Gun Belt?

This is a discussion on Gun Belt? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the advise of many members of this forum I have stopped carrying Mexican style. I bought a Bianchi professional IWB holster. My question is... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Belt?

Question Gun Belt?

At the advise of many members of this forum I have stopped carrying Mexican style. I bought a Bianchi professional IWB holster. My question is... DO i need to wear a gun belt with this kind of holster? I get good retention against my body with my current belt and have had no problems so far, although it has only been 2 weeks. here is a link to a picture 100 *Professional™ I usually have the clip under my belt as it is. I am working to put myself through school so $70 or so on a gun belt is a big expense.

2. Remove Ads

A $10-20 leather belt froma Ross, WallyWorld or other discount store will do fine for IWB. The belt isn't bearing as much of the weight and so does not have to be as stiff to be secure.

Administrator
    I dont wear a gun specific belt for IWB, but I do wear a nice sturdy belt. I havent had an issue in ten+ years.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A good stiff double width leather purpose made gun belt in 1.5 inches is really tough to beat for carrying a 1911. Rafter S letaher makes one for about 55.00 shipped. Many quality gunbelts can be found on ebay and forums such as these as many a gun guy picks up weight over time.

In the nylon arena, the Original Wilderness 5 stich instructor belt is the gold standard. They make one with a plastic insert that many think is too stiff. They make a 3 stich model that many think is not stiff enough. 40.00 shipped max.
    US made makers such as SOE Gear, Spec-OPs, Tactical Tailor all make similar belts sewn in USA at similar price points.

5.11 makes a chinese made version for about 30.00 shipped. I suspect it would also do the trick until you decided to get something else.

There is a vigorous 2nd hand market for "riggers/instructors belts" on ebay an other forums as well.

I would urge to consider buying gun purpose designed quality, even used, on the front end. Buy quality, you only buy and cry one time...

There's a reason they call it a belt clip....

I have found that both IWB & OWB carry are more comfortable with a sturdy belt made to carry the weight. Also, clipping the holster to the waistband of your pants will subject them to undue wear & tear.

I'll concede a good belt is expensive, but I think it's worth it. You do what ya gotta do. When you can pull together the money for a good belt, buy one. Until then, make do. When the time comes, I can personally vouch for "the Beltman" Gun Belts by The Belt Man. I rarely wear any other belt anymore, even when I don't carry. Mind you, I'm not saying there aren't other equally good choices out there. I just decided to try the Beltman, and am totally happy with the product.

A good quality stiff leather belt will do. I have many western belts that do double duty as gun belts. My dress belts are all gun belts though. And the Beltman makes some very good ones at good prices.

Yep, the Beltman is the way to go. Good product and excellent service.

I went through this same thing recently, since I needed a new belt becuase my wife's dog ate my old one.

ANyway, I didn't have a bunch to spend on a gunbelt. I went to Wal-mart, & Kmart and all they had was pretty much junk. Same thing at a few clothing stores. IMO you need a belt that is leather, not pleather, and it needs to be relatively stiff.

I found what I was looking for a tractor suply, and no it's not a big ole redneck rodeo belt. IIRC it cost around $15, but may have been a bit more.

It is an 1 1/2" and is made of real leather and is stiff enough to keep from sagging when I'm carrying a snubby. It also looks nice, since it is finished like the stuff they use for reins. If the dog chews up this one, he may come down with a case of lead poisining.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    At the advise of many members of this forum I have stopped carrying Mexican style. I bought a Bianchi professional IWB holster. My question is... DO i need to wear a gun belt with this kind of holster? I get good retention against my body with my current belt and have had no problems so far, although it has only been 2 weeks. here is a link to a picture 100 *Professional™ I usually have the clip under my belt as it is. I am working to put myself through school so $70 or so on a gun belt is a big expense.
    It's best to wear a gun belt. My favorite is the Wilderness Titanium Instructor Belt.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    This is very much like a Fist...single clip.
    If the clip is strong, it will work without a belt, but the belt will give much more support and security.
    OMO

Stay armed...with a good holster and belt...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A $20 belt from Ross or Walmart is no comparison to a proper fitting gunbelt from a professional beltmaker. The minute you change it will become apparent.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I order a 511 tatical belt pick up on sat.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Any holster is best worn with a quality gun belt designed to carry the weight of a gun. No matter what others tell you, until you try a belt designed to carry a gun, you will never know how good it is.

I use a 5.11 tactical leather belt with a permastiff insert and it does well for my 32oz 1911. You can spend alot more for a custom belt by a leather maker and they are very good as well. The answer to your post is ... YES, a good gun belt should be part of your daily attire if you carry daily.

P.S. Glad to hear you dont carry Mexican anymore, its just not safe ... BG's dont normally carry in a holster. YMMV

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Ho.../I/59501-59502
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I carry with the same Bianchi 100 holster - in fact I have a couple of them. I carried for a long time with my old belt, which was like a noodle. Then I finally got a belt from the Beltman...

With my old belt I had to tighten it quite a bit to feel that the rig was securely held in place. A real gunbelt can be worn "more loosely" and still hold the weapon in place properly. I found it was quite a bit more comfortable.

Belts last a loooong time (unless your dog chews them or something.) Save your money - it won't take that long - until you can get a decent one.

best,

Dave

I would go ahead and spend the money to get a good belt, like Beltman or Rafter S. They will last you many years, as long as you don't gain or lose a substantial amount of weight. It will also allow you to carry more comfortably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links