Is it worth the trouble?

This is a discussion on Is it worth the trouble? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why not get a VA permit and then a non-resident CT permit? Afterall, you spend 9+months/year in VA.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth the trouble?

Why not get a VA permit and then a non-resident CT permit? Afterall, you spend 9+months/year in VA....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

If people give into this stuff the next thing you know you'll have to prove that you've never spit on the sidewalk! I think taking a stand on principal is only rarely a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Move to a free state,they got cop jobs out the yingy yangy here
    Now that says a lot now doesn't it?

Administrator
    You have some very real and valid concerns especially your concern about having your neighbors contacted which could possibly affect your employment as a babysitter for those persons.

I would make three phone calls and voice your concerns.
    One call to the issuing authority - one call to your local Mayor - and one call to your State Attorney General.

Just a best guess on my part so don't give it any more credibility than that but, my guess is that the issuing authority is likely requesting a signed release just in order to "reserve the right" to do all of that.
    It is however extremely doubtful that they would have all of those records pulled just to issue you (and everybody else that desires one) a permit.

It's probable though that they want to be able to access one or more of those records should they deem it necessary.

It IS all overly restrictive of a citizen right to keep and bear arms in my opinion.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    If it were me, it would depend on how soon it would be before I became a police officer. At that point, it the CCW would be a moot point. If you have a long time, or you aren't confident of getting the job, then it would probably be worth it to me to go ahead and jump through the hoops.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    it is worth it in the long run
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Why not get a VA permit and then a non-resident CT permit? Afterall, you spend 9+months/year in VA....
    Yea, I just sent off for my CT non-resident, and I didn't need the character references or interview. I just had to send off fingerprints and some other paperwork just stating I'm not a felon, yada yada and that they can check the mental hospitals and see if I'm nuts.
    That's odd they're putting a resident through more hoops than a non-resident.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth87 View Post
    1. three character reference letters
    2. sign and have notarized a waiver of confidentiality.
    3. a background investigation, including a neighborhood check, employment check, and personal interview.
    4. fill out a rap sheet
    I'm very confused: 3 referance letters, I assume from 3 different people; and then they want to go to your neighbors and work and tell them that you want a gun. And then they want you to sign a letter saying that you will not tell people that you have a gun?

You might want to look at Handgunlaw.us and see what is offically required. In GA they still ask for job info and SS# neither of which is required. I didn't give either and got my CCW.

VIP Member
    3. a background investigation, including a neighborhood check, employment check, and personal interview.
    Most of us get that of one sort or another, we give them money and they do it.

Here in Arkansas we give the Arkansas State Police our prints and a check for 144.25 so they can do a crime check and also send out for an FBI background check.

Considering that a lot of my jobs have required FBI checks, drug tests, etc., I figure at this point it's no big deal. If you want the job, a CCL, whatever, you have to decide is it worth the cost?

I would also guess that if you don't show up on the crime radar, they probably aren't going to talk to your neighbors.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth87 View Post
    To top it off, I'm trying to get a job as a Police Officer right now.
    You will be giving all that info and more to become a Police Officer. So if there is nothing to hide.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

My town in CT had similar requirements, but I didn't worry too much about it. The police don't have time to go talking to your neighbors or your employer. I think they make it difficult and put in "scare tactics" to weed out the riff-raff. The waiver is probably so they can dig a little deeper if you raise any red flags.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll probably give them what they want. I have absolutely nothing at all to hide anyway, I just don't really like the idea of giving them all of that, when legally I shouldn't have to. But doing so will allow me to carry, and definitely won't hurt me as I apply for Police jobs, which I'm in the process of doing right now.

If you have any reservations about the checking done before you are issued a permit to carry, be forewarned that it is nothing compared to what will take place when you apply for a position with the police department.

Best of luck in your endeavors and keep safe.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    This seems like the best response. I, personally, wouldn't jump through all those hoops, especially signing aware my rights to non-disclosure.

In VA, the process is very easy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links