Can you carry concealed on Corp of Engineers Lakes

This is a discussion on Can you carry concealed on Corp of Engineers Lakes within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read where you can't CC on Corp of Engineers property. Does that mean lakes controlled by the Corp or just the office and maintenance ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you carry concealed on Corp of Engineers Lakes

I've read where you can't CC on Corp of Engineers property. Does that mean lakes controlled by the Corp or just the office and maintenance buildings/grounds on Corp projects? I'm heading for MO fishing soon and would like an opinion from the folks who know. I often night fish, returning in the wee hours of the morning and I'm the only one at the boat ramp. I really would like my friend with me and not locked in the car. I prefer not to open carry. What do you think?

They are a federal agency managing federal lands...

"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers provides over 30 percent of the recreational opportunities on Federal lands. The Corps is the largest provider of water-based recreation..."

GORP - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Recreation Areas

No you many not carry there.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Depends on your state laws. In MN, we can carry on National Forests, State Forests, Indian lands, DNR land/rivers/lakes, Corp Dams and rec sites and state parks.

Check your state laws first.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

No, you can not carry on Corps lakes.

Depending on the area, you may be able to carry around Corps property if it is being used by the state as a state park, according to your state. On the lake itself is a big no, no though.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    We dont have any problems with it here. There are a few buildings (visitors centers) that are posted on Corps property, but thats about it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The People's land, used by the People ... and yet, off-limits. Strange concept, one for which we'll be analyzed harshly in future, as a claimant to a "free" society. Anyway ...

The COE built the levees around New Orleans. Can't carry there, too, merely because the COE built it, since it's a past or present COE development and the body of water behind the levees is thus a COE waterworks, right? Imagine the built-up earthen/cement works holding back the tides, all around the coastline of the USA. I suppose that makes the Atlantic, Pacific and Caribbean all COE controlled bodies of water, by this logic. Ah, me. Silly beyond measure, to my way of thinking. Anyway ...

According to the COE, US Title 36, Ch. 111, Section 327 states it's illegal to carry on such COE waterworks. CLICK for link. Sections 327.0 and 327.13 seem to be the applicable code.

Title 36 -- Parks, Forests, and Public Property

CHAPTER 111 -- U.S. ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS

PART 327--RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING PUBLIC USE OF WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS ADMINISTERED BY THE CHIEF OF ENGINEERS

327.0 Applicability.

The regulations covered in this part 327 shall be applicable to water resources development projects, completed or under construction, administered by the Chief of Engineers, and to those portions of jointly administered water resources development projects which are under the administrative jurisdiction of the Chief of Engineers. ALL OTHER FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS REMAIN IN FULL FORCE AND EFFECT WHERE APPLICABLE TO THOSE WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS.

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.

(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices, bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
    (1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
    (2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
    (3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
    (4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    (b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the District Commander.
    It would seem that any self-defense situation by definition automatically becomes an "authorized shooting range," but you'd still be a bad little boy/girl for possessing the dang thing. Hmph. Use a firearm to defend yourself, get jailed by bureaucrats for a Title 36 infraction. Contemptuous.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    You can here at least at the corp. lake near my house. I stopped and read one of the signs they had posted and it said no weapons unless valid CCW permit.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Odd that you asked at this time.

Just last week I posed the very same question to the COE Ranger here. The answer was,"I'm not sure, but I dont see where you would be in any sort of violation if you have a CCW.It might be better if you checked with the main office".

My property ajoins the COE here on Barkley Lake and I regularly shoot into my woodpile located right on the line with no problems...........YET!

I have to agree with "Hot Guns".. I also live on a large Corps lake, in Arkansas. Surrounded on three sides by Corps land. Since it is legal to hunt on Corps land, as many deer huntes, do come in by boat, and walk the shoreline timber, and it was ruled you can carry concealed last year by the Fish & Game??? Not sure who made this ruling. Thus IMHO, it's legal, at least in Arkansas.

Coffeecup, your situation is different. You are standing on your own land. I too do much the same. But don't cut a tree on Corp ground. Several years ago, I know of an instance where a (must have been a newbie) hunter, came in by boat, found a spot he liked, cleared a large area around a nice tree, then installed his brand new tree stand. The Corps or Fish & Game, investigated, confiscated the stand, and hung a Ziplock bag on the tree telling him he could have his tree stand back by calling a phone number. But, what was really in store for this person, was a $500 fine for EACH tree he had cut,or trimmed. Don't know if he ever took up their offer to retreive his stand.

After reading the link provided by CCW9MM it appears that it is illegal. I will stop by the Corp office when I get there and see what they have to say about the situation and ask if they can provide me with something in writing.
    Thanks all for the information!

I am pretty sure Lake Lanier N of Atlanta is just managed by the Army Corp. I am not sure how many other lakes fall into that category.

Senior Moderator
    Must be a state thing.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Ya here at Fairy stone it is legal which is corp owned.

(sarcasim on) Look at it this way, if confronted by an armed bad guy, at least he too will be in trouble for having a firearm on COE property. (sarcasim off)
    "Brains before Bullets"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links