Is it worth the trouble?

Is it worth the trouble?

This is a discussion on Is it worth the trouble? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took the required NRA class in CT to get my permit. (My instructor is probably on this forum!) I immediately went to the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth the trouble?

Is it worth the trouble?

I just took the required NRA class in CT to get my permit. (My instructor is probably on this forum!) I immediately went to the town Police Dept to get the application. In addition to a birth certificate, letter showing I took the NRA class, and application (which are the only things I need according to state law), the town "requests" several things from me:

1. three character reference letters
    2. sign and have notarized a waiver of confidentiality.
    3. a background investigation, including a neighborhood check, employment check, and personal interview.
    4. fill out a rap sheet

I'm okay with the reference letters. I don't really feel comfortable filling out the waiver. The investigation seems like too much, checking with the neighbors and all, and I don't want to do the rap sheet.

I'm guessing if all that I hand in is what's required by the state, I'll wind up having to appeal. So do you think it's all worth it? I'd like to have my permit asap, but I don't want my rights infringed upon either.

To top it off, I'm trying to get a job as a Police Officer right now. I was told that if I end up having to appeal, it won't affect my job search though.

Any opinions are appreciated. What would you do? Just give them what they want, or fight for what's right? Thank you!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Good grief.

Only you can decide if it's worth it, but that is a heck of a lot hoops to jump through.

They won't play, give'm what they want, it's worth it in long run & less time wasted.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like a good case for a lawyer to take up with VA gun rights groups backing you. Why all the extra steps?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sheeeeeesh...some of the cops wouldn't pass that check...

I agree with another poster who advised that you jump through the hoops...it will be worth it.

Stay armed...try to avoid ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

1) Three character reference letters

NBD

2) Sign and have notarized a waiver of confidentiality.

WHAT! I need details on that. If it is putting your name on a public list of CC, I guess that is a hoop you have to jump through. Hopefully it is just public record but requires something more than an inquiry to figure out who carries in your town.

3) A background investigation, including a neighborhood check, employment check, and personal interview.

Just more hoops. I wonder what the employment check is about. Could this cause problems for you at work? What if a person is unemployed, is the 2nd put on hold in Virginia for those without jobs? I also wonder what you neighborhood will say.

4) Fill out a rap sheet.

Ugh! Sure, I would do it.

I would suggest against the appeal if you are trying to get the job as a Police Officer. What you are told does not always equal what happens (as far as the job search).

Pick your fights. Either jump through the hoops or wait till you get a job in LE (in theory it should be easy to get a carry as an off-duty LE).

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Sounds like a good case for a lawyer to take up with VA gun rights groups backing you. Why all the extra steps?
    VA is odd. Don't they aslo have a requirement to retreat if someone enters your home?

Administrator
    Yep, some real hoops to jump through.

Your question is...Is it Worth It?

Well, if at some future point in time you REALLY NEED to have a firearm with you...and you "ain't" got one...I'd say you would look back and be thinking that it would have been worth it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ask the folks who live in a state that doesn't allow concealed carry. I'll bet that 100% would gladly jump through those hoops to get their license.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Move to a free state,they got cop jobs out the yingy yangy here
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "...if at some future point in time you REALLY NEED to have a firearm with you...and you "ain't" got one...I'd say you would look back and be thinking that it would have been worth it."
    I wish I'd written that. Excellent response, and I would agree. If it were me, I'd do their dog & pony show. Fact is, you don't really have a choice.

Thanks for all your opinions. I have to clarify, I legally live in CT. I've been going to school in VA, but it's my hometown in CT that is giving me the trouble.

As far as the waiver of confidentiality goes, I'd be authorizing the "release of any medical records, education records, arrest, conviction, and fingerprint records, and employment, personnel records, police application background investigations, and results of any tests, including but not limited to polygraph examination."

I actually am unemployed at the moment, I babysit a bit, but that's it, so I have no idea how that would go. And are they planning on telling the neighbors that I want my permit to carry concealed?? How does that make any sense??

The job search is a concern for me. I just don't know what I should do...

Elizabeth87, your profile says you are in VA, but mention getting a permit in CT. This is confusing...

VA permits are issued by the circuit court in the county of which you live. You simply download the application from the VA State Police web site, take it to the clerk of courts office with either a DD-214 or other proof of firearms competency, pay 50 bucks and go to the sheriffs office for finger prints. Take the paper work back to the clerk of court and get a receipt. 45 days or before, you will get your permit in the mail. Easy.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    Elizabeth87, your profile says you are in VA, but mention getting a permit in CT. This is confusing...
    Yup, sorry about that. I've been at school in VA, but am currently searching for jobs in CT so I can move back. I've been going back and forth constantly. I'm trying to get the permit in CT.

VIP Member
    I'm not at all sure that what is being requested is legit, BUT--- CT TOWNSHIPS are little political kingdoms with tremendous power. The First Selectman and others are the boss. Power often held by county officials and state officials is wielded broadly by local officials. In a way, that is good. They are elected by the folks who know them. And town meetings are remarkably democratic.

I'd suggest that if you want the license, you play by their rules. It will be easier that way and you will eventually come out ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    1)
    I would suggest against the appeal if you are trying to get the job as a Police Officer. What you are told does not always equal what happens (as far as the job search).
    So so right...... I have a friend who is a LEO and some of the stories he tells about applicants is scary.....
    During the interview they also tell them that what they answer to questions wont count against them... Umm, yarite

Now, if you were applying for a LE job and they asked you if you had ever done drugs , and if yes, when was the last time..... Would you believe someone would seriously say a cpl of hours before I came here ??

or better than that is the one they asked if he had ever stolen anything and his reply was yes, Im the one who broke into the church last year stupppppid.....lol

As for the original question......if thats what it took to get one id do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links