Virginia Removes SC From List of States It Honors.

This is a discussion on Virginia Removes SC From List of States It Honors. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Virginia State Police have done it again. They have removed SC from the list of states they said they would honor. I have an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia Removes SC From List of States It Honors.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Virginia Removes SC From List of States It Honors.

The Virginia State Police have done it again. They have removed SC from the list of states they said they would honor. I have an email into them but am not hopeful for a quick reply. SC was listed as a state VA would honor without SC honoring theirs.

Kentucky is now listing SC as a state they have reciprocity with. This is a new listing but South Carolina has not posted a new list as of this evening. KY honors all other state permits. They just added they have an agreement signed.

I have heard through the grapevine that VA was one state that SC would be adding to their new List. I am hoping they removed SC from the list of states they would honor and made an error in not adding it to the list of states they have agreements with. Time will tell but I just wanted to warn all those residents of SC that VA is not listing your state as one they will honor at this time. Lets hope it changes very quickly. I don't like this moving backwards.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    that sucks

VIP Member
    As far as I'm concerned, until SC honors VA CHP, VA shouldn't honor SC permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    The Virginia State Police have done it again. They have removed SC from the list of states they said they would honor. I have an email into them but am not hopeful for a quick reply. SC was listed as a state VA would honor without SC honoring theirs.

Kentucky is now listing SC as a state they have reciprocity with. This is a new listing but South Carolina has not posted a new list as of this evening. KY honors all other state permits. They just added they have an agreement signed.

I have heard through the grapevine that VA was one state that SC would be adding to their new List. I am hoping they removed SC from the list of states they would honor and made an error in not adding it to the list of states they have agreements with. Time will tell but I just wanted to warn all those residents of SC that VA is not listing your state as one they will honor at this time. Lets hope it changes very quickly. I don't like this moving backwards.
    It's probably the same mix up as before with Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    ...Time will tell but I just wanted to warn all those residents of SC that VA is not listing your state as one they will honor at this time. Lets hope it changes very quickly. I don't like this moving backwards.
    Moving backwards? VA honored SC's permits for YEARS without being extended the same courtesy. It isn't moving backwards for me - I'm as unwelcome in SC, today, as I was, yesterday. If it is moving backwards for SC, then SC has no one but itself to blame.

If instead reciprocity has been worked out, then I'm sure the lists will be corrected, and that will be great.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

SC is the only SE state that doesn't have reciprocity with GA, so that has been a pain when I have to travel there. I've still carried in the car and kept it in the hotel room with me, but don't carry on my person.

Why are they so difficult with some states? No reciprocity for neighboring GA, AL, FL, and MS, but yet have reciprocity with the rest of the south and midwest.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    This may be a way that Virginia is getting their foot in the door in South Carolina. useing it as leverage

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    that sucks
    Tell me about it...a Floridian here, waiting for reciprocity...then I'll spend my $$$ in SC.

Stay armed...don't take your wallet to SC, yet...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    According to the info Phil V. received from the VSP it is because VA discovered that SC really doesn't have 27/7 verification for permit status. Relevant part of Phil's email below...

Tom Lambert, with the Virginia State Police, just sent me an update on Virginia's reciprocity status with several other states. I want to thank Tom for his professionalism and his diligent work to setup reciprocity with as many states as possible. The rant that follows has nothing to do with Tom - I want to make that perfectly clear.

As I looked at Tom's latest update, one glaring problem jumps out at me: the Virginia State Police's demand that all reciprocal states have a system in place to verify the validity of their permits 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, is crushing a lot of reciprocal agreements!

The net effect is that YOU are left defenseless in many states as you travel solely because if this unnecessary requirement by YOUR state police. And many guests to this state are similarly and unnecessarily disarmed.

That is unacceptable and we need to do whatever we can to get that 24/7 requirement struck out of Virginia law.

Let me show you just how inane and how serious a problem this is.

***Virginia has JUST stopped recognizing South Carolina concealed handgun permits. ***

Why?

Because apparently South Carolina does not have the 24/7 validation capability. For years now Virginia thought they did and has been recognizing their permits! Virginia just now discovered the problem while reviewing information with South Carolina!
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post

Why are they so difficult with some states? No reciprocity for neighboring GA, AL, FL, and MS, but yet have reciprocity with the rest of the south and midwest.

Believe me, it's not because the CWP holders don't want reciprocity. I have to get a non res from NH to be able to carry in Georgia, Miss, Ala.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

In PVC's update, it said VSP wanted to be able to verify permits 24/7.....is that a desire or the law? I haven't been able to find anything in the laws that makes this a requirement.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The problem came to light when SC offered reciprocity to VA. VA started checking the SC requirements and discovered this problem. So rather than having an agreement that everyone wanted and worked to get it is all thrown out along with several other states.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I hope this changes soon.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Well, the only way for SC to fix this is to tie the CWP to DL. Then the officer's will know before they exit their vehicles. Don't understand why it matters so much. But SLED sure is draggin azz to get our new list completed.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Well here we go again... neither states "CWP" administrators seem to have our interests at heart.

SC can't seem to pass a decent reciprocity law and VA wants to be as picky about it as we are. When you got the people involved in doing this really not wanting to do it you get this nonsense.

I doubt you can expect SC to write and pass a bill establishing a 24/7 system at all for one state wanting it. I know that some of us would try... but I doubt it will be a priority with some of the other things we need to do.

However I do expect SC should accept VA because there is nothing in our law that says the other has to accept ours in order for us to accept theirs. At least I do not recall anything like that. I will go back and check on it though.

However I also notice that our SLED seems to be taking their own sweet time doing these and just might not bother for a while to do it. Wouldn't surprise me to see them drag their feet.

All those of you that still insist that SC's new reciprocity law was effective should start crow hunting now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links