Codewords between you and your significant other

This is a discussion on Codewords between you and your significant other within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks, Just wondering about any code words / systems you have in place with your significant other. Maybe a word to convey something that looks ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Folks,
    Just wondering about any code words / systems you have in place with your significant other.

Maybe a word to convey something that looks odd, something bad impending, SjustHTF, etc.

Just breaking in a new GF who's pretty smart but awareness and security are kinda new topics. Really want to get started on the personal awareness / observation / communication side. She doesnt carry - but I do and want to operate like we have 4 eyes.

Thoughts? Thanks!

JD
    Administrator
    I have a hard enough time trying to teach Lima basic hand signals, we've been married for over three years and she still doesn't know the hand signal for double time.

In all honesty, if I see something, or need to tell her something, I'm not going to bother with "code words" I'm just going to tell her that there's a freaky looking dude over there instead of hoping she remembers that "The squash is rather ripe today" means that there's a freaky looking dude over there.

Just communicate exactly what you need to say, that way there's no getting mixed messages.

The K.I.S.S. principle really works.

Another 'regular word' guy. We already talk about basic situations...if an attempted car-jacking or robbery takes place...she knows to cover her ears...

If something looks fishy, we both just say that..."Something's wrong here."...we pretty much think alike anyway.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; September 13th, 2008 at 10:29 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

straight talk here too. My wife knows if I say to do something like "get the kids out that exit now"or "Get down" in a forceful voice she needs to do it without question. I may get my butt riped later for being rude to her but she will do exactly as she is told when I need her to.If I need her to be alert to someone or a situation I just say watch this guy or maybe we need to go this way because .....

+1 There's a reason we're doing away with 10-codes and using plain English over the radio now. "Car fire" means a car is burning no matter what state you're from. As for the wife, she's usually condition white, but a "hey" and a long glance will usually clue her into whatever I'm concerned about.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    In all honesty, if I see something, or need to tell her something, I'm not going to bother with "code words" I'm just going to tell her that there's a freaky looking dude over there instead
    Hey. That was me. I was in VA not too long ago.

What about code words for situations where you need to convey "I am in trouble because that freaky looking dude over there is pointing a gun at me and told me to get of this guy".
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My wife and I have agreed on a code word, if there were a situation that required such. Not a bad idea.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I have a hard enough time trying to teach Lima basic hand signals, we've been married for over three years and she still doesn't know the hand signal for double time.
    Wow JD....you're pretty rough with a pregnant woman. Do you make Lima take the Marine PT test quarterly?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

trouble signals

i've tryed for a couple years with
    my wife. she does'nt have a clue.
    still i keep trying.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
    My wife knows if I say to do something like "get the kids out that exit now"or "Get down" in a forceful voice she needs to do it without question.
    Yup. I've went over this with my wife before. If I put my hand on my gun, she knows that means "Take Mason (our son) and get the F___ out of here ASAP."

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Wow JD....you're pretty rough with a pregnant woman. Do you make Lima take the Marine PT test quarterly?
    Weekly is best. A fit prego helps with delivery. Did the same with my wife. PT'd her until she puked. Then made her run laps.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Never considered this. Married 9+ years. We both carry. Will talk to wife about it tomorrow.

Simple Color Code of Mental Awareness.

When we enter into a situation where there is no obvious trouble but we should be more alert I say "Are you White?" and she knows to raise her level of awareness.

If something looks like we should keep aware of it I say "Yellow at [2 o'clock]".

If it's worse then Yellow or very close by, I say nothing, I just physically lead her away from the potential threat & she knows that it's pretty close to Orange & we need to move away from it.

If I grab her more forcefully to position myself between her and a potential threat she knows that it's blinking on Red.

I have a certain tone of voice, that when I use it means, "Do What I Say When I say It" we'll talk about it later.

Yes, it's my "Cop Voice". My wife is pretty good about it, but for anything else she'll give me a 20 minute discussion. I only use "Cop Voice" around loved ones when danger is imminent.

I hate 10 Codes. I can't remember if 10-14 is paperwork or "I ran out of toilet paper". Say it clearly and say it plainly.

Biker

If we are out of sight from each other and she says to 'come here' using my middle name I know to do it gun in hand. Otherwise my tone of voice determines threat level. She carries also but is not always aware of others or circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmeav8r View Post
    If we are out of sight from each other and she says to 'come here' using my middle name I know to do it gun in hand. Otherwise my tone of voice determines threat level. She carries also but is not always aware of others or circumstances.
    My wife is blond and probably couldn't remember code words under pressure. But I do like the idea of using a different name to signal a threat, I think we'll try that. Thanks.
    Mykel

more later...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links