I will be traveling without my gun

I will be traveling without my gun

This is a discussion on I will be traveling without my gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was informed today (Tuesday the 9th) at work that I will be on the remote production crew for the coverage (I work at a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I will be traveling without my gun

Unhappy I will be traveling without my gun

I was informed today (Tuesday the 9th) at work that I will be on the remote production crew for the coverage (I work at a television station in Memphis TN) of the Presidential debates held in Oxford Mississippi on the Ol' Miss campus on the 26th of this month.

With the security and all the crap I just went through today with giving my name social security number, passport number where I was born, birth date, and everything else, I don't think I will be taking my carry gun with me. I will be driving down there from Memphis every day instead of staying there over night, a drive of about an hour and a half, (we are doing our morning news cast from the site of the debate on the 25th and 26th) so I will be doing some driving unarmed. I am not happy about it but, I figure it is better than getting too up close and personal with the Secret Service.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You aren't able to at least have it in your own vehicle?

Well, at least you know the place will be crawling w/armed security instead of having to disarm for a "gun free zone" with nothing but a sign to ward off evil doers.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    You aren't able to at least have it in your own vehicle?

Well, at least you know the place will be crawling w/armed security instead of having to disarm for a "gun free zone" with nothing but a sign to ward off evil doers.
    This is what I was thinking...even puting it into the trunk when you get close to the presidential area near the SS...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gun Shop Storage

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I was informed today (Tuesday the 9th) at work that I will be on the remote production crew for the coverage (I work at a television station in Memphis TN) of the Presidential debates held in Oxford Mississippi on the Ol' Miss campus on the 26th of this month.

With the security and all the crap I just went through today with giving my name social security number, passport number where I was born, birth date, and everything else, I don't think I will be taking my carry gun with me. I will be driving down there from Memphis every day instead of staying there over night, a drive of about an hour and a half, (we are doing our morning news cast from the site of the debate on the 25th and 26th) so I will be doing some driving unarmed. I am not happy about it but, I figure it is better than getting too up close and personal with the Secret Service.

Try calling a local gun shop for storage during your work hours...If this is doable...Make sure you grab a receipt for each day you store your weapon...CYA

TN Mike
    I am also going to be involved with the debate, and will NOT be carrying. I work on the Unversity. If the vehicle you will be in is not going to be on University property or with in the "perimiter" around the Ford Center, then there should be no problem with carrying in your vehicle or for that matter on your person. Do you know where you are going to set up? With all of the info you had to give in the background check, it sounds like you will be in the perimiter (inside the fence). Let me know if I can assist you.

I have not been to the site but, we must be pretty close as I was told our cable run from the spot our "talent" will be broadcasting from to the Satellite truck is only 150 feet.

Besides, the vehicle I will be in will be on campus so that alone will kill the ability to go legally armed.

I'll just have to put up with it for this event.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I don't know TN law about campus carry, but I do know that I was almost in the same situation here in Indy for Hillary's campaign. I had to to the background check and got my credentials, but they ended up not needing me. I found out later from the guy that did work that they got everything set up before SS got there (2am call time). On arrival, SS set up their metal detectors and perimeter with the crew inside the whole time. They never once checked the crew or cleared the area. So, I could have carried and been fine as long as I didn't leave. I'm still not sure the pay was good enough to listen to her drivel on for hours though.

If I could park off-campus (if that's the issue) I would lock it in the car.

Edit: So you're riding with someone? Should be fine- as long as the rioters are under control.

You could also pick up a FN303. I saw they were using them for the RNC riots.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Have fun in Ole Miss
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Do you suppose the Background Check you underwent discovered your CCW?

I would get a COM safe in the trunk and cable it securely. If state laws prohibit guns secured in the trunk of your car on a college campus (in Colo they don't), I would park off campus.

No way would I consider doing an hour and a half drive unarmed.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Uh have you actually passed muster with security? It wouldn't surprise me if the SS. doesn't find you have a CCL and scratches you from the approved list.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Uh have you actually passed muster with security? It wouldn't surprise me if the SS. doesn't find you have a CCL and scratches you from the approved list.
    Which tells me you know very little about the USSS (not "SS"). There is nothing about having a CCW permit that would cause a 2nd look during a Secret Service security check.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Will you be driving the company truck or your own car? If company car then I know you will be in the perimeter of the event. If personal car then you have options. Lock in trunk and park way out or ask the local gun shop for storage. By the way, which station do you work for because the stories some of these local media carries all lead me to believe they are all anti's.

traveling unarmed-

well ethier way, stay safe on your journey.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

usss would sooner have a person around that has been thru the background check and the training you have. they know you are trustworthy, kind, clean, and carry..

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Just tell them you are a right wing wacko gun toting nut job. Chances are you will be disqualified based on security and your problem will be solved. Or if that doesn't work, ask them what special permits you will need to conceal carry near a presidential candidate. Problem solved.

PS At least get a picture of you and Sarah.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links