Keep lube off firing pin???

This is a discussion on Keep lube off firing pin??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Someone noted & mentioned to keep the lube off the firing pin. Please tell me why this is so important. I recently cleaned & lubed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep lube off firing pin???

Member Array Angel in San Antonio's Avatar

Keep lube off firing pin???

Someone noted & mentioned to keep the lube off the firing pin. Please tell me why this is so important. I recently cleaned & lubed my gun & never have touched that area, but gold flakes were coming from it so i applied cleaner & lube down there....was that bad?

Any wise & factual comments are truly appreciated.

Angel

2. Remove Ads

What sort of pistol are we talking about? Generally speaking the firing pin or striker shouldn't be lubed, or the channel it rides in.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    i don't lube mine. Will it realy hurt it though?

Mine gets a light film just like everything else. Never had a problem. IMO, anything that has movement or wear on the OEM coating should get lubed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

lubing firing pin

I do not know if it is true or not.
    But I was taught not to lube because in cold weather the lube could become thick enough that it will not allow the pin to strike with enough force to ignite the primer.
    I do give a light coating of oil.
    Last edited by whitetrashfarm; September 8th, 2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: missed a word

I assume its to prevent dust and gunk from building up around the firing pin

I do not oil mine. If you put oil in the area where the pin rides or on the pin it can collect dust and dirt and possibly jam. Not a good thing to have happen if you are defending yourself. Not sure how how it really effects it but have had machinist tell me that oil on a spring can weaken the spring and that is not good either.

Until I see it in writing in a manual, I will keep up what I have been doing for the last 17 years.

Oil on a spring...engine valve springs, fuel injector springs, recoil spring, probably another 15 springs that I can not think of at 0330 that get an oil bath...I gotta call BS on that one.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by glocksmygun View Post
    I do not oil mine. If you put oil in the area where the pin rides or on the pin it can collect dust and dirt and possibly jam. Not a good thing to have happen if you are defending yourself. Not sure how how it really effects it but have had machinist tell me that oil on a spring can weaken the spring and that is not good either.
    I agree completly, here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

MIne get a cleaning and a small shot of powdered graphite when the mood strikes me.

I have been to three different pistol armorer's schools in which we were told not to lube the firing pin and channel, keep it dry. So much carbon and junk gets blown in there, that if mixed with lube, you can make a "gunk" that will slow or stop the firing pin and make light hits. I have seen this happen-several times with 3rd generation Smith guns. The problem is that the pin travels in a channel that is so tight to the pin, and that there isn't much of a way for "stuff" to get out. On striker fired guns, the pin may ride on a plastic part, so no lube is necessary.
    The "gold flakes" are pieces of brass scraped off the cartridge casing during cycling and blown into the FP channel. You can clean them out by taking out the FP and wiping it (and it's a good idea), but I don't spray or otherwise add liquid to the FP channel, I have seen the results at our agency-light strikes.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by glocksmygun View Post
    +1

During the 'after range quals' mass cleaning, it is always reinforced NOT to put any LUBE, or OIL on/in any firing pin or it's housing.
    A very light cleaning with CLP, then a wipe-down with a dry, lent-free cloth, removing ALL excess. We've taken to 'blowing out' the FP housings with those computer cleaning cans 'o air. It does a pretty good job too.

Oil and lube will collect and hold dirt, dust, sand (the worst), and lent.
    Very bad if that 'gunk' is collecting on your firing pin.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I oil mine , but then i detail strip and clean my pistols once in a while . Gunk does build up in the channel and can be held in place by oil building a sludge . So in summation i would say if you detail strip your pistol oil away and if you only field strip your pistol to clean then stay away from the firing pin and channel with any " wet " lube be it oil , grease , or whatever . a dry lube might work ok there tho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    When I detail strip my 1911, I always clean the firing pin bore, lube with BreakFree w/CLP and reassemble. In my experience, using a lubricant that leaves a dry film does not promote dirt or sludge and makes cleaning easier in the future. Some people are afraid to completely tear down their 1911 and this is ok too, in that case, I wouldnt oil the firing pin bore.

I'm anal about keeping my firearms well lubricated and in perfect working condition, especially my carry pieces. IMO, metal rubbing on metal needs some lubrication or parts will wear out sooner. It only makes sense for metal on metal contact. Just use a dry film type lube. YMMV.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel in San Antonio View Post
    Someone noted & mentioned to keep the lube off the firing pin. Please tell me why this is so important. I recently cleaned & lubed my gun & never have touched that area, but gold flakes were coming from it so i applied cleaner & lube down there....was that bad?

Any wise & factual comments are truly appreciated.

Angel
    Grit sticks to lube. You don't want it in the firing pin channel, where it can impede (slow) the travel of the firing pin.

"Gold flakes".....if your pistol is a GLOCK, that's perfectly normal, especially if it's new. Otherwise, it might be brass shavings from your cartridge cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links