Mission Tx cops

This is a discussion on Mission Tx cops within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend I shoot with,and today at the gun range he related an incident that happened within the last week.Last Sunday he had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mission Tx cops

Mission Tx cops

I have a friend I shoot with,and today at the gun range he related an incident that happened within the last week.Last Sunday he had taken his x-wife to dinner in a restaurant,in Tx they have to have a compliant 30.06 sign to be legal to prevent CHL carry,he was carrying his kimber in an iwb holster clipped in his pocket covered by his shirt.I guess a customer observed the bulge and figured out he was carrying,as far as Tx law he has committed no crime at this point but cops got a man with a gun call.The next thing "Mike" knows is he has a cop standing by his table telling him he needs to talk to him outside,"Mike" is a Doctor with his own private practice,After getting outside the cop asks if he's armed and mike shows his ID and CHL license,shoulda ended at that point but next thing mike knows another cop comes up behind him places a hand on his shoulderblade and tells him not to move,he then removes his gun from his concealed holster.They ask him what he's doing with a gun and he tells them he's got a permit ,they throw some kinda brandishing crap out and I'm sorry but the law is specific there were no laws broken just some arrogant cops exceeding their authority,they told him he could go back inside and eat but he couldn't carrry,illegal order he can legally carry and he was breaking no laws.So he told them no thanks he would take his business elsewhere,they saw his briefcase and asked to see it he said no,and one of the cops said he probably has a gun in it...LOL he did a glock 19,Then Mike told me I guess It's a good thing I didn't tell them about the 4 full autos I had in the trunk of my car and I laughed and said maybe you should of because after those morons confiscated them you could call the ATF and tell them how your legally owned automatic weapons were stolen by some Police Officers.IMHO as soon as he showed his CHL he should of been let go maybe with advice to try to conceal a little better but these guys were making up charges just because they think nobody is gonna question what a cop says because they are paid to enforce the law...Just not any law they feel like making up.Mike is lucky I wasn't there or I could see a picture of those two angels saying a good friend will bail you out of jail but a really good friend will be sitting in jail with you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

There is widespread ignorance among police officers of Texas CHL laws. I've encountered this before. Mike needs to go to the station (armed with a copy of the CHL law) and ask to see the training officer. Once with the training officer, Mike should explain the situation to him/her and offer the CHL codification book to the officer. I've done this. It works.

Your post was very difficult to read because it lacked paragraph breaks.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Quote Originally Posted by nuparadigm View Post
    There is widespread ignorance among police officers of Texas CHL laws. I've encountered this before. Mike needs to go to the station (armed with a copy of the CHL law) and ask to see the training officer. Once with the training officer, Mike should explain the situation to him/her and offer the CHL codification book to the officer. I've done this. It works.

Your post was very difficult to read because it lacked paragraph breaks.
    I think I fixed the writing .Actually Mike has the Chief of Polices Home phone number in his cell phone but it was midnight and he didn't want to wake him up.I told Mike he needed to call him and file a complaint.At one point my friend was a sworn Hidalgo County Deputy,and has assisted in his medical capacity on immigration raids etc.
    I just find it hard to believe the ignorance of the Officers and the blatant unlawful orders,but thanks to this forum,I have educated myself enough to know exactly what the letter of the law states.There are Police Officers who aren't interested in knowing what the law says, just their interpretation and if you don't comply will find something to arrest you for.
    (THIS IS IN NO WAY INTENDED TO ATTACK LEO'S,BUT HAS MADE ME DECIDE TO CARRY A COPY OF TX CHL LAWS IN MY CAR,I AM A FORMER LEO MYSELF.)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I'm still puzzled over the fact he was armed, AND out with his EX-wife. That's an interesting combination.

He should advise the Chief if it was City PD. Just to bring 'em up to speed on State law and posting requirements. Local PD can do some CLE and get everyone on the same page.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    He sometimes assists the cops?
    He's friendly with the Cheif?
    Get a badge!!
    These cops need a refresher course

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

As a doctor, he should be able to present himself fairly well, I'd tell him to take notes from this situation (and a restaurant employee, if possible) to the PD...speak to the head honcho...relate the experience in a calm and concerning manner. The chief wouldn't want 'rookies' roughing up the town doctor because of their ignorance of the law.

OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

i often wonder how many LEOs know about the CHL laws at all, or at least how familiar they are with them.
    is it taught to them or do they just have some pamphlet that describes it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    they need to send these clowns back to school.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    I don't think the cops are the only one that needs to be educated. The sheep that reported him needs a talkin to.

Uhmm, the cops don't need to be educated...'Mike' needs to be educated.

Per statute, "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

If 'Mike' was made as easily as it sounds, then he was not carrying under the authority of a Concealed Handgun License and needs to reconsider his method of carry.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Uhmm, the cops don't need to be educated...'Mike' needs to be educated.

Per statute, "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.

If 'Mike' was made as easily as it sounds, then he was not carrying under the authority of a Concealed Handgun License and needs to reconsider his method of carry.
    Just cause you sit down in a booth in a restaurant and your grip prints does not constitute failure to conceal,bottom line is cops should of investigated complaint and upon being presented with CHL ended it,comments made like why you got a gun are you paranoid,is somebody out to get it goes way beyond investigating a complaint

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    i often wonder how many LEOs know about the CHL laws at all, or at least how familiar they are with them.
    I'll bet that the cops that frequent this board are up on them.

is it taught to them or do they just have some pamphlet that describes it.
    Both. The code book explains it and some are discussed at various training sessions that are ongoing.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

They should have the statute book in car

I keep a copy of Jon gutmachers book florida fire arms law in my car with me always makes good reference here in florida.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Just cause you sit down in a booth in a restaurant and your grip prints does not constitute failure to conceal,bottom line is cops should of investigated complaint and upon being presented with CHL ended it,comments made like why you got a gun are you paranoid,is somebody out to get it goes way beyond investigating a complaint
    As per the above statute, if you sit down in a booth, and you are "openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person", then you are violating state statute, period. There is no further discussion needed. The gentleman broke the law by not properly concealing his side arm. He got lucky to get off with a warning.

Texas is not an open-carry state. Texas is not a marginally concealed carry state. Texas is a concealed carry state.

I have given you the definition of 'concealed carry' per Texas statute. I am not sure how there can be any confusion. A normal person could tell that Dr. Mike was carrying a gun.

Dr. Mike violated state statute. Seems pretty simple to me.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links