Gun Show

Gun Show

This is a discussion on Gun Show within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm a NY resident and permit holder. I'm going to a gun show today and a friend told me that we are permitted to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gun Show

Gun Show

Hi,
    I'm a NY resident and permit holder.

I'm going to a gun show today and a friend told me that we are permitted to purchase and take delivery of a pistol at the show. The current standard in NY is to purchase the firearm, have your permit amended/registered by the county clerk's office and approved by the county judge...whole process takes about 1-2 weeks.

Does anyone here know if this is true or is my friend mistaken?

Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I too live in NY and in my county (Erie) it only requires that before taking delivery of the handgun it must first be put on your permit at the Pistol Permit Clerks office and then they issue you a coupon that you have to give to the store/seller. If I hurry I could go to the store, pick out a new friend, pay for it, head over to county hall and pay $5 to have gun added to the permit, get my coupon, return to the store and trade my coupon for the gun and have my new friend at home in about 1 hour.

What county do you live in?

You didn't say what county you were in, but I believe that this is true for almost all counties in NY (except NYC):

You need to get the serial number and bill of sale from the seller, then go to the local pistol unit (sheriff, clerk, ertc.), get it attached to your permit and get a coupon from them, then bring the coupon back to the seller, and pick up your gun.

If anyone knows of any different procedure in NY, I would love to hear about it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I live in Putnam. The coupon is issued after the judge signs off on it and then the pistol gets added to your permit. After that, you can pick it up from the seller.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I live in Putnam. The coupon is issued after the judge signs off on it and then the pistol gets added to your permit. After that, you can pick it up from the seller.
    Is that for just the first pistol, or additional ones? In Ulster County, the judge sign off for the initial one. Then it's "easy" after that. The coupon we get in Ulster County has the judge's "stamp" on it, which they do right at the sheriff's office. Of course, you still need to do the federal paperwork too!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Hmmmm. I thought Erie county was a PITA.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    You poor people of NY. I can't image going through all that hassle to buy a firearm ! Where I live we just do federal paper work and your on your way.I suppose when in live in an anti state you do what you got to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Is that for just the first pistol, or additional ones? In Ulster County, the judge sign off for the initial one. Then it's easy after that. The coupon we get in Ulster County has the judge's "stamp" on it, which they do right at the sheriff's office.
    Same here. For my "unrestricted" permit I had to meet with the judge one time for my interview. After that it is a simple process to get a new gun anytime I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    You poor people of NY. I can't image going through all that hassle to buy a firearm ! Where I live we just do federal paper work and your on your way.I suppose when in live in an anti state you do what you got to do.
    Exactly right my good man. The democrats and the libs (sometimes interchangeable terms elsewhere, but not in NY) have RUINED this once great state. And the nonsense we just mentioned is the tip of the NY bureaucratic iceberg.

I'm in FL, where we don't have to deal with any of that silliness if we have our CWFL. They just make the background check call, I fork over my dough, and away I go.

Since this reply is for the poor folks stuck in NY, does my reply count as a flame?

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Actually, it's only the first one that's the hassle. Additional pistols take an extra step, yes, but it's relatively easy, as long as it's not a long drive to the sheriff's office.

But that first one can take up to four months or longer!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

You are given a coupon w/ the first purchase without any waiting period...subsequent purchases have to go through the 1-2 week process.

I have an appointment scheduled w/ the judge to have my 'restriction' lifted.

Will future purchases be easier on an 'unrestricted' permit?

Makes me very happy to live in Souh Dakota. I got my first concealed carry permit over 20 years ago after the five minute waiting period. To buy a handgun here, we just fill out the 4473 and wait a few minutes for the paperwork to be called in.

I feel for you guys in anti-gun states and hopefully you can get more of your rights back in the future.

You are given a coupon w/ the first purchase without any waiting period...subsequent purchases have to go through the 1-2 week process.

Not sure in Putnam. In (rural) Ulster, almost all permits are unrestricted by default, but in the more urban Putnam County, they may want to do some extra checking.

Keep us posted as to how it goes!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Erie county has a 3 tier permit structure (I will list in order of desirability)

1. Unrestricted - This allows for full unrestricted concealed carry (with the usual & typical exceptions)

2. Business Protection - This allows for concealed carry to & from place of business. No carry outside of business hours or for purposes not related to said business.

3. Hunting & Target - This permit class allows for lawful ownership of handguns but not for CCW. Since hunting with a pistol is, as far as I know, not allowed in my area, this permit requires that your weapons and ammo be locked in separate containers until you get to your range or "hunting grounds".

As I have said before, I had my "Business Protection" permit for over 2 years before I was issued my "Unrestricted" permit.

Wayne County amendments take around 2 weeks.

Need to fill out and have notarized and application in duplicate to the County Clerk, who sends it to a Judge. Then they send it back to the clerk, who in turns mails it back to you.
    Then you can take the amendment to the dealer and do the background check, and hopefully walk out with you new firearm.

What I don't like is a separate license for each handgun I own.

Man I have stack like you wouldn't believe, and you need to take the correct one with you that you are carrying, so if you switch up you need to be sure to have the appropriate permit on you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links