Have to be a citizen to conceal?

This is a discussion on Have to be a citizen to conceal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm English by birth, moved to America with my family in 1982 at age 7. I lost my accent in roughly 2 weeks, my dad ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have to be a citizen to conceal?

Have to be a citizen to conceal?

I'm English by birth, moved to America with my family in 1982 at age 7. I lost my accent in roughly 2 weeks, my dad says. Now I'm 26, have just recently become interested in politics and 'the real world' shortly after I gave up sheepdom. I read a lot in some threads that when you refer to someone with a carry license, you call them an "armed citizen" or a "licensed citizen"... is this just plain patriotism, referencing the 2nd amendment, or do you in fact have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for a ccw? (I'm in OH) I'm taking the ccw course tomorrow, so it'd be good to know if I'd be wasting my money on the course while I should be spending it on citizenship (which was going to be next on the list anyways!). Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Ads

As you probably know, laws and requirements vary by state. Someone from OH will chime in about your state specifically, I'm sure. Failing that, the class instructor will certainly be able to answer the question.

FWIW, in FL you simply need to be a legal resident of the U.S.

Cheers!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/OHSL.pdf

Try this website....but the local LE should know. Hope it helps.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Ohio code.

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.125 Application and licensing process.

As far as I can tell, Ohio has no requirement for US Citizenship.
    Some states (like my own) do and some dont.

Click on the link and read it. That is the law for Ohio.

The applicant is legally living in the United States, has been a resident of this state for at least forty-five days, and has been a resident of the county in which the person seeks the license or a county adjacent to the county in which the person seeks the license for at least thirty days.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

As the others said, it can vary by state. AFAIK the states I'm familiar with allow any legal resident to get a CCW. Here in GA, during the application process, if not a citizen you have to provide the additional documentation to prove legal status. Other than that, the process and rights are the same whether citizen or not.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

A friend of mine maried a canadian. She will shortly recieve her perminent resident alien card or whatever the corect name is. She will still be a Canada citizen but she will be allowed to purchas a firearm. My frendly neiborhood gun dealer (FFL) showed me the extra paperwork asociated with the process of buying a gun if you are a perminent resident alien. It is just an extra form that askes a few questions to allow the background check to verify you are indeed a perminent resident alien. I believe one may also obtain a CCW license as indicated above, state by state. There is however no federal law prohibiting the issuance of a CCW to a perminent resident alien. In essence and practicaly a perminent resident alien is a U.S. citizen that cannot vote or hold public office.-Jay
    "The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness." -Robert A. Heinlein

right then. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    I'm English by birth, moved to America with my family in 1982 at age 7. I lost my accent in roughly 2 weeks, my dad says. Now I'm 26, have just recently become interested in politics and 'the real world' shortly after I gave up sheepdom. I read a lot in some threads that when you refer to someone with a carry license, you call them an "armed citizen" or a "licensed citizen"... is this just plain patriotism, referencing the 2nd amendment, or do you in fact have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for a ccw? (I'm in OH) I'm taking the ccw course tomorrow, so it'd be good to know if I'd be wasting my money on the course while I should be spending it on citizenship (which was going to be next on the list anyways!). Thanks for your time.
    For Ohio CCW applicants:

Requirements:
    1. 21 Years Of Age
    2. Ohio residents for 45 days
    3. Resident of the issuing county (or an adjacent county) for 30 days
    4. Completed Application
    5. Color photograph taken within the last 30 days
    6. Set of fingerprints
    7. Certification of competency with a firearm

You shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck!
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Interested in the outcome of this.

Administrator
    As long as you are here legal, you are good to go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    As long as you are here legal, you are good to go.
    About time you showed up and chimed in. What took you so long?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

yes, I have had a green card since 1982. I'm legal!

And I DO appreciate your concern. No jokes there.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    About time you showed up and chimed in. What took you so long?
    Doing stuff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, except subject to subsection (B) of this section, SLED must issue a permit, which is no larger than three and one-half inches by three inches in size, to carry a concealable weapon to a resident or qualified nonresident who is at least twenty-one years of age and who is not prohibited by state law from possessing the weapon
    This thread made me look up SC's requirements. Looks like there is no requirement other than being a resident. I suppose that means legal and illegal aliens. As long as you live here or own property here you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post
    Uhhh.... unless my math is wrong, if you were 7 in 1982, then you would be 33, not 26.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links