Is it worth the trouble?

This is a discussion on Is it worth the trouble? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It hurts to not have liberty, doesn't it?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it worth the trouble?

It hurts to not have liberty, doesn't it?
    "We have it in our power to begin the world over again." - Thomas Paine

My public PGP key

2. Remove Ads

I would complete everything just to spite them. I know it's frustrating although that is just me. I want something, I go after it.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

I have a non-resident CT permit and didn't have to go through all that. If it is not required by law tell them to kiss off I say. Most of the time I find that if they press it a simple letter from an attorney telling them to follow the law or be sued gets them to change their mind quickly and does not cost you a lot. It is well worth it in my opinion, they just can't make up rules that go beyond what the law requires whenever they feel like it. Does CT have Preemption Law? If they do as I suspect towns cannot make laws more restrictive than state law, period. Fight this I say. They do it because they think they can scare people into doing what they want, not what the law requires.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; September 5th, 2008 at 10:40 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

You could always move to a state that doesn't have all those silly hoops to jump through :)

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth87 View Post
    I just took the required NRA class in CT to get my permit. (My instructor is probably on this forum!) I immediately went to the town Police Dept to get the application. In addition to a birth certificate, letter showing I took the NRA class, and application (which are the only things I need according to state law), the town "requests" several things from me:

1. three character reference letters
    2. sign and have notarized a waiver of confidentiality.
    3. a background investigation, including a neighborhood check, employment check, and personal interview.
    4. fill out a rap sheet

I'm okay with the reference letters. I don't really feel comfortable filling out the waiver. The investigation seems like too much, checking with the neighbors and all, and I don't want to do the rap sheet.

I'm guessing if all that I hand in is what's required by the state, I'll wind up having to appeal. So do you think it's all worth it? I'd like to have my permit asap, but I don't want my rights infringed upon either.

To top it off, I'm trying to get a job as a Police Officer right now. I was told that if I end up having to appeal, it won't affect my job search though.

Any opinions are appreciated. What would you do? Just give them what they want, or fight for what's right? Thank you!
    A small price to pay to protect your 2A rights. Is it worth it? I say it is. I wouldn't even think twice about it. Do you really think they're going to find out something about you that they don't know already? They know all about you already. They know what how old you are, where you live, what kind of car you drive, how much money you make, how much you have in the bank and what your debts are. Information on the computer is easy to get.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

If you become a police officer you may not need the permit. Have you checked into this?
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

VIP Member
    What, no polygraph?

All I can say is SHEESH! Oh, and yes, it is worth it once it's all said and done.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I think that in Colorado we do the same but on one form. The waiver is so they can do a background check. I think all my jobs have required the same waiver. We get the usual prints made and sent into the FBI for both my Colorado and my NON-res FL permit.

Wait till you get a government job or join the military and they do a real investigation on you. They'll ask some really strange questions to your neighbors.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I would contact the CT state pro-gun org and ask for some advice. It might be to contact on of their recommended attorneys.

Sounds like they are only 1 step away from demanding a witnessed urine sample and DNA samples!

CT has an odd law enticing people to report their neighbors with guns and they can legally confiscate them if that is done. Don't know all the details, but it's scary.

I wouldn't be signing any waivers unless a gun attorney recommended it.

The idea of visiting your neighbors and employers is another bad scene and I do believe that they would do this. If so, the outcome in your neighborhood and work could lead to lots of problems.

When they are investigating you to become a PO, they will indeed do that stuff, but people's perceptions of a PO (with a gun) are TOTALLY DIFFERENT than mere civilians with guns. I know, I've seen the expression and reaction of a neighbor when he learned that I owned guns . . . and it changed totally when I told him I was a PO (in the same conversation).

Professional advice here is best.

Second best is get a NR CT permit and avoid the BS completely.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    If you become a police officer you may not need the permit. Have you checked into this?
    Yeah, but I don't know how long it'll be until I get a job. I know of a few people with degrees that have been searching for a job for over a year. On the other hand, being female I'm a minority, so I have an (unfair) advantage. Still, I want to carry asap.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    I would contact the CT state pro-gun org and ask for some advice. It might be to contact on of their recommended attorneys.

Sounds like they are only 1 step away from demanding a witnessed urine sample and DNA samples!

CT has an odd law enticing people to report their neighbors with guns and they can legally confiscate them if that is done. Don't know all the details, but it's scary.

I wouldn't be signing any waivers unless a gun attorney recommended it.

The idea of visiting your neighbors and employers is another bad scene and I do believe that they would do this. If so, the outcome in your neighborhood and work could lead to lots of problems.

When they are investigating you to become a PO, they will indeed do that stuff, but people's perceptions of a PO (with a gun) are TOTALLY DIFFERENT than mere civilians with guns. I know, I've seen the expression and reaction of a neighbor when he learned that I owned guns . . . and it changed totally when I told him I was a PO (in the same conversation).

Professional advice here is best.

Second best is get a NR CT permit and avoid the BS completely.

Good luck, whatever you do.
    Wow, that is a scary law! I'm definitely going to look into that.

Yeah, I'm just trying to get all the opinions I can. I'll look into the CT pro-gun site. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Here's some info I posted on a regional forum a few years ago. Didn't check to see if it is still current or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth87 View Post
    sign and have notarized a waiver of confidentiality.
    I think the waiver is ok. This type of inquiry may uncover tools like that one who lost it at Virginia Tech. I am a fan of privacy but I don't mind the extra hoops, I don't have skeletons in my closet so I figure what's the big deal. Maybe I'm gullable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links