Cargo Pant Pocket Carry - Page 2

Cargo Pant Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Cargo Pant Pocket Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by damysteryman Hello all...I have been carrying my PM9 in a Desantis Superfly holster in the cargo pocket on the side of my ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cargo Pant Pocket Carry

Cargo Pants?

Quote Originally Posted by damysteryman View Post
    Hello all...I have been carrying my PM9 in a Desantis Superfly holster in the cargo pocket on the side of my shorts. It does not feel uncomfortable to me but the pistol sure does bounce around quite a bit when walking. The holster holds the pistol up right, and the trigger is well protected, but I am concerned about the few more that gentle hits that the pistol takes from my thigh by standard physical activity through out the day. The pistol moves around and is hit a whole lot more, than traditional pocket carry or IWB carry. Do any of you see any potential issues with carrying in this fashion?
    You might have to consult this gentlemen...

YouTube - Why we should have school uniforms

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I frequently wear cargo pants, and when I'm not carrying my XD 45 (or I just want the extra gun), I carry my Glock 26, in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, in my right front pocket. Carrying in that pocket, rather than one of the lower pockets, makes it easier. Carrying in the bottom pockets would just bug me, not to mention the gun not being as easily drawn as with the top pocket.

First off, Welcome Aboard..........!

......second, this is something a few of us at work are trying to address. One of my coworkers has a lawncare/landscaping business 'on the side'. Some of his properties are in the 'not so good' areas of Jacksonville, Fl. and he is now become a big proponent of carrying a BUG...........oops, a little off topic.

Anywho, he's having the same issue your describing. Cargo shorts are his everyday 'lawn care' dress and his his .380 Beretta is just small enough to 'bounce' around and his Sig is just big enough to be in the way. We're both looking at finding a "cargo pocket" carry holster. A pocket holster that's big enough to secure a sidearm in the cargo pocket.

That's something that's gonna have to be custom crafted by a knowledgable holster maker. He's really wanting to go down and see Dave at Little Bear Holsters, Little Bear Custom Holsters - Welcome to Little Bear Custom Holsters. My name is Dave Galloway and I hope I can build you the holster you want. I understand what it is like to want a really nice holster but the need outweighs wait time. I hope I can ,
    and see what he can do. Although most holster makers/crafters can work with you on this. We're looking at Little Bear because his shop is just 'down the road' and ,after talking with him on the phone, he seems to be our go to guy for this.

Call around and talk to a couple of people and see if a 'maker' can work with ya on it. May take a bit of time, but I'm thinking it'll be worth it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

you could put sticky-back velcro inside your pocket and on your holster and stick them together...
    My issue is that is the slowest form of presentation...Its slow to draw from.
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Frankly, I think one should NOT carry in the cargo pocket. Rather, carry in the inside pocket, such that the cargo pocket provides another layer of print protection. I have found a few cargo shorts, like the Columbia ones (forget the model number) where the inside pocket goes down deep behind the cargo pocket. The pocket opening is large enough to easily reach down and extract the pistol. the gun doesn't swing around, like it would in the cargo pocket. And the bulk of the cargo pocket hides the outline of the pistol. I've tried the cargo pocket carry and don't like the obvious bulky bump and propensity to bang into things.

I'm always surprised how some people carry. Cargo pant pocket carry (the pocket lower on the leg, not the front pocket) is a way I could never carry. Obviously, nothing wrong with Cargo pant pocket carry if it works for you. A slight bit off thread, so I'll stop here.

cj
    I tried the cargo pocket for about 2 minutes before reverting back to front pocket. The swinging around was just too much for me.

In general, I wouldn't be worried about an AD from impact while within the holster...it would take a pretty severe impact in line with the firing pin (basically dropping it directly on the barrel from a good height might be able to do it), and I think you'd be hard pressed to accomplish that even if you set everything up in your pockets correctly. The PM9 goes a step further and has a passive striker block which should prevent the pin from moving forward unless the trigger is pulled.

Regarding securing in cargo shorts, two ideas spring to mind.
    1) it might be possible to cut slits in the bottom of the pocket and the holster, and run an elastic band through both and around a leg to secure it as sort of a thigh holster (not any better than the other system mentioned in the thread that requires cutting the pocket open).

2) I'm wondering about a piece of kydex cut to about the pocket dimensions with a little curvature to follow your leg shape, and attaching a holster to that. It might make the swinging movement more comfortable, but I'm not sure how it would look from the outside.

Did some shopping for my 642 to pocket carry with the Mika holster. I bought different shorts including 5.11's but the best for me is the Columbia Cliff Lakes II model. They have a nice deep pocket which makes my gun a pleasure to carry. This is not the cargo pocket but a nice deep straight pocket.
    Do what I did. Go to Kohl's with your CCW and try on a pair in the dressing room and slip in your gun into the pocket and see for yourself. Shorts on sale are only $18.
    Remember it's only the Columbia Cliff Lakes II model shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Did some shopping for my 642 to pocket carry with the Mika holster. I bought different shorts including 5.11's but the best for me is the Columbia Cliff Lakes II model. They have a nice deep pocket which makes my gun a pleasure to carry. This is not the cargo pocket but a nice deep straight pocket.
    Do what I did. Go to Kohl's with your CCW and try on a pair in the dressing room and slip in your gun into the pocket and see for yourself. Shorts on sale are only $18.
    Remember it's only the Columbia Cliff Lakes II model shorts.
    Thank you all for your help...I think I will try the Columbia shorts as recommended and try to get used to true "pocket carry". If that doesnt work...I saw an awesome thread on how to make an holster out of Kydex, and I just might try to make one of my own that is big enough to fit the entire cargo pocket. If I do...I will be sure to post pics. Thanks again for all of your help!

Administrator
    I'd be far more concerned with losing the gun out of a lower pocket than comfort issues. When seated, the lower pocket opening is in a much lower position, and if you ever put your feet up... you get the idea.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Some cargo shorts come with ties that dangle down -- these are great for cargo carry. You can tighten it slightly and it will hug the gun to your leg and prevent the swinging. I do prefer front pocket carry though overall. I also have some shorts that have zippers directly ABOVE the cargo pocket -- the LCP fits nicely and the pocket is high enough that it is actually seated on my upper thigh (completely anti swing that high up). I think all these shorts are from JCPenny...

As far as accidental discharge, this is where I still *gasp* carry unchambered. Yes, yes, yes, I know, it's useless. ;-) But I still can't bring myself to pocket carry chambered. Still, having a gun is better than not having one at all.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    ...my 642 to pocket carry with the Mika holster...but the best for me...nice deep pocket which makes my gun a pleasure to carry. This is not the cargo pocket but a nice deep straight pocket....
    Same here, but Uncle Mike's pocket holster (Mika would be a good upgrade) and cargo style shorts (but I use the front pocket and not the cargo pocket).

Thumbs up Simple Solution...

No need for 'rubber bands', or a waiting period for 'breaking in'...

How about a perfect draw EVERY TIME, right from the 'first draw'?

No one is listenng...Fist...Fist...

Go to Related Links above...search out Fist...

Find the Fist kydex holster #5...NOTE the 'thumb push'...the perlect solution for keeping the holster in the pants...the only the gun comes out...the gun hugs the thigh (in the pocket)...very thin...I have several of these...see the pic's in the on how this works in the site.

You won't be sorry...a pocket holster that ALWAS works.

Stay armed...Fist kydex pocket holsters...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Fist holsters are also a nice option. I ordered a holster for my M&P because initially their wait time was not a long as some other makers and was pleasantly surprised at how nice they are.
    I just don't have a Fist or an Uncle Mike's to comment for pocket carry.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe somebody will come out with a pair of cargos that have elastic built in around the leg, to keep all your "CARGO" from swinging so much. This could have implications outside of CCW. Manufacturers are you listening????
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links