Renewal of CWP in Virginia - Page 2

Renewal of CWP in Virginia

This is a discussion on Renewal of CWP in Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; VA passed a law this year about updating your address on your permit, without having to renew at the same time. Not sure how that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Renewal of CWP in Virginia

VIP Member
    VA passed a law this year about updating your address on your permit, without having to renew at the same time. Not sure how that applies to your situation, but you can ask. VA permits are good until they expire no matter how many times you move.

If they require you to renew to convert is it worth it? If you want to do multiple handgun purchases you have to go to the state police to get a permit. So if it is worth it to you to not have to do that, then losing $10 to renew early may be worth it.

Your current permit should be good for the training requirement as the training cert doesn't expire and you had to show it to get the permit in the first place. When I moved back to VA I gave them my expired VA CHP and they were happy with that. I had my training cert as well, but they didn't need it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    If they require you to renew to convert is it worth it? If you want to do multiple handgun purchases you have to go to the state police to get a permit. So if it is worth it to you to not have to do that, then losing $10 to renew early may be worth it.
    True. I dont feel as though I have to justify to anyone my need for another handgun (which is what the multiple purchase form requires) and having to avoid that is worth the $$ to renew. Also, I don't want to have any trouble with an LEO questioning my address being different on my license and permit.

Your current permit should be good for the training requirement as the training cert doesn't expire and you had to show it to get the permit in the first place. When I moved back to VA I gave them my expired VA CHP and they were happy with that. I had my training cert as well, but they didn't need it.
    Thats great news!

My non-resident permit required me to get some forms notarized, give my finger-prints, and have the NRA class. I think that more than covers requirements for the resident permit.

Thanks again guys.
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I just got my first permit in Va Beach and they mailed it to me. It's supposed to be a good city and took less than two weeks to get. Now hopefully the wife's will be just as quick! Good luck!
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Red82 View Post
    I just got my first permit in Va Beach and they mailed it to me. It's supposed to be a good city and took less than two weeks to get. Now hopefully the wife's will be just as quick! Good luck!
    Yep, Virginia seems to be one of the quicker states when issuing permits.

I got my first one by mail and could certainly renew my "non-resident" permit by mail, but switching to the "resident" from "non-resident" is likely to prove a bit trickier by mail.

Congrats on your permit!
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Mine renewal came in the mail in about three weeks, no requirement to sign it anywhere but at home. By the way, I got one of the first to be issued in Newport News after shall issue was passed and I didn't have to go anywhere to sign it. Just came in the mail, I signed it and drove on.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I got a notice in the mail that mine was ready to be picked up.

After I signed it, the clerk put it in the seal press and embossed it with the city seal.

Not that it bothers me... I actually would not WANT the gov't to put a CCW with my name on it in the mail.

Heisenberg may have slept here

For anyone wonder about the non-res to resident permits, as I was, here is the breakdown:

1) You can either apply for a change of address form which would allow you to purchase as many handguns as you would like in a given month, but would not allow reciprocity with other states. I also don't really believe that most gun stores are going to accept a non-resident permit instead of a resident permit for multiple purchases.

2) You can apply for a new permit (costs $50) and get re-fingerprinted...as predicted above, you don't need to prove handgun training. Then after receiving your new permit, you must cancel the non-resident permit.

I chose option #2.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links