Florida Carry Including Walt Disney World

This is a discussion on Florida Carry Including Walt Disney World within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know I could search, but want fresh comments that I know are up-to-date, so help me out please. I have a FL non-resident permit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Carry Including Walt Disney World

Florida Carry Including Walt Disney World

I know I could search, but want fresh comments that I know are up-to-date, so help me out please.

I have a FL non-resident permit and will be travelling to Orlando area in October. We'll be visiting Walt Disney World (WDW) while we're there.

I've reviewed the restrictions again, and the one that concerns me is the prohibition of carry where alcohol is consumed. Is there a "qualifier" to that...% of revenue from alcohol, or anything similar? Or, is it any establishment that serves alcohol on the premises?

My main concerns are in/around the hotel as well as travel to local stores/restaurants (we'll not be on Disney property). However, the question of carry at WDW comes to mind. When I was last there, bags, backpacks, etc were searched, but I don't remember if there were postings or any body patting for firearms. Please enlighten me about the current status at WDW in terms of carry.

Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    I know I could search, but want fresh comments that I know are up-to-date, so help me out please.

I have a FL non-resident permit and will be travelling to Orlando area in October. We'll be visiting Walt Disney World (WDW) while we're there.

I've reviewed the restrictions again, and the one that concerns me is the prohibition of carry where alcohol is consumed. Is there a qualifier to that...% of revenue from alcohol?
    My main concerns are in/around the hotel as well as travel to local stores/restaurants (we'll not be on Disney property).
    There is no restriction based on the % of sales from alcohol. Fortunately, Florida doesn't expect you to be an accountant to carry a firearm.

What there is, however, is a prohibition against carrying a firearm in the section of a restaurant that is primarily focused on service alcohol.

So, for instance, you can go to Outback and sit at a table and eat while carrying, but you cannot enter the immediate area of the bar at any time while armed.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    However, the question of carry at WDW comes to mind. When I was last there, bags, backpacks, etc were searched, but I don't remember if there were postings or any body patting for firearms. Please enlighten me about the current status at WDW in terms of carry.

There are bag searches, which are mostly cursory. No metal detectors / wands / pat downs going on. Disney prefers that you not carry in the parks, and they will ask you to leave if you are discovered.

One thing to bear in mind in the parks, though, is the rarity of solid backstops. Most of what looks like a stone wall is really just a thin fiberglass panel over a metal structure, with a few thousand people on the other side. Miss, or have a round over-penetrate, and the chances are extremely high that you will hit a bystander.

Matt

Thanks for your input.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The way my CWP instructor explained it to me was, when entering a facility whos primary purpose is the sale of liquor, it is prohibited. So Outbacks bar area is okay, since the business is a restaurant. So, Bars, Sportsbars and Dance clubs would be a no-go. But Restaurants with a full bar would be ok.

I've been told that you can NEAR a bar, but if you are where a bartender can HAND you a drink (i.e. sitting at the bar, or standing right up at the bar) then you are in a no-carry area. I guess the best course of action is to call a 2A attorney.

WDW is VERY anti gun, so I'd not take it in there.

This is a bit of a grey area in Florida. As stated above the rules do not set forth a limit on amount of alcohol served or anyhting like that and as stated above they do restrict any part of an establishment primarily used for that purpose (i.e. Alcohol). In my small town I tend to play pretty loose with these rules, and tend to think along the lines of concealed is concealed. For example, the wife and I frequent a sports bar for dinner, I will sit at a table in the bar area, but will not sit at the bar. In Orlando, I would probably avoid the bar area all together as it could get pretty messy if you were spotted. I would however feel fine eating in the above mentioned Outback as long as I was not in the little bar area. Just ask for a window seat and most people will not question you as to why

As for the mouse house, you take your chances there. They do post I believe, but in Florida the signs don't mean much, all they can do is ask you to leave and charge you with trespass if you do not comply. But in all honesty they will most likely ask you not to return even if you disarm. Those tickets cost an arm and a leg, and I imagine the family would be pretty upset if their visit to the happiest place on earth was cut short because dad had to carry.

From what I have heard, and witnessed (I used to do contract work for Disney) Micky does not BS when it comes to security, they tend to be pretty forceful about enforcment of their rules there, and if spotted by another tourist, I would think that one of their dumb employees would blow the situation way out of control and I am almost positive the police would be called.

So just be smart and be careful and remember concealed means just that.

Tom

Last time I went to Disney, I looked and didn't see any "no weapons" signs. But I would advice against carry. As others mention, Disney is very much against carry (e.g. they are fighting a recent bring-your-gun-to-work law). Disney is also very good about hiding their security. So even if you don't see any obvious metal detectors and such, they may have spotters looking for people carrying.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    The way my CWP instructor explained it to me was, when entering a facility whos primary purpose is the sale of liquor, it is prohibited. So Outbacks bar area is okay, since the business is a restaurant. So, Bars, Sportsbars and Dance clubs would be a no-go. But Restaurants with a full bar would be ok.
    FL Statute

May just be semantics but the BAR at the Ouback Restaurant is NOT OKAY.

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place ... any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; .... Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Quote Originally Posted by ecnovaec View Post
    I've been told that you can [be] NEAR a bar, but if you are where a bartender can HAND you a drink (i.e. sitting at the bar, or standing right up at the bar) then you are in a no-carry area. I guess the best course of action is to call a 2A attorney.
    Wrong, see above.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    WDW is VERY anti gun, so I'd not take it in there.
    Leave it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscott View Post
    This is a bit of a grey area in Florida. As stated above the rules do not set forth a limit on amount of alcohol served or anyhting like that and as stated above they do restrict any part of an establishment primarily used for that purpose (i.e. Alcohol). ...I will sit at a table in the bar area, but will not sit at the bar. ... Just ask for a window seat and most people will not question you as to why
    No grey area in the Florida Statute on the alcohol for amount or carry/no carry. Why ask to sit by the window? How about "I prefer not to sit in the bar" or my favorite "nunya". The thing I dislike is when the wait staff take you to your table they seem to invariably walk through the bar, which is technically wrong.

790.157 (2) Presumption of impairment; testing methods.--
    (a) If there was at that time 0.05 percent or less by weight of alcohol in the person's blood, it shall be presumed that the person was not under the influence of alcoholic beverages to the extent that his or her normal faculties were impaired.

(b) If there was at that time in excess of 0.05 percent but less than 0.10 percent by weight of alcohol in the person's blood, such fact shall not give rise to any presumption that the person was or was not under the influence of alcoholic beverages to the extent that his or her normal faculties were impaired, but such fact may be considered with other competent evidence in determining whether the person was under the influence of alcoholic beverages to the extent that his or her normal faculties were impaired.
    So just be smart and be careful and remember concealed means just that.

Tom
    +1 on Disney
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I just got back from there last week. Bags were search (if you could call it being searched). All those without bags just walked in, not so much as a glance. I could have been walking with a rifle in my pantleg. If its on your person unless a strong wind blows your cover I don't see them ever catching you. I also looked and did not see a single posted sign.

From previous post here I here that you can tell the security at the gate and they will take you to a lockbox until you leave the park.

P.S. I here that they have lip readers at the front gate so watch what you say. lol

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
    I'm going by Jon Gutmacher's interpretation - if there is a defined bar area (i.e. seating around the bar), you cannot enter that area at any time.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tscott View Post
    This is a bit of a grey area in Florida. As stated above the rules do not set forth a limit on amount of alcohol served or anyhting like that and as stated above they do restrict any part of an establishment primarily used for that purpose (i.e. Alcohol). In my small town I tend to play pretty loose with these rules, and tend to think along the lines of concealed is concealed. For example, the wife and I frequent a sports bar for dinner, I will sit at a table in the bar area, but will not sit at the bar. In Orlando, I would probably avoid the bar area all together as it could get pretty messy if you were spotted. I would however feel fine eating in the above mentioned Outback as long as I was not in the little bar area. Just ask for a window seat and most people will not question you as to why
    Going by Gutmacher's book (Florida Firearms), the seating in the bar area is a no-go.

Matt

Just did Disney with the wife for our anniversary.

Neither of us carried, but we both made sure everyone there new how we felt :)

If you have no bags, you won't be searched. I did not see any no-gun signs, but I know they have a no-gun policy. It is probably in the fine print somewhere.

In FL, no-gun signs and policies can only be enforced via trespass law... so if you decide to carry (I would advise against it) know what to do if you are made:

Do whatever you can do to get off of Disney property as fast as you can. Don't take the monorail. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. If they try and detain you, ask them if you are free to leave, and tell them you wish to leave immediately.

I don't think its worth it though... I mean, if you are on the Aerosmith roller coaster (which is awesome) and you lose your sidearm, that would totally suck, and there'd be no chance of getting it back.

Leave your gun in a lockbox hidden in your car.

WDW no problem! I've carried there. They don't search if you don't have a bag. I pocket carried my P3AT, so no worries concealing.

Guns in Mickyville

I have lived in Orlando since 1999, and go in and out of DW. The bar issue is that if you are in a place where only booze is sold, it is off limits. Disney has only one pure bar that I know of - Gellyrolls - at Epcot.

Disney is looking for explosives, not concealed weapons. I carry all the time there.

In places where booze is sold, my rule is don't sit at the bar. We sit at tables, my wife drinks the booze, and everybody is happy.

The only limit to keep in mind is that carrying inside the terminal at MCO is illegal. Parking lots, mass transit, are all ok. The big problem I have is dealing with sweat and magazines.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Have been to the Mouse House many many times. You could take anything you want as long as it is not in a bag. You every see the video when the kids pulls guns out of everwhere. They look half ass into the searched bags. I will be carrying this Feb when I go back. Safe in the MH but parts of Orlando not so great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links