A good explanation of the Grey Man Theory

This is a discussion on A good explanation of the Grey Man Theory within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think some of these concepts may be extreme but within reason they are pretty important to share. From the Western Rifle Shooters Association Blog ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A good explanation of the Grey Man Theory

A good explanation of the Grey Man Theory

I think some of these concepts may be extreme but within reason they are pretty important to share.

From the Western Rifle Shooters Association Blog

Next Steps: The Grey Man

The Grey Man is always invisible in plain sight.

The Grey Man is totally aware of his environs, his own capabilities or lack thereof, his weaponry and his levels of competence with that weaponry. He constantly strives to improve upon both his capabilities and competence. In public, he is always respectful, even to the point of obsequiousness if the situation calls for it. He always appears to be just a little confused by what is happening around him, while in reality he is alertly doing a tactical assessment.

The Grey Man NEVER draws attention to himself by word, dress, action, or mannerism. The Young Grey Man is dismissed as a wimp, the Older as a doddering old fool. The Grey Man derives great inner satisfaction from having this portrayal of himself accepted by all he meets, for it means he is succeeding in his disguise of his actual persona.

The Grey Man is a private man. He practices with his weaponry in private, or only with his fellow Grey Men, always in a secluded location. If he must resort to use of a public facility, he schedules his practice for times when he is likely to be the only one there. At such times he would probably wear bright clothing, to be remembered only as ‘that guy in the red jacket and sunglasses’, a quite different person from his usual persona. If right-handed, he would always occupy the leftmost station on a NRA bullseye pistol range, with his back to an observer, or the rightmost one for riflery or combat pistol practice. He would not have his name emblazoned on clothing or equipment, nor would he have any noteworthy affiliation proclaimed on his cap. “He’s just a guy. Comes every Wednesday morning for his coffeebreak. Always pays cash.”

The Grey Man does not drive a pink Cadillac with steer horns on the hood, NOR does he drive the biggest mutherin’ 4X4-with-all-the-bells-and-whistles BOV in the lot. The older his vehicle is, the rustier, the less likely it is to draw attention (or to be stolen, for that matter). This vehicle is, under its exterior, scrupulously maintained and in excellent running order. If pulled over by authority on the basis of appearance, it can be shown to meet or exceed all requirements under licensing laws, and an obsequious co-operative manner precludes a search under the seats. The Grey Man does not speed on the highway: cruise control is his friend. So is the Highway Patrol: he waves to any he sees. If he travels the same route constantly, at the same times, The Grey Man becomes a ‘fixture’ and can be dismissed from conscious observation.

It helps the Survivor to build up this persona of The Grey Man gradually and over time. The anti-gun sheeple neighbors will quickly rat out the ‘Patriot’ who is always loudly declaiming about his ‘Rights’ and ‘what will happen if they try to take my guns’. The Grey Man goes far out of his way never to offend anyone, imitating the duck which appears calm on the surface of his pond whilst paddling like hell under the surface.

Be seen as conservative in all you do. A Survivor is a Grey Man, and that little old grey man alone over there in the corner is probably a Survivor!

And that young guy next to him? Just another wimp? Or are they both watching each other’s backs?

Making the other guy waste precious time in assessing the situation is a big part of staying alive. Practice being grey now, while there's time to build your skills.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

2. Remove Ads

Grey man

Excellent post. Staying under the radar is inherently wise.

On a side note, not staying under the radar is just one of the sacrifices people who choose public service make. We like to criticize them but where would we be if no one was willing to be a public person. My hat's off to them.

Now I'll slink on down the street like a shadow.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Thank you for the excellant post. It is very true. You tend to find the quiet guy that never gets into an arguement and is usually liked because he doesn't bother anyone is the one that knows what is going on.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    There is so much to be said for being the Grey Man and I am always amazed at the number of people who toss that advantage to the wind.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Great read!,and so true!!!
    Always be alert and aware!!!

Oddly enough, to us here in the South East coast, the Grey Man is another story all together. He is a Ghost story related to Hurricanes....

One version of it.

Pelican Inn of Pawleys Island - The Grey Man Tales > Tales From The Coast!

No more plaid suits and golf hats at the range for me...

Actually...makes sense.

Stay armed...stay grey...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great post. I believe in staying under the radar. I also think it is important to be a chameleon and fit in anywhere.
    Paracord Survival Bracelets & Lanyards. Help us raise awareness and $'s for our Wounded Warriors! Visit www.SurvivalStraps.com

I'm a sailor......I've built a career by 'staying under the radar' when necessary.

I like grey! Great post.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Oddly enough, to us here in the South East coast, the Grey Man is another story all together. He is a Ghost story related to Hurricanes....

One version of it.

Pelican Inn of Pawleys Island - The Grey Man Tales > Tales From The Coast!
    Cool story! Thanks for sharing.
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    the Older as a doddering old fool.
    I can certainly verify that this has been my experience.

However, it can be a double edged sword. I never worry about getting made when out in public, but I am also aware that to a bad guy I might appear to be an easy target. Hopefully, I will never have to demonstrate the error of that kind of assumption.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

How does grey man enjoy life to the fullest?

Quote Originally Posted by Catalina View Post
    How does grey man enjoy life to the fullest?
    I consider myself a grey man and I have certainly lived life with gusto. I have been blessed to travel the world and do a lot of exciting things in my life. I live with passion and energy and enjoy "the finer things". Being a grey man has never slowed me down or impeded me in any way.
    gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

A drug dealer once put it well:
    "Being a big fish in a small pond is dangerous.
    "Being a small fish in a big pond is cool."
    He unknowingly described a Grey Man concept.
    Fortunately he never subscribed to his own advice.
    Which is why I knew him to be a drug dealer.
    (That was the night I used the line, "I'm the man from Glad, and you're in the bag!")
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Excellent description and excellent posts. I've worked at Grey all my life, which as a button down CPA was the required professional demeanor, LOL.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links