I am tired of carrying !

This is a discussion on I am tired of carrying ! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wonder if I am the only one ??? I've been carrying, every day ( well not really, I was not carrying while I had ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I am tired of carrying !

Wink I am tired of carrying !

I wonder if I am the only one ???

I've been carrying, every day ( well not really, I was not carrying while I had my back surgery ...) for over 25 years; no, I am not in L.E.

I have to dress differently, my pants are 1-2 sizes too big, even at 19 oz. that gun becomes heavy after few hours, I worry when I have to leave it in the car when I go to the courthouse, post-office ( Hey, it's been a while since we had a "post-office thread" ) and other O-L places.

I remember, at the beginning, it was a great feeling ... it's not anymore ...

BUT I cannot imagine going out without my side-arm anymore than going out without my pants ... or my AmEx card

Anybody out there feeling that way ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

You need a lighter weapon. Try a Ruger LCP .380 acp. They only weigh 9.4 oz. Either pocket carry..........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...ugerLCP001.jpg

Or, IWB...................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...ugerLCP003.jpg

carry 19oz's of mags and ammo on the weak side to balance out the weight... It'll be mo' betta!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I can certainly understand your feelings. You've been carrying for 25 years and have never seen the need to use your weapon for the purpose you carry. I have been carrying for about 5 yrs and have not needed mine either, but, with the way this world is going, it would be my luck that the day I decided to leave my 1911 at home, that's when the SHTF.

I do sometimes feel the same way you do, I just watch the nightly news and am reminded that I am the only one that will provide myself and my family with the protection we deserve.

Remember, its all about your rights as an American and you also have the right to not arm yourself. Good luck as you think through this process.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Maybe after I have carried for 25 years I will be better qualified to answer your question. Hmmmmm, 47 + 25 = 72 (2033)

Maybe the fact that you are alive after 25 years is in some way testament to the wisdom of carrying?
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Better holster and belt maybe...?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Me too, sorry state of society that we have to.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Most things that we do that are worth it are a inconvienence at one point or another. Going to get a degree, defending ourselves, defending your rights by informing public opinion, the list goes on. The question is do you still feel the need, and do you still want to exercise your right in this area?

If you don't, well remember that when society forgets about their rights and stop exercising them, we loose those rights. Just something to think about. Doesn't mean you have to carry, or don't, just that if you accept the relinquishing of those rights then maybe they won't be there when you do want them.

I hear ya!

Not to sound mean spirited, but I sometimes get a kick out of some posters who've been carrying all of 3 months saying things like, "I'll never carry anything less than a .50 Desert Eagle with 6 extra mags, a .454 Casull BUG, and at least 3 knives.....just in case".

It can be a pain to carry......literally and figuratively. I hate to admit it, but I stick my Seecamp in my back-pocket and leave the full-size edc home more than I ever would have 15 or 20 years ago. But I'm always armed nonetheless......and that will never change.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I hear ya!

Not to sound mean spirited, but I sometimes get a kick out of some posters who've been carrying all of 3 months saying things like, "I'll never carry anything less than a .50 Desert Eagle with 6 extra mags, a .454 Casull BUG, and at least 3 knives.....just in case".

It can be a pain to carry......literally and figuratively. I hate to admit it, but I stick my Seecamp in my back-pocket and leave the full-size edc home more than I ever would have 15 or 20 years ago. But I'm always armed nonetheless......and that will never change.

Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    carry 19oz's of mags and ammo on the weak side to balance out the weight... It'll be mo' betta!
    Thanks for the advice; I only have 1 mag on the weak side, maybe that's the problem

Actually, carrying did save the day (night) at least once.
    It was a few years ago, 1 am, coming back from a dressy (tux) function, on a little traveled dirt road (saved 15 miles).
    An old Camaro was stopped on the road with young female waving frantically.
    A little further down the road a car on the shoulder, not very visible. It really looked like the typical ambush.

However, my gut feeling was that the girl was not a decoy but a potential victim.
    I told my wife to cover me and went to investigate, ready to draw...
    The car was really OTS (learned later that the alternator cable had broken) and she told me that the other car had stopped just before we arrived.
    She was in tears; we took her back to her house and she couldn't thank us enough.

If we had not been armed and trained, we wouldn't have stopped (crazy but not that crazy).

If we had read in the news the next day that somebody was raped or killed there, what would have been our lives since.
    That area did not have cell coverage at that time so 911 was not an option.

That's why I carry, and will as long as I can.
    I think I can handle death, I'll have to one day, but not dishonor.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Be happy you never have had to use your gun in self-defense. Here's wishing you another 25 years of not having to use your gun. As for the discomfort, try a different holster or belt. Better yet this sounds like a great excuse to buy a new gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post

I've been carrying, every day ( well not really, I was not carrying while I had my back surgery ...) for over 25 years; no, I am not in L.E.

I have to dress differently, my pants are 1-2 sizes too big, even at 19 oz. that gun becomes heavy after few hours, I worry when I have to leave it in the car when I go to the courthouse, post-office ( Hey, it's been a while since we had a "post-office thread" ) and other O-L places.

BUT I cannot imagine going out without my side-arm anymore than going out without my pants ... or my AmEx card

Do I feel that way? No!

When it comes to CCW...you're still alive, aren't you?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post

Unfortunately, our bodies don't remain the same throughout our lives. We get bigger, smaller, stronger or weaker over time. We have to adapt to these changes. It may involve changing our apparel, the way we carry a firearm or even the firearm itself. It's just something that we have to do.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I can certainly understand your feelings. You've been carrying for 25 years and have never seen the need to use your weapon for the purpose you carry. I have been carrying for about 5 yrs and have not needed mine either, but, with the way this world is going, it would be my luck that the day I decided to leave my 1911 at home, that's when the SHTF.

I do sometimes feel the same way you do, I just watch the nightly news and am reminded that I am the only one that will provide myself and my family with the protection we deserve.

Remember, its all about your rights as an American and you also have the right to not arm yourself. Good luck as you think through this process.
    We don't want to see the need to use our firearms, but we want to be prepared. I hope I never had to draw it as long as I have a permit, but I will continue to train for it.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links