employees are barred from carrying or bringing guns to work?

If not, then don't ask the question, just do it (granted this is a risk, but if there is no policy, then it is not prohibited, once you get your permit, do it.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    In LA, it is against the rules to carry into a residence without consent of the residents. Considering that you likely go to many residences, I don't think you want to ask someone if you can carry while you rescue each day. I like Thumper's signature though.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    How about carrying in an EMS waist pack?

Hawkepaks.com, Inc. for EMS, PPE supplies
    Might be a good options...in not illegal.

Stay armed...somehow...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

im not worried about the "legal" side so much, as every officer i have spoke with agrees every EMT or FF should carry and be POST certified. i just want my boss to have the "knowledge" even if its not direct "permission". as far as hospital, and informing pt's at residences, im not worried about the legal side when on duty. not that i EXPECT special treatment, but all the LEO's i have spoke with agree with our point of view. but i also agree with others......just trying to figure out how to professionaly bring up the subject to boss-man. if he says no, then no it is. if he says yes or "just dont let me know" when im licensed, i will carry my bersa as its smaller than the 1911 and so much easier to conceal in my cargo pocket!
    Ted Nugent

If your not breaking the law by carrying, don't ask don't tell! You don't want to risk not being able to defend yourself on another mans opinion. If you ask and he says no you alienate yourself and he will be looking. 99% of large time employers have a no weapons clause. I carry anyway because the risk of being caught is extremly low. I would have to be knocked out and searched for someone to find my pistol at work. I pocket carry a keltec and I recommend you do to if worrying about being made. My opinion is that something as personal as carrying a gun for self defense should not be discussed with your boss. It's none of his business. If there was a situation where you used it, it wouldn't matter if you had his consent(in most cases) you would be looking for another job anyway. Good luck, you do a great sevice.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    im not worried about the "legal" side so much
    Back in the late 70's and early 80's I worked part time for the sheriffs department. I was headed to New Orleans for the weekend so I asked the Sheriff if we had an agreement with the PD in NO for us to carry. He said "no but don't let that stop you; if you should have to use your sidearm the last question the investigating officer would ask you would be where did you get the gun."

The Sheriff already knew I was good at concealing my pistol, and also knew I would never use it unless my life was in jeopardy.

However, in your case, it's a little different. If you had to defend yourself, and your life was truly on the line, then the chances of the DA's office prosecuting you is worth it. What I don't like is your states requirement of notifying the owner of a residence your carrying.

If I where you, I would petition your union to get all EMS personnel to be trained and qualified to open carry a service weapon, on your weak side, cross draw style. That way it looks to civilians more defensive instead of the quick draw capabilities of carrying strong side

Just an idea.

wpk
    I work for a city fire/ems service and it has been made very clear to us that we are NOT permitted to ccw while on-duty, even if we have permits. We are not provided with vests, but I do know some guys who have gone and bought their own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links