Flying VA to GA.

This is a discussion on Flying VA to GA. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi. this is my first thread. Not sure if I got this right or if it is in the right place. Next week I will ...

Thread: Flying VA to GA.

VIP Member

Flying VA to GA.

Hi. this is my first thread. Not sure if I got this right or if it is in the right place.

Next week I will be flying from Norfolk VA to Atlanta GA on Delta. Legal to carry in VA and GA with non-res permits.

Any advice would be great on the Airport travel part. Anyone ever transport pistol on this flight/route before. Thanks.
    Last edited by ccman; September 12th, 2008 at 09:44 PM.

2. Remove Ads

sorry, but can't help you on ccing in GA. or VA.
    you are surely in the right spot. great advice
    from fellow members. someone should be
    able to help real soon.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

The airline regulations are the same no matter where you're going or whether you're licensed to carry. The firearm must be unloaded and secured in a hard side container with (or inside) your checked baggage, and you must notify the ticket agent that a firearm is inside.

More info here: TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Since you're licensed in both states, you should have no issues outside of satisfying the airline requirements.
    David

Kimber Pro CDP II Colt Combat Commander Glock 26 GNS Ruger Mark III 22/45 Kahr CW9 (sold)

VIP Member
    David. This will be my first time flying with firearm. Thank You.

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org
    basically you have to steer clear of public gatherings public buildings, political rallies, organized sport events, church, nuclear power facilities
    the public gathering is very vague(meant to disarm blacks int he 1800's)
    if you are asked to leave anywhere just pack up and go also signs dont hold legal weight here
    . restaurants like applebees, longhorn etc that arent bars are legal(cant consume) but places that make more than 50% on alcohol are illegal still

you can OC or CC it doenst mater if you print or not
    in GA the airport will be fine to carry in the locked container(tech it's legal to carry in the non secure area but there is a lawsuit going so i wouldnbt want to be a test case)
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris68 View Post
    The airline regulations are the same no matter where you're going or whether you're licensed to carry. The firearm must be unloaded and secured in a hard side container with (or inside) your checked baggage, and you must notify the ticket agent that a firearm is inside.

More info here: TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Since you're licensed in both states, you should have no issues outside of satisfying the airline requirements.
    The TSA regulations are the same everywhere. Each airline has some nuanced differences. Nothing onerous. I recommend having a copy of the TSA and Airline rules as sometime (not always) the counter agent is not familiar with the rule sets.

Delta Rules

One item of shooting equipment is accepted as the passenger's one free checked bag.
    When checking a firearm, you must:
    Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
    Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
    Lock the firearm(s) in a hard-sided, crush-proof container and retain the key or combination
    Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
    Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes
    Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit.
    Ammunition in excess of 11 pounds per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited.
    Rifles
    One rifle case containing:
    two or fewer rifles (with or without scopes)
    one shooting mat
    one small pistol tool kit
    noise suppressers
    11 pounds (approximately 5 kg) of ammunition
    An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than two rifles.
    Shotguns
    two shotguns
    two shotgun cases
    An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than two shotguns.
    Pistols
    One pistol case containing:
    five pistols
    pistol telescopes
    noise suppressers
    a small pistol tool case
    An excess baggage fee will apply to cases containing more than five pistols.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    Thanks for all the help here. It makes it alot easier.

Take a Look At This....

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

1. Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    2. Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
      • oThe round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
    3. Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    4. Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    5. Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    6. Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    7. Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
      • demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
      • if the TSA wants to see.
    8. Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office

Other things to consider:

1. Check Handgunlaw.us to determine:
      • If you can possess the weapon at all your stops.
      • Where and how you can carry at all your stops.
      • What are the deadly force rules in each state you are visiting.
    2. Have a copy of the Don Young Transportation Letter on hand - http://www.anjrpc.org/DefendingYourR...s%20letter.pdf. This covers changing modes of travel - car to plane to car - in a single journey.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

VIP Member
    GHFLRLTD Take a Look At This....

George thank You for all this advice. I printed and will follow. I made 3 copies of everything. Like anything else in life a lot of paperwork.

Only one other thing to consider..

I travel with a weapon for work fairly often (I'm military) and the only thing that I ever have any worries about is getting to the baggage claim as fast a humanly possible. No airport I've ever been to checks you baggage claim tickets, and nothing screams "steal me" quite as loud as a gun case. You'd think that airlines would keep weapons separate for claim, like they do with pets, but more often than not they simply slide down the chute with everything else.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:

[LIST=1][*]Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.[*]Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
    • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
    • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
    • oThe round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
    [*]Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage. [*]Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    I travel with a weapon for work fairly often (I'm military) and the only thing that I ever have any worries about is getting to the baggage claim as fast a humanly possible. No airport I've ever been to checks you baggage claim tickets, and nothing screams "steal me" quite as loud as a gun case. You'd think that airlines would keep weapons separate for claim, like they do with pets, but more often than not they simply slide down the chute with everything else.

Thats why GHFLRLTD and others have said its smart to put the weapons case inside of another non-descript bag. That and the potential thieves in the baggage bidness.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member
    Guys. I made the flight from Norfolfk VA to Atlanta GA. I got to the Airport and it had the sticker on the door no guns. I went straight to the check in. I said to the Guy behing the counter I had to check a firearm. He was cool, he gave me a red tag to sign and told me to put it in with the guns. I said I would do it at TSA (30 feet away) as there was a big line and I did not want to let everyone know what I had in my suit case. I went over to TSA and let the TSA Guy know I had to put the tag in with the pistols. As I was doing it he took the tag and layed it on top of the pistol case in my suit case and said that was good. (They did not even check to see if they were unloaded). Pistols in one hard case, ammo and mags in the other with cable wrapped around bar inside of case. I put lock on suitcase also. I waited while they put it thru X-Ray machine. They asked for the keys to the suitcase and checked out my washbag.(shower Gel). They put gel and washbag back in locked suitcase and returned the keys all was well.

When I got to Atlanta It was a long way to the baggage pick up. I was walking fast to get there before the suitcase. I got there and the suitcase came down and I picked it up. The exit door was right there and no one checking bag tags.(That was a worry as most airports don't check baggage tags).

All went well and everyone was very pleasant.

Thanks for all the help here as it was my first time flying with Firearms.

I flew from West Palm Beach FL to Harrisburg PA today on Delta, checking in my Kahr PM9. I misread the departure time and showed up at 0740 for a 0815 flight (I thought it departed at 0845). The ticket agent gave me the orange ticket to sign, told me to put it inside the gun case and never even looked in the bag, much less inside the Center Of Mass box I had locked and cabled to the suitcase frame. I put the string around the latch and left the tag hanging outside of the box. My mags were unloaded and the rounds were in the manufacturers box with internal plastic tray. I had left the PM9's slide locked open, just in case.

The agent radioed for a skycap, who took the bag (and me with it) down one level to TSA screening behind the baggage carousels in the arrivals area. The skycap asked me to wait there while he went in to the secure area. He came out a couple of minutes later, told me I was good to go, and I went back upstairs and through the regular passenger security screening. Made my flight with a few minutes to spare (phewww!).

Kudos to the ticket agent, who didn't give me a hard time for showing up late, and even went outside to grab a skycap when one didn't respond to her radio call quickly enough. I suspect in a busier airport I might not have been shown (or deserved!) such courtesy.

My luggage came down the carousel in Harrisburg a few hours later, safe and sound.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Links