Hurricane Ike evacuees with CHL cannot carry at Civic Center in Beaumont

This is a discussion on Hurricane Ike evacuees with CHL cannot carry at Civic Center in Beaumont within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Port Arthur officials now say evacuation transportation will continue >> www.beaumontenterprise.com - Local Port Arthur officials now say evacuation transportation will continue By BLAIR DEDRICK ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Ike evacuees with CHL cannot carry at Civic Center in Beaumont

Hurricane Ike evacuees with CHL cannot carry at Civic Center in Beaumont

Port Arthur officials now say evacuation transportation will continue >> www.beaumontenterprise.com - Local

Port Arthur officials now say evacuation transportation will continue

By BLAIR DEDRICK ORTMANN

September, 11, 2008

Port Arthur evacuation transportation from the Civic Center will continue as long as weather permits and resources are available, according to a press release issued at 6 p.m.
    Earlier information said that evacuation transportation would cease at 9 tonight.
    Citizens who have their own transportation should use their own transportation and not rely on the buses.
    Pre-arranged shelters are not capable of handling medical special-needs persons.
    If citizens need transportation to the civic center they should call 983-8767, and 983-8794.
    Citizens should arrive at the Civic Center with photo ID and try to limit their baggage as much as possible with only essential needs including prescription medication. No weapons, including firearms. This no firearm rule applies to those persons with Concealed Handgun licenses.
    Pets must be restrained in a pet carrier. Unsecured animals will not be allowed on the buses or in the shelters.
    Evacuation transportation operations are set to cease in Beaumont at 6 a.m. Friday, according to a press release from Southeast Emergency Management officials.
    The City of Beaumont is responsible for assisting it's residents as well as those citizens from the surrounding rural area's such as, but not limited to, Fannett, Cheek, China and Nome.
    Citizens choosing to evacuate by bus should make their way to their local assembly sites as soon as possible.
    Citizens are asked to pack their necessary clothing items, medications, important papers, identification, etc. Citizens can catch a bus ride from the following sites:
    - Dunbar Elementary, 825 Jackson
    - French Elementary, 3525 Cleveland
    - Martin Luther King Middle School, 1400 Ave A
    - Ozen High School, 3443 Fannett Rd
    - Smith Middle Sdchool, 4415 Concord
    - South Park Middle School, 4500 Highland Ave
    The main assembly Point is Westbrook High School, 8750 Phelan Blvd. If someone has a car and can get to Westbrook, he or she can be evacuated by bus.
    Dumb, Dumb, Dumb policy. Methinks they might need them even more in a situation like this. Besides that, they are supposed to leave them at home for the looters to steal? I don't know if the Civic Center is properly posted 30.06 but even if it is they should make an exception for this extraordinary situation.
    Mr. President: They didn't die for open borders.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

2. Remove Ads

Is this policy or law? If the center is not posted my thought is that it is just a nice notification but does not bear the legal burden required by CHL law in Texas. Keep it concealed and no one will know.

If this is policy, then the people who make it need to be taken to task for their idiocy. Find out who they are and put the pressure of votes upon them so that when this happens again they are not around to make the same mistake twice.

As far as the looters, they better have plenty of tools and time. Gun safes are not easy to break into and we all keep our guns in those, right?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Administrator
    I can understand why they don't want them there.

I will also say that I wouldn't be there without one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Is this policy or law? If the center is not posted my thought is that it is just a nice notification but does not bear the legal burden required by CHL law in Texas. Keep it concealed and no one will know.
    Makes no difference. Eseentially, by appearing at the Civic Center, one is placing oneself under the authority of the "Emergency Coordination Center" or whatever they call theirs. Their policies are no different than martial law. You do's what you's told, or you leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

I will also say that I wouldn't be there without one.
    I agree. If I were an evacuee and I saw that, legal posting or not, I'd keep driving North.

Prayers go out to those brothers and sisters heading this way, I hope they make it safely.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Someone better versed in the Texas Statutes than me will have to address this one. As far as I know after Texas passed there CHL into law, there was some discrepency as to where people could carry and how many municipalities were saying their buildings were off limits. To my understanding a law was passed basically saying that municipalities can not forbid concealed carry other than to governmental meetings. They are also forbidden them from posting the 30.06 signage on municiple buildings.

I don't know who owns the civic center in Beaumount, or what particular law would cover this ban. If there is not a specific law they are using to ban them, then the instructions will not carry any weight unless the building is privately owned and has a valid 30.06 signage. Someone else may be able to address the specific statute that they are using for this ban.

That being said, I am not so sure I would want to bring a firearm into an area that is so full of people who might be tempted to go through your stuff. Then again, I am not so sure I wouldn't go there without one. I am just glad I don't have to be there an face those descisions.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I thought there were laws passed after katrina about illegally disarming people,and if it's city property they cannot post off limits to CHL holders,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Either way, 30.06 or not, if it is posted I'll not go there as it tells me a lot about how that site would be run.

I have gear I can use. We just bought my Wife a nice Grand Caravan that sleeps more comfortably than an old Army cot. I'll keep driving until I hit a friendly site or a nice KOA camp site.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

So, how does this work?

CHL is kosher during normal, everyday events, and the government cannot come take your weapons away out of general fear. Reject-Govt-Swiping-Of-Arms-During-Emergency statutes have been passed, and yet the moment a natural emergency/disaster arrives, the government disallows you to have your firearm specifically the sort of defense needs that were blatantly evident during Katrina? Publically-funded and -operated facility at which it's otherwise kosher to carry?

Seems to me this is a blatant disregard of such statutes put in place to specifically disallow the disarming of legally-armed citizens during such situations.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

as a paramedic who just got done working a shelter at the bossier city civic center, and about to work it again for ike, i will put it in the way it was out to me by a state trooper at the shelter:

they are not "taking" your guns away, they are keeping you from bringing them in, they check ALL luggage and allow NO: needles, knives, guns, ammo, weapons, drugs, alcohol. if you have a CCP and want to carry, go somewhere else. its that simple.

would i want to carry in the shelters i worked? HELL YES!
    do i want the bozo's in the shelter having a toothbrush they can turn into a weapon: HELL NO

i understand they cant differentiate between good guy/bad guy, and cant make special exceptions because the people who cant carry would riot over the "injustice" and "demand equality" and want to bring their guns to.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't understand. I understand why they don't want the gang-bangers and criminals from coming in with guns. I don't understand why someone who has been vetted almost as well as an LEO cannot.

If there are cops at the doors searching and seizing without warrant just because I want to enter I wouldn't go there anyway.

they are not "taking" your guns away, they are keeping you from bringing them in, they check ALL luggage and allow NO: needles, knives, guns, ammo, weapons, drugs, alcohol. if you have a CCP and want to carry, go somewhere else. its that simple.
    If a city put up a public housing project and demanded the residents submit to searches every time they came home and wanted to enter the building, how do you see that going over?

If a city said since you live in government housing you are subject to LEO searches of the dwelling at any time for any reason, how would that fly?

If the federal government said that anyone who received a government check, either as a gainfully employed worker, a disabled vet, or welfare recipient, had to allow unannounced searches of their person and all property, would that be understandable?

I hope you answered negatively to all of the above. If you did, how can it be legal to search my stuff just because I want to enter a building and get a free ride out of danger? Why do I have to give up my rights more and more every time I have anything to do with the government?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I can understand why... However I dont think I would want to be in that situation.

My Brother inlaw lives in The Houston area and I know he wont go to one.

It is great for an emergency but gees. Like New Orleans. You can see this thing coming.

I have freinds in New Orleans. Both times Katrina and this last one they flew up here, at least a week earlier

If you fail to Plan..... You plan to fail. Pretty simple I think

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    i understand they cant differentiate between good guy/bad guy, and cant make special exceptions because the people who cant carry would riot over the "injustice" and "demand equality" and want to bring their guns to.
    You can differentiate by the CHL id card people are required to carry. And they can have their equality by going out and getting their own CHL.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

me
    Having been trained by the red cross through there temporary shelter and long term shelter courses I can give you a bit of the reason why.

You will need to sleep. What will you do with your firearm while you sleep. Personally I don't believe that in a situation where there are that many people around me that I can have complete control of my stuff 24/7. Since at many of these shelters there happen to be items stolen from people or lost by people the shelters do not want ANYTHING that is considered a weapon in the shelter. Anyone found with one is OUT. Those are the rules follow them or find somewhere other than a disaster shelter.
    Last edited by me; September 12th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I'd be driving further north to find another place that allows me to defend myself and my family...certainly can't say that there wasn't sufficient warning.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links