Ohio CCW law has been updated

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW law has been updated within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by tamworth I hope you're only referencing transport in a car, because open-carry is perfectly legal otherwise. I didn't know it was legal ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ohio CCW law has been updated

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    I hope you're only referencing transport in a car, because open-carry is perfectly legal otherwise. I didn't know it was legal to open-carry without a license until about 3 or 4 months ago...!
    Yes, which is why I said "in a vehicle".

2. Remove Ads

Finally, YEA for Ohio. Now if other states will just join those states who recognize self defense as a universal right.

When applying for our CCL, my wife and I submitted all the necessary paperwork, fingerprints and money to our local Sheriff's office here in Ohio, who started our background checks. By Ohio law, Sheriffs have 45 days to process applications. Our applications are going to take all of the 45 days because early in our marriage we unfortunatily lived in Flori..duh for a couple years. Before you jump my case that I'm offending Floridians, that is the term my mother-in-law, who lives there, uses for all her fellow residents who have never quite mastered how to vote in an election.

As of Monday, day 40, our Sheriff has yet to receive a response to his requested background CCL checks from Flori...duh, at least one confirming that the applicant has no felonies or other disqualifying criteria. No concern on our part, neither my wife or I have anything to disqualify, and I don't blame our Sheriff for waiting his prescribed time just in case.

Anyone else encountered problems with background checks from states where they formerly resided? Any former residents of Ohio who now live out of state have any problems with Ohio turning around their background checks for their CCL? I have a working relationship with several LEO, their unions and their lobbyists and can at least report such. I guess if the lack of response is due to the LEO Departments' staff cutbacks, I can understand a delay, maybe even no response. I can only hope that those departments who fail to respond only fail when the applicant doesn't have a problem, but those with problems get a timely response. I can live with the 45 day wait, a little irritating but liveable.

I don't know why the LEO's need to be afraid of the law abiding armed citizen here in Ohio. When they run your license plate, they are instantly informed that you have an Ohio CHL.
    If they know that information, then they are dealing with a citizen that:
    --Have no felonies on their record
    --Have never been judged mentally incompetent
    --Have had no drug convictions
    --Have never been convicted of domestic violence
    --Have no restraining orders filed against them
    --Have been through at least some formal classroom and range training as required by the state
    --Have submitted to fingerprinting and criminal background check
    --Are under no other firearm related restrictions

We still have to inform, and I'm not sure if that actually puts officers at ease, or puts the officer on edge. I plan on being kind and courteous to the officer anyway, and I'm sure that goes a long way to calming fears of the peace officers and any citizen with a gun issue they might have.
    Ohio Rusty ><>

Baby steps... I was told by my local sherrif that he and other law enforcement officials are trying to get a Lower 48 uniformed CCW liscense.

Keep in mind in Ohio The only Law enforcement agency against the CCW was the State Highway Patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Hey Sixto, A little clarification for a neighboring non-resident?

Am i to read this as that one must notify an LEO that he has a permit, whether or not he is actually carrying? Here we only have to notify an officer that we are carrying, but not necessarily mention anything if we are not packing. Haven't ventured down there yet, but it'll happen sooner or later.
    You do not have to notify if you ARE NOT carrying a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    -Permit holders can now keep a gun hidden in a car as long as they're carrying it in a secure holster. The law previously required the gun to be in plain sight.

-Permit holders may bring a gun onto school grounds as long as they are in a car picking up or dropping off a child.

-Landlords no longer can prohibit licensed concealed weapons permit holders from having their weapons in apartments.

-Allows people without a license to carry concealed weapons in their homes as long as they aren't engaged in illegal activity.

-Decreases the penalty for failure to notify a police officer of one's permit status when stopped if the officer already received the information through a license plate check.

-Allows holders of valid liquor licenses who are also concealed weapons permit holders to carry a hidden gun on their premises.

-Includes the presumption that a resident who hurts or kills an intruder acted in self defense or in defense of another if the intruder has entered unlawfully or without permission.

I don't see one change that I disagree with, this should make life a little easier for the citizen and L.E. alike.
    You may carry in Ohio in your car, in your glove box, center console, a zipperd bag, a case that has a lid, or on your person conceald in a holster. As of 9-9-08.

CC

I will be visiting Ohio in Oct for a reunion near Cincinnati. I get really confused about CC. I see that in vehicle can be in unlocked console/glove box but can you actually wear. I would wear my SIG 239 and if stopped notify the officer that I was carrying concealed. Would that be correct? I am from Tennessee with CCW from that state.

GTHOMAS2, Yes you can wear it or "stash" it.
    I think this was meant for women that may purse carry and would be outta luck in a motor vehicle and the purse carry would not fly...that is out the window and you can carry, stash it whatever now....a better law, not perfect but its getting better.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    I am glad to see that I no longer have to wait for an intruder to hurt me or my family before I can shoot him
    True, but be careful of how you construe this. Notice it creates a presumption that you were in fear, etc., which presumption can still be rebutted.

For example, and I may be wrong here, but I would assume that if the intruder was on his way out of your house and clearly no longer posed a threat, that you could not shoot him.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Gizmo51

Sololucky, you might check The Columbus Dispatch website. It's the local paper and they published an article that detailed the changes. Perhaps the most important ones were that it is now allowed to carry in public parks, and to carry while dropping off or picking up your children from school(while staying in your car!). It is also now permissible to have a gun concealed in your car as long as it is in a secure holster, landlords may not prohibit license holders from having their weapons in their apartments, and a resident who hurts or kills an intruder is now presumed to have acted in self-defense if said intruder entered unlawfully or without permission. That may not be everything but covers the most important points.
    Regards,
    Gizmo51
    Last edited by Gizmo51; September 25th, 2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: correct URL

A better place to look for CCW ino would be Buckeye Firearms Association | Defending Your Firearm Rights
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links