Renewal of CWP in Virginia

This is a discussion on Renewal of CWP in Virginia within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just renewed my permit on Friday. the window was closed, I arrived at 4:20 and the time posted was 8-4. The gal said, "we're ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renewal of CWP in Virginia

I just renewed my permit on Friday. the window was closed, I arrived at 4:20 and the time posted was 8-4. The gal said, "we're closded, what do you need?" I said I needed to renew my CWP and flashed her the completed (minus signature) form and she waved me up. Yeah for the good guys. Stroked my check, signed the form and handed her my old CWP and DL. She made copies and said it will be mailed in 4-6 weeks.

All of that to ask this:
    When I got the original CWP I had to go to the clerk of courts to sign the license in person. Now they just mail it? Does anyone understand this? I'm not complaining, the mailbox is a lot easier than the courthouse so I'm happy to have it delivered, just don't understand the new process.

There is no specific way to issue a permit...some people go to the clerk's office to pick-up...some are mailed. I received mine via mail after ~40 days (Stafford County).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

MP,

You were lucky. About 15 years ago, I went to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation to buy a Lifetime Hunting and Fishing License. Another guy pulled up about the same time I did (a couple of minutes before 4:30). When we were literally two steps from the door, some bureaucrat locked the door in our faces. Even though it wasn't yet the posted closing time (4:30), he refused to let us in.

I was at Tinker at the time, so I came back the next day on my lunch hour. The other guy had taken off work and driven over an hour to get there for the same purpose.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Huh,

Goochland Co, here, I did all mine my mail, original even, they mailed me the forms, I mailed them back, got my permit in the mail. Renewal, they mailed me the forms, I mailed them back, got my permit in the mail.

Last edited by 4my sons; September 8th, 2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Perhaps your new permit doesn't require a signature, or they copy your old signature over to it since they already have it from your original?

When you apply here in GA (whether first time or renewal), they key your info into the computer, which prints out a couple of forms -- one is the pre-filled application form that you complete and sign, and the other is the permit itself. You sign the permit right then and also apply your index fingerprint to it. Once everything comes back approved, the probate judge signs it and applies the court seal, they laminate it, and you can either pick it up or they can mail it to you.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

I got a renewal notice in the mail here in Arkansas that it would expire. I looked at my CHL it had 3 days till it expired. Here you have to fill out forms and shoot infront of an instructor then up to 120 days for new CHL. I am on day 115 NO mail yet.

VIP Member
    My original and first renewal in Henrico Co. I had to pick up at the Clerks Office. Coming up on renewal again. I hope they mail them out now. It may vary by county, just like requirement for finger prints. Glad finger prints are no longer required or an option to be determined by the county!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Got my permit back on Thursday. Applied for the renewal on the 5th, it was processed on the 16th and I got it on the 18th.

Sometimes I love the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Thank God for the pro gunners...screw the rest!...their time will arrive when the SHTF.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In SC now we can renew our permits online. Can also renew driver license online but it is good for 5 years and if you renew in person it is good for 10 years.

Chesterfield Co., original required fingerprints, in-person signature and pick-up. Renewal required in-person application, sworn statement, and will be mailed within 45 days.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I was hoping someone may have experience as this is a VA thread.

I live in Henrico (outside of Richmond) and possess a non-resident permit which I acquired while still an NJ resident going to school in Virginia. This permit is good through 2011.

I want to get my permit changed over to a resident permit as I dont want to be restricted to 1 handgun a month, and I think it would be better if my CWP matched my DL address (my current CWP still lists my NJ address).

I called the State Police today and got one of those guys who would rather tell me "I can't help you" than to tell me who could. My main concern is that I don't believe I kept my NRA class certificate to present should I have to go through the whole process again.

Do you think the county clerk at the courthouse would be able to exchange my current non-resident permit for a resident permit?

Im happy to pay for a renewal, I just don't want to jump through a bunch of hoops again.

Thanks!
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I beleive if you needed safety certificate for the original licence they will play it forward. Not an authority but not required to show certificate for resident licence renewal due to proving with the original issue. Renewal inChesterfield Co took 14 days to turn around.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    The folks who would do this would be your local County Clerk's staff. Ours are just super! I would saunter into their office at a quiet time (call to find out when is best) and ask for their advice.

Quote Originally Posted by propex View Post
    I beleive if you needed safety certificate for the original licence they will play it forward. Not an authority but not required to show certificate for resident licence renewal due to proving with the original issue. Renewal inChesterfield Co took 14 days to turn around.
    Thanks for the response! I'm not worried about renewal timing (as I have 2.5 years left), but thats good to know. I think my non-resident permit took 18 days from the time I sent my paperwork until I had my permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    The folks who would do this would be your local County Clerk's staff. Ours are just super! I would saunter into their office at a quiet time (call to find out when is best) and ask for their advice.
    Thats what the guy at State Police HQ told me after I asked a few times. He said, "I cant help you, have a good day" when I first asked and after explaining it again and asking him who would be able to help he said, "The courts".

A helpful fellow.

Looks like their hours are inside my work hours...time to sacrifice the lunch hour.
    Ten Simple Rules of Life as a Gunfighter:
    #2: Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.
    #10: Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links