Lying during a confrontation

This is a discussion on Lying during a confrontation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I always carry strong side IWB. Running through scenarios in my head, I've thought of a few things. Say someone points a weapon at you ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lying during a confrontation

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

I always carry strong side IWB. Running through scenarios in my head, I've thought of a few things.

Say someone points a weapon at you and demands your wallet. What if you turned your strong side slightly away, said "OK, Ok, Here you go!" as you reach toward your back pocket, then draw.

Or if you're in the car, someone points a weapon at you, and you say "OK, I'm getting out! Let me undo my seatbelt!"...reach for seatbelt, then draw.

I think it could possibly lower their guard slightly, or mess up their groove.

If you did end up having to shoot, could the fact that you verbally agreed to comply have repercussions in court? Is it something worth doing, or is it better to just draw?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Moderator
    Drawing on a gun that is already pointed at you is a pretty risky move.

Otherwise, you do what you must to survive.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

True, but if it's say a knife, and you know you can get a shot off before he can lunge at you...it might buy a split second.
    -Ryan

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Lie if you have to. Promise anything. Feign illness.

Whatever it takes to be the one to go home in one piece.

Modern warfare has few rules. Do what you must to survive.....worry about other stuff later.

If you did end up having to shoot, could the fact that you verbally agreed to comply have repercussions in court? Is it something worth doing, or is it better to just draw?
    If you do things right, how would that subject ever come up? If you miss, do you think any jury is going to take the word of a criminal over yours through a court appointed attorney? I don't see it being an issue. Is a "verbal agreement" between you and a criminal legally binding?

I forget the martial arts name off hand, but my CCW instructor is also trained in it.

He demonstrated a few moves for the class. He disarmed the guy he asked up easily. My hand-eye is pretty quick so I voulnteered.

I had an advantage, seeing what he did to the first guy, so when he tried it on me I was able to swing the gun around and pull the toy / practice gun's trigger (in reality would have hit the instructor in the leg and lower body).

The instructor said I did good, but asked if he could do something a little more advanced. On the second try he demonstrated how he would follow up the initial disarm / deflection with a punch to the face or shot to my belly with a hidden IWB or pocket firearm.

So in a SD situation where a gun is to your head naturally the pulled weapon has an advantage. However...

Action is faster than reaction. I'm also mindful that hesitation kills. If you have the nerve, and more likely the training, what the OP states could be successful.

As far as lying to a BG with a gun pointing at you, don't think what you say would matter (in most jurisdications).

I'd just hand over what they want with a knife or gun inches from me if I thought it would end at that. If not, I'd do what every I had to do to win.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If you did end up having to shoot, could the fact that you verbally agreed to comply have repercussions in court?
    I couldn't imagine where you would run into a legal issue by lying to an armed robber, even in Berkley.
    And if you're in the car, consider driving away if possible.

*IF* i decided that I needed to draw and a weapon was already pointed at me, the words alone wouldn't be enough. If he were close enough, I'd say OK! OK! while simultaneously using my weak hand to redirect his weapon away from me, while simultaneously drawing my own.

I think you're on track with the micro-second advantage. But I think you need to buy even more time if possible by physically intervention (he not only has to sort out audio and visual input, but tactile input as well. Overload those senses!)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

While one would shoot to stop the threat (not to kill), it would be understandable if one was irritated with their aim if the perp was still around to offer his side of things...

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Well , IF you survived and ended up in court, you'd probably get off on a self defense plea, but then you'd have to deal that lying thing . That could get messy.

DO whatever you need to do to survive the encounter.

I wasn't so much thinking about getting in trouble for lying, but for an unjustified shooting. If you tell the perp you will comply, shoot him, and he survives, he could easily say that once you agreed to comply, he stopped threatening your life. I'm just mind rambling I guess. I'm bored. lol
    -Ryan

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    At that point you do not have the advantage . Try giving him what he wants if he is going to kill you do what you must to survive. If you carry at least you know there is a chance. Me I am hoping my wife will start to carry. 2 is better than 1
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
    Lie if you have to. Promise anything. Feign illness.

Whatever it takes to be the one to go home in one piece.
    I always liked the "faking the heart attack" lie myself.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'm super bored question 2...

If a home invader breaks into my home, and I shoot him within the means of the law...and the bullet passes through him and breaks my TV...

Can I then sue him for the blood stains on the carpet and my broken TV?
    -Ryan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links