Anything I can say to my son?

This is a discussion on Anything I can say to my son? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Admittedly, I haven't read this thread all the way. But there has got to be a way to use snap-caps to teach him a lesson. ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anything I can say to my son?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Admittedly, I haven't read this thread all the way. But there has got to be a way to use snap-caps to teach him a lesson. Its not something one easily forgets and the memory sticks with from what I've been told.

I'm all for the tough-love idea along the lines of what Kerb said. I won't bother repeating what likely many others have already said better than I can.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Admittedly, I haven't read this thread all the way. But there has got to be a way to use snap-caps to teach him a lesson. Its not something one easily forgets and the memory sticks with from what I've been told.

I'm all for the tough-love idea along the lines of what Kerb said. I won't bother repeating what likely many others have already said better than I can.

I had suggested something around those lines, and I guess someone deleted that from this thread.. Must have been a bad idea if it was deleted.

Does the son buy his own ammo and weapons? If he acted that way and the father is providing the guns and weapons, then the father is a fool. I bet daddy paid for the concealed license and course too!

My guess is that there are many other issues with this 21 year old who is not mature enough to be handling guns.

Quote Originally Posted by lws380 View Post
    Does the son buy his own ammo and weapons? If he acted that way and the father is providing the guns and weapons, then the father is a fool. I bet daddy paid for the concealed license and course too!

My guess is that there are many other issues with this 21 year old who is not mature enough to be handling guns.
    Very good point.

Hang in there Gilraen - the fact that you, as a Mom, care enough about your son and his safety when he is not with you says a lot. Being "new" to gun ownership yourself also says a lot. Use the time you have between now and when your permits arrive to take a serious safety course with him. Practice safe handling methods with him, and if he still refuses to respect your authority on this issue and you feel your safety and the safety of your other children is being compromised, then do what you think is best...

There is so much good advice here, but some may not apply to your situation, take what you need and store the rest for possible future use.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Wow! Lots of advice. Thank you, everyone. And yes, I'm "Mom", not "Dad." But that's okay. Sorry I'm late in replying. I have a hurricane coming at me, and my sister is *very* sick.

There is some truth in some of the speculations posted here. But we ARE new to guns, and he got his first.

Lots of good ideas here, including letting him read the responses to this thread, and others, and getting him to the safety class I took, sitting him down and talking, laying some firmer ground rules. Kicking him out is a last resort -- for various reasons I won't go into here. I'll do it if I have to, but not before I've tried other things.

Thank you, everybody, and thank you 2AMomma.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Continuously pointing a weapon at some one can be seen as a threat - and sometimes should be treated as such... of course that may be a bit extreme with your son... but maybe he'll get the point?
    CAN be seen as a threat? IT IS A THREAT!!

Whether intended or not, pointing a gun at someone is a HUGE threat to life and limb and should be treated as such.

Some people might think that's a little harsh but we are talking about our lives here and making our lives safe. After all, isn't that why we arm ourselves in the first place?

I work in a gun store. I get guns pointed at me all the time.

It never used to bother me so much until I got pregnant. Now the thought of a gun pointing at my unborn child, a life I am responsible to protect, makes me madder than a wet hen.

I'm still polite but usually I ask them to point the gun at the floor and when polite doesn't work I just outright say, "Could you please not point that firearm at my unborn child?" with an EXTREMELY serious look on my face.

Typically, that's enough to ensure they don't do it again.

These, however, are strangers, and no one has had the guts to respond with, "Well, it's not loaded," cause they don't want to argue with me about it. Therefore, I can see how family can be more difficult. I like the advice about refusing to be around him with firearms.

When he starts to wonder why you don't want to go shooting with him or be around him with firearms you can tell him exactly why, "Because I don't want to get shot by my own son."

Pretty straight forward.

I was once at the range and shooting and I had a NASTY double feed jam but I didn't know it. I just thought it was a standard jam.

I removed the magazine of my firearm and racked the slide and to my understanding I thought the gun was empty.

I wanted to turn and get a fresh magazine anyway so I decided to put down the gun.

One of my strict range rules is that if a gun is being put down it's put down with the muzzle pointing down range and the chamber locked open.

I racked the slide to lock open the chamber and was COMPLETELY shocked to have a live cartridge fall out on me. Somehow the second round in the double feed, fed into the chamber even with the magazine removed. It was a one in a million shot but it happened and without my knowledge.

My arms and the back of my neck started to tingle.

I had violated absolutely no safety rules but just discovering that I had a loaded gun in my hand when I had thought that it was empty was enough to put the fear of God in me.

I will NEVER ASSUME a gun is empty even if I "know" the gun is empty. Even if I've checked it a thousand times.

I still shudder when I see someone accept a gun with the chamber closed or just take someone's word for it that it's empty. And even if the chamber is open it's still unacceptable.

Worse yet, I still get angry when people try to offer me guns that I can't visually check, even if they aren't pointed at me.

If they are pointed at me, you are instantly on my crap list, family or no family.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

I will NEVER ASSUME a gun is empty even if I "know" the gun is empty. Even if I've checked it a thousand times.

I still shudder when I see someone accept a gun with the chamber closed or just take someone's word for it that it's empty. And even if the chamber is open it's still unacceptable.
    Whether or not its your gun or a gun somebody hands to you, ALWAYS check first to see if the gun is loaded or not. NEVER take another persons word that the gun is not loaded. NEVER point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot. NEVER trust the safety, its a mechanical device and can fail.

Sorry if I appear to be repeating what is obvious or what others have already stated, but, this is an extremely important situation that needs to be addressed immediately. Being a firearms safety instructor, I just cant emphasize enough, the importance. Good luck with Ike, my son lives in Houston and is preparing for the worst.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

gilraen....sorry to hear about your sister. I do hope she gets better before Ike makes it your way (actually, just gets better regardless). If ya'll have to evac I'd cover some safety ground rules with the boy first. Bug out if it coming atcha, a CAT 3 storm is a threat too.......

Stay safe!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I've got a buddy who is happily a "Range Nazi". The last time I went with him some kids were playing with their AK (nothing against AK's... that just happens to be what they had - heck we had a couple with us that day)... and they kept either pointing it at us or laying it on the table pointed at us. When we yelled at them they replied, "It's not loaded."

My buddy replied, "I don't know you - don't do it again." The next time they did it, they had a rifle pointed back at them. They decided it was time to leave at that point.

Continuously pointing a weapon at some one can be seen as a threat - and sometimes should be treated as such... of course that may be a bit extreme with your son... but maybe he'll get the point?
    Being a range nazi is one thing. It's quite another to retaliate to a wrong incident by performing a similar one. That is one of the most stupid things he could have done.

I have had kids accidentally point a handgun at my at an indoor range. I told them to keep that handgun pointed downrange. The kid turned with the handgun in his hand to talk to his buddy behind him. As a result, he ended up pointing it at me. The kid listened, but I took off anyway. I don't like shooting with a lot of people around for this reason alone. I just don't know how their safety skills are.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

me
    I have not read this entire thread but since your son KNEW it was not loaded I direct you to another thread from a member here.

Click me

A few months ago at the range I had a guy come out to shoot with his wife (a novice at best) and his young son (seemed to be his first time with a hand gun). This guy was so worried about his sons actions that he never watched his wife. The first time she pointed the gun at me I told her "keep that down range", second time "Don't Point that gun at me" Each time he corrected her and reminded her of the safety rules. The Third time I said it loud enough to make a point "I said keep the gun down range and not at me." i think it embarrassed him that I had said it loud enough half of the range could hear because they packed up and left.

A gun is never unloaded but i check every gun to make sure it is unloaded; that is unless it is in my house, then i check to verify it is still loaded.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links