Accidental Discharge? Common? Rare? Ever had one?

This is a discussion on Accidental Discharge? Common? Rare? Ever had one? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious with regards to carrying a pistol all the time if accidental discharges are fairly common, extremely rare, if folks here have had it ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Accidental Discharge? Common? Rare? Ever had one?

Just curious with regards to carrying a pistol all the time if accidental discharges are fairly common, extremely rare, if folks here have had it happen etc? Going through the basic pistol training courses and knowing the rules "always point in safe direction", "always know which direction is safe" etc seems to support the idea that they are fairly common?

Anyone?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In roughly 30 years of carrying i have had one ND ( which perforated fireplace logs ) . I am happy to report tho that the pistol did just what it was supposed to , in that when you pull the trigger you get a loud noise and tend to perferate things .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    AD or ND are not all that common, you can greatly decreases your chances by being smart about guns and following all the rules. I handle several daily, working on them, carrying them and shooting with several others on the range and have been more than 10 years. I've never had one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My only AD in over 30 years of carrying was back in the late 70's.

I had just finished cleaning and re loading a Colt Combat Commander 45 and my finger slipped off the hammer, as I was de cocking it. As Redneck repairs stated it made a loud bang, and poof I had a new hole in my closet door.

While carrying, I've never had a problem nor have a felt it was a possibility of happening. Since I'm now use to carrying a Glock I've gotten use to the idea that a good holster is the safety, and I only take it out when I'm ready to shoot it, or change holsters.

Just in case; always point the business end in a safe direction.

They are not "common" among responsible gun handlers, but handle enough guns for long enough, and it will likely happen sooner or later. That's why it's imperative to practice ALL the rules of safe gun handling -- that way when you have a brain fart and miss one, the others will usually save your bacon when that ND happens.

As for me, I got mine out of the way early. :) I've been shooting and handling guns since I was probably 8-9 years old, so well over 30 years now. Safety was drilled into me from an early age, and I am very OCD about gun safety. Sometimes I'll clear & check a weapon 3-4 times before I'm comfortable with the notion that it's unloaded, and even then I won't intentionally point it in an unsafe direction. Anyway, when I was maybe 14 or 15, I was fishing in a boat with an older cousin and another guy. My cousin showed me his new Colt Mustang .380, which was loaded, cocked & locked. I still don't know how it happened, but I somehow disengaged the safety, and a few minutes later accidentally pulled the trigger -- thankfully the muzzle was pointed out over the water and nobody was around, but it scared the bejeezus out of me, and embarrassed me to no end. I was so ashamed for at least a month, I could barely look at my cousin. Many hours and thousands of rounds later, it hasn't happened again, but I'll never be so arrogant or complacent to assume it can't.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

While in the Military, I had one. My service pistol was a Beretta 9mm, and it happened at the qualification range. We weren't given too much instruction on firing them (as per Military Regs) and when I loaded the magazine, I fired my rounds, and dropped the mag. I failed to notice the slide wasn't locked back and while the pistol was aimed upward and downrange I pulled the trigger and the gun made a really loud bang and sent some lead into the sky.
    10 years later and that was the only one.

Someone in another unit had 3 in one night. One at the range. It perforated his BDU bottoms and made them dirty and smelly. The second perforated the Ammo room ceiling, and made multiple smelly dirty pants. And the third perforated the HMMVW floorboard and almost took out the gas tank. 3 strikes and he was out. We gave him a water pistol to use after that.

I've never shot anything I didn't intend to. Never had an accident or pulled the trigger when I didn't mean to.

I've had one stupid firing discharge in my life. I was getting acquainted with my first auto handgun (a Walther PP) and racked the slide to load a round. What I didn't realize was that the gun store I'd purchased it from (back in 1968) didn't safety check what they sold, and the safety wasn't. Safe, I mean. The slug went through the display box the gun came in and dug into the floor. No one died, thank God! I put the gun into the box, took it to a TRAINED gunsmith and requested a safety check. It cost me a couple of bucks, but now I know that old gun is safe. The hole in the box is my memory jog. Be safe!!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryMan View Post
    I've had one stupid firing discharge in my life. I was getting acquainted with my first auto handgun (a Walther PP) and racked the slide to load a round. What I didn't realize was that the gun store I'd purchased it from (back in 1968) didn't safety check what they sold, and the safety wasn't. Safe, I mean. The slug went through the display box the gun came in and dug into the floor. No one died, thank God! I put the gun into the box, took it to a TRAINED gunsmith and requested a safety check. It cost me a couple of bucks, but now I know that old gun is safe. The hole in the box is my memory jog. Be safe!!
    And thats why I hate external safety systems... safe they ain't, a false sense of security they are.
    "Just blame Sixto"

wj
    I have carried both revolvers and semi-pistols. Never! I have been carrying since I started shooting. MANY years ago. Keep your finger off the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    My only AD in over 30 years of carrying was back in the late 70's.

I had just finished cleaning and re loading a Colt Combat Commander 45 and my finger slipped off the hammer, as I was de cocking it. As Redneck repairs stated it made a loud bang, and poof I had a new hole in my closet door.

While carrying, I've never had a problem nor have a felt it was a possibility of happening. Since I'm now use to carrying a Glock I've gotten use to the idea that a good holster is the safety, and I only take it out when I'm ready to shoot it, or change holsters.

Just in case; always point the business end in a safe direction.

And that is why you never thumb down the hammer of a 1911. Carry it cocked and locked which is actually the safest way to go.

No they are not common, and technically should never happen to someone who is careful about thier gun handling. Aside from an actual gun malfunction which is very rare the only way to have an ND is if the person is having an idiot moment or has no business handling a gun in the first place. Granted, everyone has a brain fade now and again but when dealing with loaded firearms you do NOT get a do over. Bottom line, if you are going to carry, make sure you are smart enough to pay attention.

Never had a AD or ND with a pistol. Only one was with an old hawkins muzzleloader. Was the end of season and went to unload it, pointed in a safe direction and cocked the hammer. Well the hammer didn't stay back and as soon as I let off POOF off she went. Just glad I practiced the old point in a safe direction idea ;).
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

No, never happened. But they say of you do something long enough, every contingency will occur. I will also win the lottery one day too!

But I am adamant about safety and the 4 rules. They are ALWAYS in my mind whenever I handle firearms, from cleaning to storing, to showing.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

The only time I am ever really concerned is after cleaning my 1911. I believe an AD is most likely to happen after cleaning when i'm rechambering a round.

Michael

Do you mean "accidental" or "negligent"? I've always looked at them as two separate things.

AD, or accidental discharge, is when the gun goes off due to a mechanical failure. Slam-fire, cook off, worn springs, broken parts, etc.

ND, or negligent discharge, is when you basically goofed up, and made the gun go "bang" when you didn't want it to.

The "conventional wisdom" is that there are two kinds of people who have NDs: those that have, and those that will.

-JT

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links