Concealed Carry Clubs

Concealed Carry Clubs

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry Clubs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been thinking of something along the lines of this... there are groups at many (if not most) gun clubs that meet and deal ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Concealed Carry Clubs

Concealed Carry Clubs

I have been thinking of something along the lines of this... there are groups at many (if not most) gun clubs that meet and deal with particular gun types or disciplines, like pistols, shotguns, target shooting, black powder, cowboy action shooting, etc. What I'm considering is starting a group at our local club for people who carry or are considering it and would like to talk with others who already do. It would deal with the same things we discuss here, like weapons, training, equipment, legal issues and so forth.

I have mentioned it to several members but they seem a bit leery about having others know who carries a concealed weapon. To me, a gun range/club seems the perfect place to have CC discussions, practice sessions, to check out other CCL holders equipment and compare notes. Still the club officers don't seem too interested in my idea or allowing the use of the clubs facilities for it.

Does anyone here belong to or know of such groups and what were some of the arguments for and against it.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Lead Moderator
    I can see why Gun Clubs would be hesitant to offer facilities for use. Everyone will have a loaded gun,ans no firing line . They might want o show off their carry gun or hiolster therefore increasing the likelyhood of a ND. Not a bad idea, but I would rather just discuss things here than meet.
    Arborigine likes this.

Cool

Everybody that carries CCW is not a good guy. Some have just not been caught yet. I prefer to be a silent warrior. That is why I limit how much information a person know's about me if they are not family. I also guard against placing too much info about myself online or other wise. Thus, no pictures of me online at any time. My 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I'd be hesitant as well. I cringe when I go to the range and see some of the yahoos pulling their Glocks out of their holsters, their generally bad yet not totally unsafe range conduct, and their demeanor.
    I'd prefer to keep myself separate from those types and a CC club is just inviting those types into an aspect of my life that I would rather be kept mine.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I can see why Gun Clubs would be hesitant to offer facilities for use. Everyone will have a loaded gun,ans no firing line . They might want o show off their carry gun or hiolster therefore increasing the likelyhood of a ND. Not a bad idea, but I would rather just discuss things here than meet.
    I can understand that, I suppose. Still, it IS a gun club after all and people do bring guns there. That's it's whole purpose in being there. There would be restrictions like there are with all the other groups that meet there as to what you can do, where and when. Besides, it seemed like the officers who run the club (mostly gun shop owners who've rotated thru the same club positions for years) are applying a double standard since they allow the club house and range to be used for concealed carry training and qualification.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Well you guys have to remember the key word here: "club". Not everyone gets to join the club.

I have mixed feelings about such organizations. Where I come from, there were all sorts of clubs, and I highly disliked the fact that a few people would try to monopolize a particular area of firearms interest.

However, done properly, it could be a way for people to get educated.

Quote Originally Posted by san antone rr
    I'd be hesitant as well. I cringe when I go to the range and see some of the yahoos pulling their Glocks out of their holsters, their generally bad yet not totally unsafe range conduct, and their demeanor.
    I'd prefer to keep myself separate from those types and a CC club is just inviting those types into an aspect of my life that I would rather be kept mine.
    There's those that feel that way and membership would be voluntary. As I said in an earlier reply, there would be certain rules applied for general safety and peace of mind. Obviously, no loaded guns would be handled other than at the range, where all usual range safety regs would apply. While in the club house, guns would remain holstered unless used for demonstration purposes. If a member wants to examine another’s weapon, the usual safety rules would apply like removing the magazine or displaying an empty cylinder, no "horse play", only after the meeting is over or during a break, etc. If members want to compare guns and handle them, they can always go to a range outside after the meeting. All the rules would be written down and approved by the range officials before the club is approved. For now, I'm just using basic common sense as a guideline.

For some reason, safety seems a real concern. My view is this IS a gun range that people bring and carry guns to every day. The vast majority have little or no "official" firearms training unless they spent time in the military or as LEO's of some sort and there are no security or background checks for members. On the other hand, every person who has a CC license (at least in Texas) has gone through classroom training, range safety and proficiency qualification and has passed an FBI and state police check. I think I'd feel safer around a group of CCL holders than almost anyone else. Come to think of it, that's one of the big arguments used by license holders when guns and carry are mentioned.

Again, it seems like a double standard to complain about a group of people who carry a weapon and it being unsafe, then point out how safe and trustworthy they are because of the training and police background checks to weed out the criminal element.

Most of the clubs out there, are there to help promote the sport and rights of using a gun. I think this is one fashion in which we can support our rights by becoming a member of a club that reasonably support our views. This is one reason to support the NRA becasue without them and some of the local clubs, our right to carry might be taken away.

The clubs I belong to both now and in the past had varing rules. These are the rules I prefer to live by.
    1. When there for a match, in which many guns will be handled, the range should be cold, with no gun handling except under the supervison of a range officer.
    2. Any other time, a person may be armed with a fully loaded weapon. If a person wishes to examine a weapon, then they must move to a safe area to do so and follow all the applicable rules.
    3. Clubs also provide instructions to women, youths, and anyone else who is interested in firearms. Again this helps to promote our rights.

Lead Moderator
    "Concealed Carry Club"

Just the phrase itself seems like a contradiction in terms!
    BenGoodLuck, .45acpguy and Fitch like this.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Robert - I think the club characteristics will be quite a factor and the types of folks who belong.

I teach with a team of guys at Hollidaysburg Sportsmans Club - NRA Basic Pistol and Personal Protection. The latter is naturally covering aspects of CCW for new folks to it.

Because of these courses and our stringent range discipline, clubhouse rules etc - the safety aspect is no problem - no different from running IDPA competitions. Many folks there know that guys carry - and I honestly do not feel in that environment I am giving up much of a secret.

However, the caliber of membership or visitors is IMO going to make a big difference to how well your scheme might work - yahoo's obviously are not in the least desirable! For this to work I could only really imagine a fully organized course or session - with strong representation of range safety officers - a good ratio of one per three or so attendees.

Organization should be well able to take care of safety - the paramount prerequisite. After that - well, stringent rules of conduct such that anyone not following those is out - straight out.

Finally - a session would need to have dedicated range time with no other shooters present - not always easy. At my club we are lucky in that one range area can be set aside leaving others available - usually where we do PPC.

Just thinking out loud anyways - lot of factors to consider but properly arranged and disciplined - a possible thing to run.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Maybe I should rename my suggestion of a "club" to group or organization. Luckily, ours is a very large club covering several hundred acres, with multiple pistol, rifle and shotgun ranges. Still, scheduling a time COULD be a problem particularly on weekends since most of the other groups schedule events then. I was really thinking that quite a few people have CCL's in this area and being able to discuss the problems we encounter, equipment and anything else carry related with others who do the same could be of help to everyone.

DC Founder
    I think, conceptually, your idea is a good one but in reality, I'm not sure it would work. IMO, the whole concept of carrying concealed puts most permit holders in a "private" mindset, which would keep most people from joining a club. People carry concealed weapons for very personal and private reasons. I have a number of friends that carry, but a very small number (2) that I really talk to about it seriously. There are a very limited number of people that even know about me owning this website. I believe one factor that makes this forum work so well is that people can open themselves up a bit without revealing who they are, where they live and how they really go about their business. They can bounce ideas off other members in a post with no repercussion. I believe all of this would cause such a group struggle, but I might be be wrong.

Maybe try it out with a pretty tight group of people and see how it goes. Honestly, I had doubts about this forum when I started it since there really are no other forums focused on concealed carry. If you look at our membership numbers versus some of the general gun forums you will get an idea of just how narrow the audience really is.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it works out.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    I have heard of too many ND's on a professional level in my areas LE dept.'s to have too much faith in proper and safe handling of fiearms to ever trust a group to handle weapons around me. Rangs have strict rules for a reason. Also , as said previously CC is a private thing. This forum keeps things anonymous.

Well, the club I belong to has a strict "No Holsters" policy anywhere on the premises. When a new member asked "What about people who have a CHL?", the reply was "The first word in CHL is CONCEALED" - so I doubt I could get any sort of dedicated CCW group started here...
    Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I think, conceptually, your idea is a good one but in reality, I'm not sure it would work. IMO, the whole concept of carrying concealed puts most permit holders in a "private" mindset, which would keep most people from joining a club. People carry concealed weapons for very personal and private reasons. I have a number of friends that carry, but a very small number (2) that I really talk to about it seriously. There are a very limited number of people that even know about me owning this website. I believe one factor that makes this forum work so well is that people can open themselves up a bit without revealing who they are, where they live and how they really go about their business. They can bounce ideas off other members in a post with no repercussion. I believe all of this would cause such a group struggle, but I might be be wrong.

Maybe try it out with a pretty tight group of people and see how it goes. Honestly, I had doubts about this forum when I started it since there really are no other forums focused on concealed carry. If you look at our membership numbers versus some of the general gun forums you will get an idea of just how narrow the audience really is.

If you decide to try it, let us know how it works out.

My idea of a CC group at our local range would pretty much parallel what happens here, only on a face to face basis with the individuals having a "hands on" ability. Anyway, it was a thought, especially with CC becoming more common and more states allowing it every year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links