Concealed Carry Clubs

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Clubs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It not my intention to step on any creative thinking. For me your idea would not work as I keep my status as a legal ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Clubs

Administrator
    It not my intention to step on any creative thinking.
    For me your idea would not work as I keep my status as a legal Concealed Carry Citizen out of the realm of other people. In the real world...I keep my carry condition to myself.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

I read the topic title and thought this was about concealed carry clubs! (i.e. billy clubs!)
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Don't think it would work at my club, But...

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders
    I have been thinking of something along the lines of this... there are groups at many (if not most) gun clubs that meet and deal with particular gun types or disciplines, like pistols, shotguns, target shooting, black powder, cowboy action shooting, etc. What I'm considering is starting a group at our local club for people who carry or are considering it and would like to talk with others who already do. It would deal with the same things we discuss here, like weapons, training, equipment, legal issues and so forth.

I have mentioned it to several members but they seem a bit leery about having others know who carries a concealed weapon. To me, a gun range/club seems the perfect place to have CC discussions, practice sessions, to check out other CCL holders equipment and compare notes. Still the club officers don't seem too interested in my idea or allowing the use of the clubs facilities for it.

Does anyone here belong to or know of such groups and what were some of the arguments for and against it.
    It would be nice to be able to get together with CCW people in my area to talk once in awhile. I don't worry so much about anonymity as I have been in the local papers from time to time being quoted on the subject of CC. I don't think the bad guys can read and I've never had a problem. At gun clubs you have folks interested in all aspects of firearms and shooting. I tend to be the go to guy for CC questions at my club.

I do from time to time have lunch or coffee with other instuctors but I was thinking of just ordinary cc people in general. I've found it hard to get people to interrupt their busy lives for a discussion.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    It would be nice to be able to get together with CCW people in my area to talk once in awhile. I don't worry so much about anonymity as I have been in the local papers from time to time being quoted on the subject of CC. I don't think the bad guys can read and I've never had a problem. At gun clubs you have folks interested in all aspects of firearms and shooting. I tend to be the go to guy for CC questions at my club.

I do from time to time have lunch or coffee with other instuctors but I was thinking of just ordinary cc people in general. I've found it hard to get people to interrupt their busy lives for a discussion.
    You pretty much described my situation, which was why I thought of starting a group for people who carry or want to know more about it. Most posters here and the "management" at our club don't seem to think much of the idea, however. Oh well, I guess it's just another idea who's time hasn't come... yet.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I recall that a little over 220 years ago, a bunch of guys got together and had an idea that many people didn't think would work very well.

Seems odd that it's still working over 220+ years later.

There's always going to be someone who might think that something is a bad idea. So what. If anyone wants to try it, go ahead. The worst that can happen is, it won't go very far. Then again, stranger things have happened.

Concealed Carry Club

I have the same idea and have had the same experence with an indoor range I belong to. They weren't to helpful, and were somewhat discouraging. I built a website that is in the works, but you can look at it to see what my idea is. go to Trigger Time Concealed Carry Club - Home Page I really want to help people get their CHL, but also to keep them trained. Most of the people that I went to the CHL class with, shoot their concealed carry gun once every 4 years, couldn't pull it from their holster in hurry if their life depended on it, and are very concerened about when to pull it or if they should pull it. I would like to help with a website and have meetings once a month and practice firing. I'm going to keep trying and see how it works out. If it doesn't go over well at the range or nobody wants to show up. I think I will keep working on the website, so people will have some resources they can have for free.

There's an "adopt a highway" sign on my way to work that says that particular stretch of highway was adopted by "MN Carry Permit Holders." FYI - the adopt a highway program in MN is where a group or individual volunteers to pick up trash for a 2 mile length twice per year.

I don't know anything at all about that particular group or what they do - aside from picking up roadside trash.

What would meeting in person offer that isn't already satisfied on the DC forum? This is my kind of "club", especially the relaxed hours and dress code. For the most part we can see where each other lives and contact through PM if we want to sort something out in person.

VIP Member
    WOW.....dug from the grave 7 years after originally posted!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    This forum is as close to a concealed carry 'club' as I want to get. It has all the benefits and none of the downsides.

Concealed carry isn't a social activity. You get a room full of people unholstering loaded guns to show each other and sooner, not later, there is going to be an unintended discharge. It will happen, it's just a matter of time. And there will always be some who just can't resist pulling out their gun to show it off. Always.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

The safety issue of showing off guns is easily remedied by clarifying that all CHL laws do apply until time to adjourn to the range.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

What is the purpose of a club? For me, it would be so like minded individuals can get together for discussion, education, and recreation. Ironically, there is a leadership development group that I meet with on occasion, and all of them wither have a CPL or are in the process of getting one. The discussion of guns, holsters, and such does come up sometimes when we are just hanging out. We even had a shooting party last summer and I have gone to the range with several of the other guys.

So in some ways, I am in a club... it is just an unofficial, unorganized, off shoot of another organization that I am.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links