Chambered round

This is a discussion on Chambered round within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks I can't believe after 182 votes there are actually 42 empties in it. Wonders never cease. That's because they'd rather have ...

View Poll Results: Chamber vs. Magazine?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would rather have a single round ready to go.

253 80.32%
  • I would rather have an empty chamber with a full mag.

62 19.68%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chambered round

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I can't believe after 182 votes there are actually 42 empties in it. Wonders never cease.
    That's because they'd rather have 8-15+ rounds and would rather train to chamber and go, compared to having only one chance to stop a threat (and good luck if there's more than 1).

I'm 99% sure that a vast majoirty of those who participated actually use secret option C, which is a chambered round with a full mag.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

2. Remove Ads

+1 for a single in the pipe...
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
    --Thomas Jefferson

I can't believe after 182 votes there are actually 42 empties in it. Wonders never cease.
    The OP later clarified that the purpose of the poll was to determine if folks could be comfortable with a 0+1 one-shot club, or if they'd be willing to accept racking the slide with a 12+0 unit. Either-or.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    That's because they'd rather have 8-15+ rounds and would rather train to chamber and go, compared to having only one chance to stop a threat (and good luck if there's more than 1).
    Yup.

I think it's easy to understand why people would be skittish about having a one-shot club. For myself, I cannot guarantee a one-shot stop, ever. It's like having a knife, but being forced to decide whether one is more comfortable throwing that knife once at an attacker, versus holding onto it for a sustained defense. Seems a simple choice, to me, at least until one attains the skill of a one-shot expert.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Having an empty chamber would be as comforting as having one wet sock . I'd have to spend a lot of time practicing the "Isreali" draw, but that would beat playing Barney Fife (I know, he kept his in his pocket).
    For the first couple weeks that I carried, I sometimes carried un-chambered. I knew better, but it was part of "learning." (Oddly enough, the gun itself was never uncomfortable or awkward feeling.)
    Either of your options would suck, now.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

asinine poll questions!

I am very nervous about keeping a round chambered at home around my kids so if my Glock 19 is not on me the chamber is clear. My 3yo and 5yo cannot rack the slide so I feel comfortable having it out of the safe. When I go to sleep it is under my mattress with a full magazine but without a round in the chamber. I will risk that split second it takes to rack the slide. But once I am carrying I keep a full magazine and one chambered. Unfortunately I work at a University so I cannot carry to work so my glock is locked in the safe at home unloaded with the two magazines hidden very close by. I have been told it is dangerous to store the ammunition with the firearm in the event someone other than me or my wife for some unforeseen reason gets into the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf4000 View Post
    I am very nervous about keeping a round chambered at home around my kids so if my Glock 19 is not on me the chamber is clear. My 3yo and 5yo cannot rack the slide so I feel comfortable having it out of the safe. When I go to sleep it is under my mattress with a full magazine but without a round in the chamber. I will risk that split second it takes to rack the slide. But once I am carrying I keep a full magazine and one chambered. Unfortunately I work at a University so I cannot carry to work so my glock is locked in the safe at home unloaded with the two magazines hidden very close by. I have been told it is dangerous to store the ammunition with the firearm in the event someone other than me or my wife for some unforeseen reason gets into the safe.
    Be careful about chambering the round too many times as it can cause setback and create a very high chamber pressure. Also, if your Glock is in your holster and under your control, I do not understand how your children could access it. If leaving the chamber empty is the only way you feel safe then so be it, but I would reconsider.

Do you chamber a round every time somebody knocks on your door? Sometimes seconds really do count, and hopefully you will never be in a situation where that one second makes the difference.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The way I read it, he leaves the chamber empty only when it's not on him.

Wolf, you may consider looking at one of those safes (the brand name escapes me) that use a hand-print layout with a button for each finger, that way you can keep it fully loaded but readily accessible.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I can't believe after 235 votes there are actually 184 single shot pistols.

Maybe I'm misreading the poll question, but as I read it the question is would I prefer to carry a single shot pistol with one in the chamber or a semi-auto with a full magazine and an empty chamber. If that's the question, I'll take the full magazine every time. We're not talking about a duel where you take 10 paces, turn and take an aimed shot. In a SHTF situation full of movement, adrenaline, a BG shooting at you or multiple BGs shooting at you, no way would I trade off the couple of seconds needed to chamber a round and then have multiple rounds available for a single round already loaded.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

to the OP: ummm....huh?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    So you and Captain Kirk will not face the Kobayashi Maru.
    You beat me to that one Thanis! But Kirk cheated, so I can say I have one in the chamber, but have more in the mag anyway. I can't answer this poll, becuase I cannot imagine myself in that situation.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

i always carry in condition 1 even on my first day of my chl, if i had to choose though i would take the full mag over only 1 shot in my chamber.
    my reasoning for this is i am extremely difficult to take by surprise and also there could be more than one BG w/a gun to fight.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

A single round locked & loaded over an empty chamber anyday
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Am I the only one who finds it funny that the minority, by a large margin, are the most bitter about my ridiculous poll? Sheesh, yes, I do "option c" as well, but the point was to hopefully clarify and stress exactly how important a loaded round is. 4 to 1, in favor of the loaded round, even with a huge sacrifice for that split second advantage, I guess the point has been made.

Thanks for playing, fellas.

One in the chamber is one ready to go. You may not have time to rack the slide.
    Keep your powder dry

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links