Anything I can say to my son?

This is a discussion on Anything I can say to my son? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; sounds like he cannot be trusted with any firearms with other people around him. and plus he is a danger to himself. unfortunitly an accident ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anything I can say to my son?

sounds like he cannot be trusted with any firearms with other people around him. and plus he is a danger to himself. unfortunitly an accident waiting to happen

2. Remove Ads

In spite of his permit, he is not mature enough to be carrying. Either he has not had any safety training our he is totally disregarding it. Either way, he is going to hurt someone. These are not toys and he is not cool.

As far as asking him nicely, it's not about making him feel good about himself. It's about handling a firearm in a safe manner. If he were in the Marines and he handled a firearm that way, his DI would stomp the living bleep out of him.

His attitude stinks. I think he's taking advantage of you.

This is probably the most severe criticism you're gonna hear on your post. I'm sorry but that's how I feel about it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Administrator
    His attitude is the EXACT attitude that gets innocent people (usually family members or other loved ones and often little children) killed, crippled or maimed for life every single year.
    SO...if your Son truly cares about you and his Brothers then he had better cut out the funny stuff.

Personally and were I you...I would not put up with it.

and after the first time having the muzzle of a loaded semi-auto pointed at my chest by my kid......

I'd personally take that firearm down into my basement...check the chamber and the mag for empty...and break out the Arc Welder and then I would weld that slide right to the pistol frame and tack-weld the empty magazine into the frame and then I would hand it back to him with the muzzle pointed at his chest.
    And then I would tell him:
    "Here's your pistol back...now you can go point it at anybody you want to point it at."

Senior Moderator
    A few years ago two close friends were attending a Gunsite handgun course. After one of the classes, back at their motel room, for some reason they decided to unload their guns and have a quick draw contest. I've been to Gunsite for six courses and everything they teach is strictly opposed to such a thing. But, for whatever reason, these two guys did their fast draw contest which ended in one of them shooting his best friend in the chest and watching him die. They thought the guns were unloaded too.

Just something to think about.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Well. Lots of interesting responses. First, your son is 21. He's legally an adult; that puts a limit on what you can/cannot do legally. Destruction of property, interfering with mail delivery, etc., are not among those things. Verbal instruction as to what will/will not be allowed in your home, changing your locks, securing his weapon in your safe are options. It will likely be a confrontation-scenario, in any event.

My best suggestion would be getting him into a class with Michael Brown, in Tulsa. U.S. Shooting Academy Mike is old enough/young enough to be a role model, and won't put up with BS. A 4 day weekend would get you from most parts of TX to Tulsa, with a day of class.

Edit: Money on class & gas better spent than on a new firearm, etc..

I 100% Agree

Quote Originally Posted by FIS0008 View Post
    I have two adult sons who both carry. On this subject I would treat them just like I do any other adult (which they are). Immediately point out the errors and if it persists, then I would refuse to be around them in the presence of weapons. This is truly a serious matter and my guess is that you would not allow any other adult to this, so I would not let him either.
    In my Military Career there was so many accidental weapon discharge… from so called experience soldiers...When I was stationed in Landstuhl , GE we had 3 deaths that I personally seen (OR Nurse) based on negligence.

Not an advocate of violence in the home but a swift open handed smack to the back of the head from dear old dad would probably be necessary. I think the psychology texts call it negative reinforcement.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by IfIhaveto View Post
    In my Military Career there was so many accidental weapon discharge… from so called experience soldiers....
    +1

We have a couple here every year while on duty. The latest was a small group of Marines 'fast drawing' thier M9's and one of 'em got shot in the face by a sidearm that wasn't loaded...........go figure.

A ND will happen eveuntly if the behavior continues.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Sounds like he's not mature enough to be handling firearms. They are not toys and handling them is not a game.

Negligent Discharge

The guy who started this site admits to NEGLIGENTLY (not "accidentally") shooting himself with his .45 1911. He documents the injuries, his recovery, lingering issues, loss of work, etc. And he never tries to shed responsibility for the incident. He admits to screwing up and is hoping that others will learn from his experience.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    IMHO

Its totally unacceptable behavior and a total lack of respect for a firearm, childish actually. Once a bullet is fired it can never be recalled.

As a certified firearms instructor, I would not permit anyone who does not have the proper respect around a firearm to be anywhere in my presence, period. There is no room for carelessness. Safety should be a gun owners number one concern.

Sorry if I sound harsh but there will be no 2nd chance.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

can someone give me a quick run-down on whats bad about catching the bullet with the same hand that you're pulling the slide with? i do this whenever i have to disarm, i basically take the gun, turn it to the side or upside down, grab the gun by the front part of the slide and let the bullet fall into my palm. is this what you guys are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by iofdetiger View Post
    can someone give me a quick run-down on whats bad about catching the bullet with the same hand that you're pulling the slide with? i do this whenever i have to disarm, i basically take the gun, turn it to the side or upside down, grab the gun by the front part of the slide and let the bullet fall into my palm. is this what you guys are talking about?
    Nothing wrong w/doing it the way you described. That's the way I do it too.

I think what the OP was describing was pulling the slide back w/your weak hand thumb and index fingers (sling-shotting it), ejecting the round into the air and then quickly catching it in mid-air w/your weak hand. A totally 'hot-dog' maneuver.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Show him this thread and what 57 people think of his gun safety attitude. Having an attitude about gun safety tells me he's not mature enough to have a gun.

The only thing you could say to your son that would have any effect is that he is not allowed in your home if he is armed because you believe him to be unsafe. Keep it simple.

Don't try to provide proof. Don't try to convince him he is wrong. He is young. He knows everything. Tell him that you feel that way and nothing he can say can change that. If he tries to argue about how 'he knows what he is doing', then pull up any random thread about a firearm instructor having a negligent discharge.

Tell him you don't trust anybody pointing a gun at you, and that you find it extremely disrespectful that he does not respect your wishes and thoughts on the matter. Let him know that the only way you will allow him in YOUR home with a firearm is if he follows ALL 4 safety rules.

If he refuses to comply, hand him the classifieds. They have apartments to rent.

I really try to refrain from saying anything derogatory to another member, but I feel compelled to do so in this case. The fact that this is an issue at all means you failed at teaching him the basics of firearm safety and the responsibility that comes with handling and carrying a firearm.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and I truly hope that you can resolve this issue without one of you being seriously injured due to your sons unsafe handling of 'unloaded' firearms.

Very Respectfully,
    Kerb
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links