My mom demanded I take my gun off! - Page 4

My mom demanded I take my gun off!

This is a discussion on My mom demanded I take my gun off! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I tried what Rob did, I probably would've suffered a ND from tripping over 2 left feet!!! Rob, congratulations on the way you worked ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My mom demanded I take my gun off!

If I tried what Rob did, I probably would've suffered a ND from tripping over 2 left feet!!! Rob, congratulations on the way you worked thing out with your Mom, and the sucess you had in concealing and dancing!

I agree with CW9MM's perspective. I will always listen to Mom's (and Dad's) counsel, but in the end the decision is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I think its really cool that the OP could dance all night without anyone knowing he was carrying.
    This tells us that he is not holding the ladies close enough.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

My mom demanded I take my gun off!

Do what your Mom tells you, but later stick her in really bad old folks home.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Mine feels much the same way. So, she comes to visit ... and I don't disarm.
    Sadly, I won't visiting with her ever again. I'd disarm a thousand times for one more day with her!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    Sadly, I won't visiting with her ever again. I'd disarm a thousand times for one more day with her!
    Wednesday was my Mother's 77th birthday. I really do not know how many more she will have if any but I doubt very many. If she tells me to take my gun off in her presence I will do it without hesitation even though right now I can't be sure she even knows what a gun is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    My mom's 85. My days of visiting her are almost over. I'll disarm if she wants me to.

I should consider myself lucky...

My father currently holds a CCW, and my mother has applied and qualified, just waiting for it to arrive. Both are active NRA members, and both are also heavily involved in SASS. My mom was happy when I told her that I was getting my CCW.

Where it's legal, I carry. Noone is going to tell me different because they aren't going to know - that's why it's called "concealed" - and that includes my dear mother.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    When I told my mom that I was getting my CCW and planned to carry everywhere I legally could, she freaked out. She isn't as much worried about it being dangerous or somehow bad, but more that if I am discovered everyone in this area will think I am a criminal or a terrorist. She's probably correct on that point, so I suppose I have to be extra careful!

It's good to know that other people in this area do carry. When I applied for my permit, I was the 4th person that day that had done it! And, this is in a county of 200,000 people. Not too bad at all for a place that is usually described as the "People's Republic of Arlington".
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    When I told my mom that I was getting my CCW and planned to carry everywhere I legally could, she freaked out. She isn't as much worried about it being dangerous or somehow bad, but more that if I am discovered everyone in this area will think I am a criminal or a terrorist. She's probably correct on that point, so I suppose I have to be extra careful!

It's good to know that other people in this area do carry. When I applied for my permit, I was the 4th person that day that had done it! And, this is in a county of 200,000 people. Not too bad at all for a place that is usually described as the "People's Republic of Arlington".
    Those of us in the rest of the state have heard that about you NoVA people!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My Mom carried long before there were any such things as concealed carry licenses. She said, "there's nothing more illegal than being dead".
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

I carry around my 85-year-old Mom. She told me that I "don't need those around here" but she didn't demand I take it off. I didn't bother to explain that she was incorrect, just kept it to myself.

Just lost my sister 3 weeks ago (age 59!) and probably won't have my mom too many more years.

Appreciate 'em while you got 'em.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Now you understand what goood lead is in dancing a man who can keep the woman in control gracefully. The only time a women would feel your gun is in a cuddle position. Ballroom dancing is how I met my wife.

My mom died from cancer in 97, before I started carrying concealed. But she was the kind of woman that I feel would not have had a problem with it. She lived alone from the day my dad died in 79 until her death. She kept his old Ithaca 16 gauge double, loaded with #1 buck by her bed and my dad's old Colt Detective special(now my summer carry gun) in the nightstand, also loaded.

It's not a subject that has ever come up. I don't think it's ever occured to her to question me about it. Unless your parents (or anyone for that matter) see the pistol, why would it even be a subject for discussion?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links