My mom demanded I take my gun off!

This is a discussion on My mom demanded I take my gun off! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Rob99, you certainly conceal well. Dang, wish I could dance....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 91

Thread: My mom demanded I take my gun off!

  1. #31
    VIP Member Array grady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Near St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    2,837
    Rob99, you certainly conceal well.

    Dang, wish I could dance.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Senior Member Array NYcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    517
    It's hard to notice my gun when I'm stepping on their feet.
    Even this banana has better moves -->

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array Rob99VMI04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    You never did tell us whether it was against the law (probably would depend upon amount of alcohol served by the establishment). If so, she is correct. If not, you still violated the rule "always conceal - never reveal."
    Arthur Murray is a just a dance studio. They do not serve alchohol only rasberry crystal light.

    VA it is against the law to carry a firearm concealed in an establishment that serves Alchohol for comsumption; however, you may carry your gun openly if that place serves Alchohol. Also, there is an ongoing battle to whether or not there actually is a punishment for carrying concealed in a place that serves Alchohol in VA. I am not a lawyer but I've asked the question numerous times only to no avail from lawyers. Cops will tell you they will arrest you however, the punshiment to my knowledge is not listed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

    Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

  5. #34
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,657
    Missing from all of the above discussion is _--what mom says goes.

    Mom wanted it in the glove compartment, you should say, "yes mom, of course."

    I'm assuming you are on good terms with your mom, and mom was helping you out, trying to have you learn to dance for some good reason. So, you are still her son and she is still the boss lady. End of discussion.

  6. #35
    Senior Member Array youngda9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Missing from all of the above discussion is _--what mom says goes.

    Mom wanted it in the glove compartment, you should say, "yes mom, of course."

    I'm assuming you are on good terms with your mom, and mom was helping you out, trying to have you learn to dance for some good reason. So, you are still her son and she is still the boss lady. End of discussion.
    UH.....NOOOO.

    The OP is an adult and is married. Therefore I assume he is living under his own rules. He doesn't have to follow his mom's rules anymore, unless he is living under her roof(than those rules only need to be followed while he is in mom's house).

    He has another woman to control him now :)
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

  7. #36
    New Member Array 9needawin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    11
    I live in VA and this weekend, am visiting my mother back in NC for the first time since receiving CCW. To say I am a little worried about her reaction is an understatement. To be honest, I am still thinking about it, but will probably not even tell her. She would have a fit. She still remembers me shooting an "unloaded" BB gun down the hallway of the house 30 some years ago.

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array jofrdo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Posts
    709
    My wife and I took ballroom dance lessons a few years ago, before I carried. We never practiced so I've forgotten everything.

    Our daughter's wedding is scheduled for March, '09 and I've been informed that ballroom dancing refresher lessons are in my future. That's fine with me, but this time the Kahr MK9 will be in my front pocket. Typically, the lady's right hand is in the gentleman's left hand and her left hand is on his right shoulder/upper arm, so her hand doesn't wander down to his waist. Now, as one reply said, advanced dance moves may out you, but for most of us novice dancers, concealed will stay concealed.

  9. #38
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,657

    Its a life sentence

    Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    UH.....NOOOO.

    The OP is an adult and is married. Therefore I assume he is living under his own rules. He doesn't have to follow his mom's rules anymore, unless he is living under her roof(than those rules only need to be followed while he is in mom's house).

    He has another woman to control him now :)
    Sorry, being a parent is a life sentence. Being the kid is also a life sentence.

    You would possibly be right that he doesn't have to follow mom's rules if there was a conflict between what his wife wanted and what his mom wanted. In that case, and it is always difficult, the wife must come first.

    But here, we are talking about the relationship between a son and a mom. The rule is the same when you are 60 years old as it was when you were 4. Make mama happy. :)

  10. #39
    Senior Member Array youngda9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    746
    I disagree. He's married off and out of the house(I am assuming). He's left the nest, and the parents are done raising him. Time to make your own decisions and live your on life.

    It's time to cut the cord. Respect your elders and your parents, but it's time to make your own decisions in life.
    Last edited by youngda9; September 15th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

  11. #40
    VIP Member Array packinnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    So my parents invited my wife and I to come to a dance studio to learn some basic dances the foxtrot, waltz, rockstep and another fast dance I can't remember, in Alexandria Virginia, a good little league pitcher could hit the District of columbia from Alexandria. She knows I carry, my dad is one of those carry when he thinks he should people. Anyway in the car about 2 miles from the dance studio my mom said....

    "I opened the glove box so you can put your gun in".

    I responded "Thanks mom but I'm not taking my gun off"

    She turned around and said "YOU ARE NOT TAKING YOUR GUN INTO THE STUDIO"

    I simple said "Sorry mom but I am"

    "That is so WRONG" she said

    "Why is it Wrong" I said

    "Because its against the La......"

    She saw me pipe up and before she could finish the word law she stopped.

    The conversation ended.

    I didn't push it but I made it a point to dance with almost every woman in the studio. My wife is a dancer and she wanted to dance with the instructors because well I SUCK! I'm a fast learner but she wanted to do some advanced turns. BTW GUYs there was about 40-50 people in the studio and the break up was like 15 guys to 35 women. I litterly got swarmed every time I tried to take a break and sit down for a break. I asked a lot of the women what they did for a living 2 of them worked for the FBI and I think another one might have actually been a cop. I was carrying a G17 in an MTAC with a spare mag on the week side. I danced with probably 20 women and none of them had a clue I had a gun.

    After 1 an half hours of dancing we left and my mom didn't bring up the gun thing until we got home where she said did you really have it on the whole time and nobody noticed. " I said "not one of those ladies even had a clue". Her demeanor changed after that I think for the positive.
    Hmm...perhaps it's time for me to get some dance lessons
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

    "Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

  12. #41
    Senior Member Array puncho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    South
    Posts
    521
    My mother would never know if I ever started to carry.

  13. #42
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    So, you are still her son and she is still the boss lady. End of discussion.
    Nope. We're peers with a special relationship. The degree of respect that I've always held for them now has an added, expected degree of respect as a peer in the other direction. I'm an adult and in charge of my life. I'll occasionally ask for advice or suggestions ... and, occasionally they'll offer it even if not asked if they deem the issue important.

    However, here's the thing. I do not live life by their leave. Them, or anyone else. My respect for their comments stops at the disrespectful expectation I do just that. THAT would indeed be the end of the discussion, were it to occur. But then, that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  14. #43
    Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    749
    Love Momma always...but remember, they grew up in a different world. Sometimes what Momma don't know won't hurt her.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin


    Previously known as "cjm5874"

  15. #44
    Senior Member Array Sky Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lorain County, Ohio
    Posts
    849
    My Mama (bless her heart!) was delighted when I got my CHL and even more so that I carry everywhere and everywhen it's legal to do so.
    Maybe it's because she has had to fire shots in her own defense.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

  16. #45
    Senior Member Array PaulG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Hmm...perhaps it's time for me to get some dance lessons
    You got that right.

    Everytime my wife and I used to go dancing, the women would line up to get a dance with any of us guys who would dance with them. And I ain't exactly Brad Pitt!

    For the single guy, it's one of the best kept secrets. Lot's of eligible women just dying to dance.

    I think its really cool that the OP could dance all night without anyone knowing he was carrying. Talk about concealed!!!

    I also agree that while he might love Momma to pieces, he is an adult and can make his own decisions.

    I think Momma would be more upset if he got killed by a scumbag while walking back to the car.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with Bass Pro. Demanded to see my CC permit.
    By Thanis in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: December 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM

Search tags for this page

demanded my firearms

,

my mom carries a gun

Click on a term to search for related topics.